xm-18's features highlighted alongside a sebenza

Hey guys,

just made a High Definition vid of the 3" non-flipper version of the xm-18 together with a small sebenza 21.

My take on it is that it's easier to say something about a knife if you have experience with another and this is also true for a knife review. So by laying these two next to each other I try to create a better picture for the viewer.

anything bad to say about the xm-18? nah, not really, just that I prefer the 3.5" grips as it fits my hand better. For the rest: awesome knife!

it's a 4 parter (yeah, two knife reviews at the same time :D ) and there's a table of contents in the youtube info panel. If you're watching it, take the time to rate :)

enjoy!
part 1, you'll find the rest there: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qu8Lye-D-5c (sebenza vs xm-18)

Watched your vids, very good. I think you struggle at times to give the Sebenza more "props" it's a lightweight, well made, good slicer (not much better than a sharp Hinderer) like many others, take a Military for instance. There are really no comparisons for me having owned both - apples & oranges.

I'm sure that a Hinderer owner or a Sebenza owner, thinking about the other brand, may find them extremely useful. Good job! :thumbup:

Last edited:
thanks cziv,

actually, in hindsight I don't give both of them enough props.
I tried to keep the subjective "I like it very much" statements to a minimum, so much so, that it almost seems as if they are 'normal' knives :)

good feedback and thanks for the compliment.

I have been watching your vids and would like to thank you for taking the time to post them. Our collections are close and allows me to justify more buys :)

Keep up the good work

I have been watching your vids and would like to thank you for taking the time to post them. Our collections are close and allows me to justify more buys :)

Keep up the good work
thanks gunsmoke :thumbup:, I appreciate it!

zyhano,
Like I said, nice vids and very well made!
You need to work harder to make me wanting a sebbie :D

zyhano,
Like I said, nice vids and very well made!
You need to work harder to make me wanting a sebbie :D
thanks Gress,

I just answered a mail from a guy in law enforcement that already has a sebenza and he's wondering if he should get a hinderer...

here's my reply, maybe it helps for your sebbie want ;) :
"as for sebenza or xm-18: it's just what you prefer I guess, they are both great knives, can't say anything about what is best for you. sebenza is lighter though, so maybe that's a good thing for you. I feel the hinderer is a bigger beast, so it mostly comes down to weight versus strength. The hinderer is sturdier...

For self defense for someone in law enforcement, I would prefer a large sebenza. Better slicer and even though it has a weaker tip compared to the xm, it will probably penetrate better. but that is just a guess. Hinderer probably opens faster, specially with the flipper.
I can only give you advice for self defense from experience in cutting up food and spending years doing ****** training (talking about lethal stuff)

My opinion, if you would use the sebenza and forget the hinderer, there will be no loss. The sebenza is a very very nice knife and I use it a lot. The other way round would be true as well. There is no need for another knife, but I guess it's just your 'want' right?

wanna save money, stick with the sebenza, else, buy a new hinderer ;) lol

hope it helps man."

Sure it helps, thanks zyhano :)
I am not in a business saving money :D
Dont take me too seriously, though :)

Pat on the back! Fricken great review man! Good detail on comparisons and a lot of good talking points. Do you have a review with the SNG vs either or both? 2 thumbs up...5 stars!! :cool:

Now I gotta get a Hinderer! Been waiting for a reason to buy one! Your vid justifies a lot!

Hey man, thanks for taking the time to do this. Excellent vids.

I just sat back with couple brews and watched them all. :thumbup:

Pat on the back! Fricken great review man! Good detail on comparisons and a lot of good talking points. Do you have a review with the SNG vs either or both? 2 thumbs up...5 stars!! :cool:

Now I gotta get a Hinderer! Been waiting for a reason to buy one! Your vid justifies a lot!
thanks Pinecone. no sng review, but I'm thinking about maybe doing one sometime.. not sure yet. I don't have a lot of time for reviews

Hey man, thanks for taking the time to do this. Excellent vids.

I just sat back with couple brews and watched them all. :thumbup:
Cheers! thanks man, glad you both enjoyed them.

Great Vids Zyhano, very thorough. :thumbup: Reviews like that can help people make an expensive decision an accurate one, cheers.:)

Wow, thanks for that! I am just a couple of weeks into the knife world and spend every available minute looking and learning. Your video gave me some of the education I have been looking for. For what ever reason I have been lusting after these two knives.

Even though it is winter you have just motivated me to sell my little motorcycle to be able to purchase a knife of this caliber.

Wow, thanks for that! I am just a couple of weeks into the knife world and spend every available minute looking and learning. Your video gave me some of the education I have been looking for. For what ever reason I have been lusting after these two knives.

Even though it is winter you have just motivated me to sell my little motorcycle to be able to purchase a knife of this caliber.

Welcome to the dark side. :cool: "There can be only one" - Rick Hinderer's XM-18!! :D

Back