Photos Yard Sale Rustoration…

Purchased old hatchet for $8 at yard sale.
NfUXn16.jpg

bTEaVJG.jpg

Handle was pretty bad, so out comes the Leatherman saw and hammer/punch.
36zAMva.jpg

Head needs a scrub but I want to keep patina and original finish… Brass brush!
CzVbRFg.jpg

Not bad, needs an edge now!
DcDh6Ny.jpg

Hafted with new hickory handle, ash wood wedge, and original carbon steel safety wedge. Polished edge a little better to smooth out sharpening marks.
m8Rk8gT.jpg

ebjpDGR.jpg

Z3SQX4s.jpg

ekb8CRR.jpg

Fully restored! Bears a W.M. Beattys & Sons Chester, PA stamp with a cow. I estimate that this piece is DEFINITELY pre 1900. Still loads of life in it and a very cool project.

That came out great! Nice job.

I’ve got a small pile waiting, but I likely won’t get to them til fall.

Parker
Thanks! I have a dream of funding my hobby by restoring and selling these some day but it seems not many people appreciate restored old school hatchets so for now I’m just collecting!

What did you ruin that nice old handle for? Any real craftsman could have got that handle out without destroying it and re-used it. There was not one thing wrong with it at all.

What did you ruin that nice old handle for? Any real craftsman could have got that handle out without destroying it and re-used it. There was not one thing wrong with it at all.
I wonder if that old handle was really all that old. Looks like it still has varnish on it.

Welcome to Axe forum.
Please, do not mind grumpy old Brent Halverson (he seems to hate whole World, not just you :)) .
That haft, for sure did not look original so not really a big deal. Everybody makes mistakes
vintage-early-wm-beatty-son-chester_1_ec6b9786d9213b42b7f1b7007fb993c5.jpg

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-early-wm-beatty-son-chester-1821174638

Last edited:
Back