XM-18 (3") Lockup Questions...

Professor

Gold Member
Ladies and Gents,

First off, I'm very excited to say that I'm about to pull the trigger on an XM-18 3" with flipper.

I've long been a small regular Sebenza man (been toting one since '02), and having researched extensively here, thanks to you fine folks, the XM-18 appears to be the one to give my Seb's a run for pocket time. :)

I had a few questions in particular about the lockup on the Gen3's. Lots of great pics here on this forum and elsewhere of the lockup, and it would appear that the way the blade tang ramp and lockbar face are interfaced/angled, you'd be hard-pressed to wear the lockbar all the way over, even with flipping as your primary opening means. Am I correct? Or would you say that the interface is much like the Sebenza, where white-knuckling can move the lockbar all the way across the blade tang ramp? Are the ti lockbar faces on Hinderer knives hardened? Do they even need to be, given the angles of the lockbar face and blade tang ramp?

Thanks in advance for any responses, and I look forward to joining this extended family. Rick's knives, from what I've seen and handled at shows, are IMO some of the finest out there.

Professor.

Last edited:
My Xm-18 has angled faces and appears to mate with a lot of surface area in contact. Mine locks early, as I understand most of them do. To me, it looks like it would be very hard to wear the mechanism. I flip mine open as my primary method, and mine locks solid. The thumb studs make solid stops and are in contact with Ti on both sides.

Enjoy man, no worries!
Jim

You shouldn't have any worries about the lock up. I don't think human force alone could get the lockbar all the way across the face of the tang. Buy it and enjoy. I myself am looking for a 3"; love my 3.5"s for sure.

I have a 3'' that I have opened and closed to many times to count, and there is no noticable change in lock up. Nothing to worry about.

All of my XM's lock-up early, its just by design. I cannot ever see one wearing to where the lockbar will touch the other side and I dont think you could push it there if you wanted too. I have all 3 sizes and the flipper works perfectly on them all. All are exactly the same as far as quality. The only difference is size. I am only selling one of my 3" because I am quite happy with having only one of each size and dont really need multiples.

No worries, you wont wear it out.
Here is my 3" flipper and the lockup.

18e9126b93.jpg

08c64c478b.jpg

As usual it is early one.

Hi guys, I have 2 3" XM-18. One starts it's lockup at about 35% and the other one at 50%. After using alot of force on the handle and blade by cutting something hard like wood they will both go to 65% to 70% which is a normal thing. Gress, please try that and then post a picture please. you can see the difference. I know Sebenzas have a late lockup and they can travel to 95% or even 100% by doing the same thing. It will be difficult to get an XM-18 to that point. You would need very, very much pressure!

Here is a look at my two year old 3.5 inch non flipper :D

To view in HD click the low right hand corner and change it to 720p

[YouTube]iXN6Yuyv7hY[/YouTube]

Excellent vid, So-Lo, thank you!:thumbup:

Professor.

Thanks Professor,

It's not a 3inch, but they should be about the same. Did you see the treatment on the Ti lockbar face? With both bladestops/studs being backed by a Ti slab and a Ti liner, and full tang lock up you should be set to flip that little guy for years and years :thumbup:

I have flicked mine hundreds if not, thousands of times in the last two years and the lockbar has not traveled at all. :cool:

I did notice that. That, and the angle of the lock face and blade tang ramp make for a really nice set-up.

I know you're a CRK guy too, like me, and it's a step into unknown territory when you go from a ti framelocking folder that isn't made to be flipped/flicked or otherwise opened in a ballistic manner to one that is.

Very interesting, and makes me look forward to getting an XM-18 even more.

Thanks again!

Professor.

Back