WWII gravity knife

nFirst let me apologize for not knowing exactly what I am looking for. A friend of a friend mentioned he is looking for a WWII era military gravity knife and that is all I know. I am guessing that this is some form of paratroop knife but I don't know for sure. Anyone have any info about such things?

Thanks

They're commonly refered to as "Paratrooper knives".

I have a couple WWII era Paratrooper knives that have been passed down, needless to say not for sale. Schrade made an Auto that looks very much like a single-blade slipjoint w/ a traditional clip point. The other is a larger german version w/ wooden scales and a fold out rigging spike on the back end. I'm not sure wether it's an auto or gravity as mine has a bullet hole punched about midway through the handle. I can break it out and give you more details or perhaps photos if your interested.

To extend the blade on this knife you point the "top" or "front" of the knife downwards and press the release lever. The blade will drop out point-first propelled by its own weight, hence the term "gravity knife". You can also press the release lever and shake or flip the blade out. There are no propulsion springs to break so I guess the design is reliable. It is kind of bulky. In some juristictions (California comes to mind) any "gravity knife" would be categorized as a type of switchblade and would be illegal. Since this is a WWII relic I would normally look on ebay to find one, but since they try and conform to California laws about switchblades they might refuse to list them.

I have one of these that I would like to trade for somethin else if your freind is interested

its that colt model

Lobo103 said:
I have a couple WWII era Paratrooper knives that have been passed down, needless to say not for sale. Schrade made an Auto that looks very much like a single-blade slipjoint w/ a traditional clip point. The other is a larger german version w/ wooden scales and a fold out rigging spike on the back end. I'm not sure wether it's an auto or gravity as mine has a bullet hole punched about midway through the handle. I can break it out and give you more details or perhaps photos if your interested.

My grandfather brought one of the German ones back, too: No bullet hole (in Grandpa's case, the bullet went through him :eek: ), but the spring/latch broke and decades ago my grandpa's neighbor burned the scales a bit it trying (unsuccessfully) to fix it by brazing it back on. :mad: :rolleyes:

Still pretty neat, though...

There were also some gravity knives made for the Dutch army right after WWII that look remarkably similar to the Germany ones. A friend of mine who reenacts WWII German Falschirmjager (paratrooper) uses one of the Dutch ones for reenacting because if you use them too much the springs will wear out and he doesn't want to ruin his original.

IXL copied them during WWII also.

Weyersburg made very many of the German WWII model. They show up on Ebay quite frequently, but be warned, fakes and re-works are common. A good one usually starts at $250+.

These are also classed like swichblades in many states, so check your local laws.

There was a Blade Discussion thread back in July 2004 where another man was looking to buy a Luftwaffe gravity knife. These knives were used by paratroopers, aircrew and I've also seen photos of WWII German ski troops carrying them. A "Fallschirmjager-Schwerkraftmesser" sells for appox. 400 USD.

Here's a WWII fallschirmjäger's gravity knife:

gravity_knife_closed.jpg

gravity_knife.jpg

It was kept in a dedicated pocket just above the right knee:

guni_FJtrouser_knife.jpg

maximus otter

I picked one up at a hillbilly auction back in the 70's. The one I had came as metal handle with a release button similiar to the Microtech Ultratech. No springs involved, just gravity or inertia. I just loved that knife as a kid. I'd give my right one to get it back. :(

Awesome, thanks you guys. I will pass this thread on to my friend.
I don't know if he is looking for an original or a copy to use.

Nice pics, Maximus. Grandpa's looks just like that (except for the scorching and broken latch). I'll have to ask him again just where he got it.

IIRC, he was in combat from the relief of Bastogne to just after Remagen bridge (where he took a bullet through the femur).

I use to own an old eickhorn made for the Bundeswehr (german Army). I bought it while stationed at Rheinmain AB in the late 80's. It was a pretty decent quality knife. You do not find many here, when you do, they are usually expensive. Ive seen the ww2 ones, primarily the German, they are pretty expensive. Schrade and others over the years have produced them. Its hard to find them with them being illegal in most states. Usually the best place to find them is at a gun show, or flea market.

Back