XM-18 Sharpening Angle

nyefmaker

Gold Member
I just got my first XM-18 and even though its razor sharp, I know there will come the day when I need to sharpen it. ( I got it to use, not as a safe queen ):D I sharpen all my CRK on a sharpmaker and thats the only system I use as I find it to give excellent results. I sharpen all of my knives at 40 degrees ( 20 degrees per side ). What is the blade angle on the XM-18 and what do you guys sharpen it at ???

I looked around here and on the net and could not find anything !

I just got my first XM-18 and even though its razor sharp, I know there will come the day when I need to sharpen it. ( I got it to use, not as a safe queen ):D I sharpen all my CRK on a sharpmaker and thats the only system I use as I find it to give excellent results. I sharpen all of my knives at 40 degrees ( 20 degrees per side ). What is the blade angle on the XM-18 and what do you guys sharpen it at ???

I looked around here and on the net and could not find anything !

You'll have to do the sharpie test and see if 40* will wipe it off. If not, a slightl tilt of the hand at 40* should do it, if it's indeed 50*.

If it's razor sharp now, maintaining it after use with a strop night do it too. :)

i have been sharpening the passaround xm and it came back with the edge chipped once so i put a convex edge on it. when it came back this last time the edge held up real well and it was almost as sharp as when i sent it out. you might want to consider this option in the future if you plan on any really hard use.

i have been sharpening the passaround xm and it came back with the edge chipped once so i put a convex edge on it. when it came back this last time the edge held up real well and it was almost as sharp as when i sent it out. you might want to consider this option in the future if you plan on any really hard use.

What were they doing that chipped the edge on a stock ground XM-18?? I'd hate to put an XM on a belt or wheel but that's just me. Got any before & after shots richardj?

Can anyone recommend a good strop to use for my xm-18?

I'd post in maintenance section using part of your question as the title. knifenut1013 will be along shortly to give you advice, I have 3 strops but he's about the best on the boards IMHO. There's so many ways to strop, plus compounds to use and mediums to put the compounds on.

"recommend a strop for my xm-18" something like that. :)

i dont have any before shots but they were some posted showing the chips. it didnt take long to convex the edge and it actually held up a lot better than the v edge. the members who came by and checked it out really liked the convex edge. rolx51 has 2 and he is considering having me convex both of them. all i had to do with the xm this time was a quick pass on a well worn 400 grit to bring up a tiny burr and hit it on the paper buffing wheel and it was good to go in minutes. i use a slow running belt sander and not a high speed 1" sander that will cook an edge quickly if you're not careful.

I rolled and chipped the edge of my xm-18 the week after I got it. The chip was about 1/3 to 1/2 the depth of the original bevel. I must have hit some metal when cutting a zip tie off a my dogs crate, oh well. I was at the SMKW last week and I let their sharpener touch it up on a diamond wheel and buffer. He tried the buffer first but had to hit it with a wheel to get the chip out.

It is pretty sharp, but it changed the angle a bit. I am going to strop it and touch it up on a stone. If that does not work it is going to Richard for a convex edge. I think a little thicker angle will help me, but your taste may vary.

Adam

I'm not well versed in knife sharpening, but this morning I used my DMT kit on my XM-18 with satisfactory results. The knife wasn't dull but wasn't cutting paper cleanly and now it's back to razor sharp.

I've used the 5th hole, which is 25 degrees, although the thickness of the blade probably added a few degrees in there.

Last edited:
i sharpened the passaround xm and found out a convex edge works best compared to a v edge. i was cutting kevlar with it easier compared to the v edge.

Okay Guys, I had my sharpmaker out sharpening a fillet knife for my dad. I put the white ( fine ) rods in the 40 degree setting and took a couple light swipes with my xm-18 3.5" non-flipper. The 40 degree setting lines up Perfectly with the edge on my xm-18.

I find this to be great news as I sharpen nearly ALL my knives with the 40 degree setting. So, for those with a sharpmaker, the 40 degree setting should work for your xm-18's also.

Enjoy !!!

Was it a new XM-18? Blade length? I'm glad it's working for you since I've heard it's a lot more obtuse angle than that. Thanks for the info .... :)

So, for those with a sharpmaker, the 40 degree setting should work for your xm-18's also.

Unless we want a more acute angle, in which case, we could use the 30 degree holes. Ordinarily, 40 degrees is fine, but with a "super steel" like the Duratech 20CV, I would think that it would be able to handle a more acute edge and be a better cutter without giving up too much in strength. Of course, if you use it really hard, you may prefer the strength provided by the 40 degree holes. It all comes down to personal preference really.

Was it a new XM-18? Blade length? I'm glad it's working for you since I've heard it's a lot more obtuse angle than that. Thanks for the info .... :)

It was a New 3 1/2" XM-18 Non-Flipper.......The 40 Degrees fit the edge grinds perfectly. The 30 degrees hits the top of the edge grind never touching the edge.

i just convexed the hinderer gafirefighter sent me. i found some hair on the side of my arm and i wouldnt doubt if you could shave your face with it.

It was a New 3 1/2" XM-18 Non-Flipper.......The 40 Degrees fit the edge grinds perfectly. The 30 degrees hits the top of the edge grind never touching the edge.

How about the spanto tip nyefmaker? I heard some guys saying a SharpMaker @ 40* on the main blade and the 30* setting for the tip.

I just bought one last night for touch-ups. I've been using my strops only but plan on cutting hard with it in the spring. :thumbup:

Back