Yarborough Knife Question

Does anyone know the true facts about the buying and selling of the Reeve/Halsey real Yarborough knife that has a serial number. I know if they are stolen, big trouble for someone. But I have seen them sell online in the past. I know a guy who bought one at a pawn shop. One sold here on this forum a few years ago. I also know that they are a symbol of pride graduating from GB School and their sacrifice to our country. On the Professional Soldiers forum, they understandably get upset at the GB that sell their knife and the sellers as well. Some say they can sell them and therefore can be re-sold by civilians legally. Others say it's against the law for a civilian to sell or possess them. What is the definitive answer?

No difinative answer, but would guess frowned apon but not illegal. But people are going to be financially strapped and people are going to die. I however would not care to buy, and if you buy and misrepresent yourself that I believe may be illegal.

Last edited:
If someone misrepresents themselves as a Green Beret, that is stolen valor, which is totally illegal I think.
Not "totally illegal" assuming you're talking about the Stolen Valor Act. By the SVA it's only illegal if you make false claims about having certain medals or in regard to those and do so to gain some tangible benefit (money, goods, etc.).

The 2005 version was more broad and covered service like what you said but found by the Supreme Court to be unconstitutional. The 2013 replacement is much more restricted in scope.

Thanks for clarifying that. I think it is wrong if someone claims they have served, but they have not.

Many factors to consider here. Military members are given many things throughout their career. Stuff comes and goes. As long as it’s not stolen, the manner in which it made it to a sale shouldn’t be criticized.

Thanks for clarifying that. I think it is wrong if someone claims they have served, but they have not.
Probably far more common that people who did actually serve are simply inflating their records and achievements. Pretty difficult for someone who’s never been in to fake it. Especially with so many veterans across all age groups these days.

The main thing I watch out for is someone selling a stolen one or one from someone who died in service. Sometimes the family doesn't know that it was issued, or its possible significance, especially if they have a pile of knifes and guns in the house that the family has to clear out when the guys passes.

(There were also incidents of people creating web pages and going on dating websites using pictures from guys as well.)

When one with a serial number does pop up for sale we can't resist trying to find out what class it was from and possible whose it was.

Have a good one.

Back