Xm-18 detent question

Shadow449

Gold Member
Just ordered my first 3.5 inch xm-18 slicer with blue/black handle. While researching these knives i came across some complaints about weak detent. I've also heard Rick does this by design. Anyone know the reason and is it really an issue or just people being nit-picky??

I think the Gen 3 has a weaker detent than the Gen 4; my Gen 4 detent is so strong I can only deploy the blade via the flipper, the thumb studs are useless.

I ordered directly from Rob so it is the newest production run. I heard these are more like the gen 3's.

I have several choices in my response to the detent question. I could simply ignore it, I could give a "fan-boy" answer as so many call certain responses, or I can just give some insight.

The XMs are users, not showpieces by design. Most often detent "issues" / "concerns" are solved with an adjustment to the pivot and if that doesn't get it done, more can be done...to include having the Ranch look it over.

But, to be honest, I own many XMs and all flip to my preferences (after I adjust them without modifing any parts) and none have a detent concern.

Mine has a detent I would consider a little weak compared to maybe the ZT 560, but I actually like it that way. Keep in mind too that if you are getting a brand spanking new one, it may take a few days to really smooth out to glass like flipping. At least that was how it was with mine, and it is the most perfect knife I've encountered.

In my opinion, the approach by Hinderer Knives is a detent that they feel is in the sweet spot for deployment with either the thumb studs and/or the flipper (remember, people use both and not every knife has the flipper). The sweet spot is determined by having an equal number of complaints on both sides (too weak for flipper deployment, too strong for thumb deployment). If 5% complain it is weak, 5% complain it is too strong, and 90% are fine with it, they have found their sweet spot.

As for non-flippers and thumbstud deployment of either flipper or non...mine work well. My 24 non-flipper is butter smooth and honestly surprised me in how well it functions as I had other expectations on non-flippers before experiencing one for myself.

I do recommend a thumbnail under the stud and quick flip of the thumb to deply the blade. I do not baby my knives but I can slowly deploy with thumbstuds also. I find it easiest to slowly thumbstud-deploy the 3, but all take very well to the thumbnail quick deploy method.

My 3" is a joke to flip, but soooooo dang smooth. I have two 3.5" 4th gen and they are both take more pressure to flip, but all are easy. I kinda like the weaker detent on the 3". It never comes open on it's own or anything though.

I ordered directly from Rob so it is the newest production run. I heard these are more like the gen 3's.

when did you order? he said they were out of blue/black and spanto was the only available grind :confused: Mine should be here monday :)

Last edited:
when did you order? he said they were out of blue/black and spanto was the only available grind :confused: Mine should be here monday :)

It's very likely that XM was not a direct order. Possibly authorized dealer or similar. But I'm only guessing.

I ordered direct from Rob earlier this week. They got slicers in Monday. Blue/black was one of the options he gave me. This handle color was not previously available. I fall into the category of customers that Rick accepts direct orders from.

Last edited by a moderator:
Impossible to dial in a detent without either it being viewed as too weak or too strong. Rick/Rob have them the way they like them. Holds the blade in position and doesn't interfere with function.

Last edited:

Originally that was all that was available (spanto). I wanted a slicer specifically so after speaking with Rob i decided to wait for them to get slicers in. Congrats on your XM. i can't wait to get mine. Are you law enforcement by chance??

Slicer 3.5's are very much wanted, if you scored one you are one lucky person.

I'm lucky to be awaiting a Hinderer period!! VERY lucky as this is the exact knife i've been waiting for. Much appreciation to Rick, Rob and the rest of the Hinderer crew.

The detent on my XM-18 3.5 flipper is pretty weak, it needs a pretty firm flick of the wrist to come out. That's the only complaint I have about it, and it's a minor one at that.

Back