XM-18 Question

I just acquired one of these 3.5" "assault vehicles" (Woo-Hoo!). However, the frame lock is almost impossible to move to the left to fold back up (Boo-Hoo)! Really takes some force to do so, and the other XM-18's I've handled are "buttery smooth" in closing. Is this just a break-in thing or perhaps a hidden problem? I know the seller changed the scale for me - might I have to loosen those screws? I've played slightly with the pivot screw but that didn't help.

Also, I'm still a little confused on changing the scale myself. I've read some procedures on the forum and I think there's even a YouTube vid on how to do it. Do I need the spanner tool even if I'm just replacing the scale on one side? I'm literally afraid to try anything until I check with you more experienced guys first.

Thanks for the opinions / advice in advance. This is an awesome knife. I understand it now that I own one.

Congrats on your first XM! As for changing the scale, yes, you will have to remove the pivot screw. Using the Hinderer spanner tool is the easiest and safest as it is obviously made specifically for this purpose. I've had a couple XM's with loose enough pivot screws that I could hold the backside with my finger and turn the screw with a flat-head screwdriver. Others require the tool.
As for the lock, I'm wanting to say I remember someone suggesting a small amount of graphite (from a pencil maybe?) on the two surfaces where the lock and the blade make contact. I could be wrong on this, so wait for the "more experienced guys" to chime in before you try it.

It should defenitly not stick.
Maybe you have a burr somewhere on the Ti lockbar.Happened with one of mine,lock was rough.
Pencil trick works but shouldn't be required for an XM-18.
Contact Rob and send her in if you keep having problems.Their service is very very good.
The scale is an original I suppose?

I didn't get that it was sticking from what I read. I am assume you are talking about lockbar tension, and this does vary a bit from knife to knife.

Back