Yangdu - THANK YOU & HI for my Bahadur

Given a couple of recent threads I just wanted to express my complete satisfaction with the purchase of a Bahadur knife a few weeks. (its' my 3rd HI knife. I have a kerambit and Sirupati too)

This bahadur is absolutely my favorite knife so far.

Last weekend I took it out and was shocked at what a good chopper it was. (I did some light clearing of wood stuff, but didn't expect it to go through an 1" limb so cleanly and easily)

The next day I took my daughter hunting. She is 7 years old, and she killed her first whitetail deer that morning. (I was with her, but she did the whole thing herself)

I got out my old Buck knife to field dress the deer, and then thought I'd do a little with the Bahadur.

Long story short, I field dressed the deer, removed the hide, quartered it up, deboned some of it, and took the rest to the butcher. Every time I do this I usually stop and re-sharpen my knife two times at least, or I'll go to another knife. Not this time.

I chopped a bunch of light wood on a Saturday and did not sharpen it. The next day I completely processed a deer with what had to be a partially dulled knife and I never stopped to sharpen it. It held its edge and stayed sharp and I only noticed some dulness during the last 10 minutes of work.

The knife size is perfect, its beautifully weighted, the edge hardness seems to be exactly where it needs to be, and when I do sharpen it up it will shave hair off your arm easily.

I don't have a picture or anything . . sorry about that

I'm just sitting at work and felt compelled to state my own very happy experience with HI.

The only problem I have now is that my Dad wants my Bahadur, and he isn't going to get it. 8^) (I will try to shark one if I get the chance though)

Bgz, thanks for the review. Glad the Bahadur is working out for you.

IMO We need more reviews here. As much as I like hearing the good ones, I do apreciate the not so glowing ones too. Sometimes it's the person and after they talk about it, they learn. But sometimes it's the Kami's fault and when thats the case bringing it to light helpes them be better.

Please keep us posted on the blades usage. I love hearing stories from the field.

Thank you for being a happy loyal customer and friend to HI and Kamis.

looks like a great model. on my list. eventually.

Bladite

This isn't a great picture, but it is a Bahadur at work.

bc1f812398d949a2b159cb076bcce750.jpg

Actually, there is a notch after the Western fashion (i.e. a "ricasso"), if you look closely at the Bahadur. What it doesn't have is the enigmatic, Nepalese notch or "cho."

I agree they do hold an edge really well, I've chopped with mine and cut paper afterward and it really didn't seem to lose its edge. and that's with wood..

surprised to see you even attempted to field dress with such a large blade...

good job..

I agree they do hold an edge really well, I've chopped with mine and cut paper afterward and it really didn't seem to lose its edge. and that's with wood..

surprised to see you even attempted to field dress with such a large blade...

good job..

I have never field dressed or quartered a deer with a knife longer than 5" or so. I really thought I'd get 5 minutes into skinning and then switch to a small knife. I figured the big knife would be awkward.

The knife was so sharp I never had a problem. It was tricky on the tenderloin, but the rest went great. I wouldn't say that a knife this sized is idea, but it really did have some benefits I had not considered before:

1) It held its edge, so that was nice

2) The extra length allowed me to 'reach' places I might struggle to reach otherwise

3) The heft of the blade made it easy to 'hack' through a tough part of bone/meat. With a small blade I have to carefully cut around something like the hip socket area. With this, I mostly cut to where I had a good look at the area around the socket, and then just whacked it good quickly separating the remaining connective tissues.

A few places would have gone better with a small knife, but overall I did everything faster with the Bahadur. (which was really a surprise)

I honestly think that if I have my normal skinning knife and my Bahadur with me, I'll grab the Bahadur first.

Actually, there is a notch after the Western fashion (i.e. a "ricasso"), if you look closely at the Bahadur. What it doesn't have is the enigmatic, Nepalese notch or "cho."

It's the cho that doesn't do anything for me. I prefer the Khukuri blade style w/out them. I mean no disrespect by stating this btw.

Excellent review, glad to see it standing up well to real use applications. Question: does the pointy ricasso cause any trouble? Like accidentally hooking or stabbing into stuff? Sometimes I wonder if it'll be an improvement if it's not pointy but rounded.

More reviews like these please :)

Thanks again

Mine is slightly shorter than yours with a bit more pronounced belly, but I agree-it's an allaround fantastic design and execution was perfect. The handle is super ergonomic and its size and shape are perfect for rough tasks. It has everything-straight portion, belly, forward weight, working point and ergos to match the functionality. The design is a real winner. Himalayan Imports isn't often considered a frontrunner in the WSS community, but the Bahadur along with the Jungle Knife and Annapurna are the real deal. If you're looking for a reasonably priced handmade beater, you need to take a serious look at these blades.

Excellent review, glad to see it standing up well to real use applications. Question: does the pointy ricasso cause any trouble? Like accidentally hooking or stabbing into stuff? Sometimes I wonder if it'll be an improvement if it's not pointy but rounded.

More reviews like these please :)

Thanks again

I have not had a problem with this. Most everything I've done with this knife has not required me to get back all the way to the handle.

Mine doesn't, I've considered filing it into a more practical choil shape but to be honest the handle is comfy enough that you won't need one anyway.

You're welcome. Here is another picture from my iPhone while sitting in my ambush area while hunting last week.

Again - not a great picture . . . but its me in the field with a great knife so that's good enough for me.

7f227c24658549609cf9e5174d857791.jpg

Back