XHD Series - Overall impressions?

What yall think of the new sheepdog XHD? Its kind of an unlikely XHD in my mind??, its a collab knife, so not even a full emerson design, and not exactly an iconic model compared to stuff like the 8 or some of his customs. On top of that the standard model already has a ball bearing pivot and flipper... so its not as big an upgrade in my mind, as opposed to a commander or 15, which standardly are washers and no flipper...

That said, it does look mean, and its a nice option for those of us who prefer shorter blades. And, from what i hear the sheepdog does well from a sales perspective (but again i feel that has more to do with the flipper than the design, so im not sure how good an idea it was to XHDify an already flipping model. ..)

Thoughts? Feelings?
What model do you wish they XHDify next? Id love an xhd tiger, or karambit with a 7 blade.

The Sheepdog is actually my favorite model. So not only was I surprised that they XHD'd this model...it also makes sense to me as it originally had a flipper to begin with. The only thing that has held me back from any other XHD is that the other models do not look good to me with a flipper.(Minus the HMMVK) The design of the other models don't flow well with it. I also was hoping for a CQC-12 without a flipper..... Now that would be badass.

Last edited:
I've been trolling this site since finding it a few months ago but this is my first post. I for some reason have become obsessed with knives and spent a lot of $$ in the last 6 or 8 months on what most consider premium blade steel. Of the knives I have spent my money on and used for EDC the XHD Sheepdog with the spear point blade is my favorite of all knives. I have carried the regular Sheepdog for several months and it is a little more pocket friendly but it just isn't in the same class as my XHD version.

So with that said my answer to your question as to over all impression of the XHD family of knives has to be "PERFECTION" I would not sale my Emerson XHD Sheepdog Spearpoint for twice what I paid for it today unless I had two of them. I know that sounds a little crazy but that's how much I love this knife.

I have purchased 5 different Emersons. My favorite 2 are the XHD Sheepdog and next in line is my Renegade with the richlite handle. Both are great knives but I find myself reaching for the XHD Sheepdog just about every time I leave the house. Mine feels like a well machined tool and I cannot put into words how smooth the action is on this knife and it is ready for anything that comes it's way. I don't think Emerson would go wrong if the only knife they produced was the XHD version. Maybe just have a Mini version of the XHD family of knives and a Regular version of the XHD family of knives...:) Have a good one...!

I have an XHD 15 and an XHD Commander...and love everything about both of them. The Scales, The Flipper, the weight, the size...every bit of it it is just perfect. The Sheepdog never clicked with me, and I prefer the standard Karambit to the XHD Karambit. Now the XHD 7 blade seems too small...should have been the XHD Super SOCFK. I am anxious to see what Ernie XHD’s next. I was kind of hoping for an OBS XHD SF...

I am not into the Emerson flippers and I like the 154cm from Emerson so the XHD will be a pass for me

Back