Y2 after 1 month-the best yet most dangerous edc ..

I posted back a month ago on my quest to up my edc's into a higher level of quality. I settled on Spyderco after a LOT of research. I first got the ambitious and then the persistence to check out quality of the 'value' blades and it was great. Then I settled on the yojimbo which exceeded my expectations and has become my edc. the only complaint I have is in 30+ years of carrying all sorts of blades (all kept pretty sharp) I have never cut myself as much as with the y2. Holy cow is it lethal. I have had to re-introduce myself to basic blade safety techniques and even after that I just clipped myself with what must have been a micro-mm of the tip and it opened the side of my finger right up. owch. So-of course I will continue to carry it every day with occasional ambitious and Shrade Old timers in between. Just my post one month review on the Y2. Quality-5 stars. Blade-5 stars. Aesthetics-5 stars Its unique blade design fits in well with what I use a blade for on an every day basis but the point is pretty darn easy to clip yourself with so extra caution unless your actually using it as MJ intended-self defense. In that situation-I hate to even imagine the damage that could be done.

How did you cut yourself? Was is during deployment? or closing the knife? I have nevr had a Compression lock before so it is a little different (got my YO2 on Wednesday). I also give it five stars so far. I wish they would offer a trainer for SD because it really is different from the Delica and Endura.

Anyways Congrats and enjoy (and fear) the YO2

I've got myself with mine a few times too but it's always user error. I think it may have a little to do with the blade to handle ratio...there's a lot of blade in that little handle.

You've been Spyderbitten. Welcome to the club! I'm convinced there's some kind of neurotoxin released that makes you unable to stop buying Spyderco knives.

Yep, the yojimbo is a mean little knife. I've cut myself a few times with the tip, all user error. I just started being more careful with it, but its my favorite knife, I like it more than my pm2 or native5.

Dear Dabakr:

I'm sorry to hear that your Yo2 nipped you. I guess it "claimed" you, so the two of you are now destined to be together.

The whole idea of a wharncliffe is to cut with full power all the way to the point. Most cutting actions involve moving the hand and the knife in an arc. Blades with belly to the edge cut with diminishing power toward the tip because you have to articulate your wrist to maintain the same level of pressure when you hit the belly. Not so with the straight edge of the wharnie.

I hope you heal quickly and hope your Yo2 continues to serve you well.

Stay safe,

Mike

Dear Dabakr:

I'm sorry to hear that your Yo2 nipped you. I guess it "claimed" you, so the two of you are now destined to be together.

The whole idea of a wharncliffe is to cut with full power all the way to the point. Most cutting actions involve moving the hand and the knife in an arc. Blades with belly to the edge cut with diminishing power toward the tip because you have to articulate your wrist to maintain the same level of pressure when you hit the belly. Not so with the straight edge of the wharnie.

I hope you heal quickly and hope your Yo2 continues to serve you well.

Stay safe,

Mike
Thank you for designing such an amazing knife Mr Janich. As I stated earlier, the yojimbo2 is, by far, my favorite knife. Can't wait for the cf, s90v version.

Will you be at Bladeshow this year?

So awesome that Mr. Janich actually posts here. The Yo2 is my EDC, and the first knife I can actually say I am 100% satisfied with. Every other knife I've owned, Sebs, Benchmades, have come and gone... but not my Yo2. I actually bought two. 1 for edc, and 1 for a backup for many many miles down the road when it needs replacing.

I've bought four yojimbos - two for me, two for friends.

My only complaint with my yojimbo 2 is that it has made my other EDC knives lonely. They don't get pocket time. I love my Endura's, my jendura (modified to be more wharnie like by Mr. Janich), heck, my tenacious even got lots of pocket time... but not any more.

It is just a great, comfortable, functional knife with excellent edge retention and a strong lock. It's hard not to like, and even harder not to permanently give it your strong side carry spot once you own one.

lol. Yeah, I admit to buying a few and selling them off. I always ended up buying more. I have a problem impulse buying, but the Yo2 is the only one that has made me really regret it enough to keep re-buying.

Back