X-42 Field Knife second!!!!

First Impression:

So I went after work to pick it up at the UPS place. I resisted opening it right away and brought it to the cutlery shop I go to to compare it to a new non-second one side by side. The guy there is very cool and always indulges me when I request to handle all the goodies at his shop.

I say to him "Hey! I just got this factory second Field Knife from SOG and I was wondering if you'd let me compare it to your retail on side by side"

He says "Sure, I'd be interested to check it out too"

So I pull it outta the box and he retrieves his from the glass cabinet. We stand there staring at them.

"hmmmmmmm....."

"ahhhh"

We flip them over.

"mmmMMMmm"

"Ah Ha!" he says "No wait, thats just a fleck of leather from the sheath"

We pick them up and check the spine and the weight.

"errrrrr"

"ehhhhh...hmmmmm"

"I got it" he says "Look....this one has some X's on it"
"But thats OK" he explains "You dont cut with the X's."

I have to say it is pretty much perfect. Maybe there is some small imperfections in the finish, no more than what a slight fingerprint would be. I also must say it is the sharpest out of the box knife I have ever bought. So, those are my first impressions of my new Field Knife and my first SOG factory second. I cant wait to go into the woods and try her out. Thanks Ron for helping me get this and thanks to yer crew for having those high standards when selecting seconds. It certainly shows.

and remember....you dont cut with the X's

I have been trying o post these pics for a hile but FTPing from my laptop seems futile. I found the flaw that might designate the knife as a second. It is a very small imperfectin in the grind. I took a shot of it with my crapo digital camera so you can see. I havent gotta chance to put through any true work, but I have many bald patches on my arm. Sharpest knife I own. I like the style too, it is very unintimidating and seems to get along well with others.
fk1.jpg

fk2.jpg

fk3.jpg

One of may computers show these pretty dark, the other does not. I can brighten it if you guys need me too.

Ah....pay no attention to the beast behind the knife

Glad to see you still like it!
I FINALLY got mine back from BC coating:D :cool:
Hard to see, except that I put it beside my Buck 110 with BG42 blade for colour comparison ;)
I have some Cocobola that cries out to be the handle on this knife, more pics when complete.

Back