Cold Steel XL Talwar is reborn . There's new hope for Cold Steel !

Grief it appears that there is just no way for Cold Steel to win. First it was a bunch of "I can't believe that Lynn Thompson did this to me!" Then it was "well the new owners are going to run it into the ground!" Now it's "well they didn't make the knife I want!" Okay...

I'm not even a huge fan but I'm about to go buy a bunch of ther products out of spite...:D

Cold Steel isn’t going to start making its own knives, whether or not it revives the Arc Angel. They didn’t make the original, and there’s no reason to think they’d try and make their own instead of outsourcing to an American OEM.

Yes, agreed a good sign for the future of Cold Steel
pieces. (Referring to Illinois Laws) I'm confused, however, regarding Balisongs being illegal, as I am seeing other types that are, unless they're trying to say that it has only one function, that constitutes it as a 'dangerous weapon', which they seem to include stilettos, ballistic, dirks, daggers, & 'formerly' switchblades / autos., prior to now being legsi as long as one has a valid F.O.I.D. card, which makes '0' sense to me.
Then the blade lengthes comes into question.(?)
-On a side note, I'm curious as to the attraction to the Talwar style, as I would lean more to the Recon.
mentioned.
Thanks for your thoughts.
B.T.B

Yes it's called cold steel wants your input. While I do see a lot of comments about the Talwar do you not see all the comments about the arc angel? I am even counting more arc angel comments then the Talwar.

Just because they won't do it or bring manufacturing to the USA doesn't make the Talwar the more requested knife to bring back into production.

All that means is that is aligned with the companies agenda as I previously stated they probably have no intention of making another balisong because of the legality issues.
Pretty sure the arc angel is the most requested knife they wanted back since it was discontinued. People were even disappointed when they announced a new balisong and it was part of the FGX plastic series.

I believe the demand for the arc angel is bigger then the Talwar and always has been. The entire balisong community has been asking for it for years, everyone new to the balisong community says the same.

"Yes it's called"? Yeah, what I see here is you not being happy that they haven't stated that something YOU want is being rereleased. No, the Arcangel didn't beat out the Talwar in mentions, not in the slightest. About the only thing you can be "pretty sure" of is that you aren't actually certain of anything. If you want a balisong (LOL), then good for you. But Cold Steel's bread and butter has always been giant folders, and that's what people love. I don't even know how you could argue that. It's why the Talwar has been nonstop mentioned in both FB groups, multiple Youtube video comments sections, and multiple threads here. I hope they make what you want, but let's not kid ourselves. Most CS people I've seen talking about their hopes and dreams, have been talking about them continuing the Talwar, other large folders, and some of the oddball weapons stuff.

Last edited:
For that matter, I have an Arc-Angel and it ain't all that...the blades were thinner and lighter than a BM 51, I actually hacked an old BM blade into it so it'd flip worth a damn. There... I said it:p

I got nothing against balisong / butterfly knives . But still specifically outlawed many places and socially awkward . Stupid prejudice , but still real .

Cold Steel should also try to bring to shelves some decent , affordable big fixed blades , e.g. Trail Master .

But main purpose of this thread was to share some overall optimism for the future of Cold Steel in general terms . :):thumbsup:

Remember please , that these problems did not only originate with the new management . Many are long standing .

Last edited:
Even when Cold Steel had the Arc Angel in production, it was a pain. I think it was shipped in parts from the subcontractor (Camillus) to Cold Steel's Arizona office, then shipped out. Remember to reintroduce the Arc Angel, this new version of Cold Steel would have to find a willing US based subcontractor, set it up, figure out legalities, etc.... It would be slow in normal times, let alone the mess we're in now.

Back