Yardstick? No thanks, I've got a Bowie.

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by oldmanwilly, Feb 15, 2021.

1. oldmanwilly

oldmanwilly Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 7, 2014
    So, unlike many BF members in the great frozen North, I am unaccustomed to waking up in a winter wonderland in Central Texas. I was woefully unprepared to measure the depth of the snow in my yard this morning. That was until I discovered a new unit of measurement (obviously metric is too tricky to figure out). I have now determined that this blizzard left "one Trailmaster" of snow overnight.

How deep is the snow where you are?

https://imgur.com/gallery/vnc94bI

[​IMG]

2. colin.p

colin.p

Feb 4, 2017
    I should think that you folks don't usually get snow, but more importantly, the cold. Which brings up the question: How do you heat your homes, with Oil - cheapish, gas - cheapish, propane - expensive or electric - very expensive? I would imagine that it would be very uncomfortable for those with no or poor heating.

Heck, I've lived in the GWN (Great White North) for all of my 65 years and still hate winter, cold, and "white dirt".

Getting older, oldmanwilly and Rich S like this.
  3. eveled

eveled Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 11, 2016
    An old timer friend of mine. Knows the measurements of all the things he usually has with him. Not only his knife but his body parts. He’d spread his fingers out and tip of thumb to tip of pinky was a known measurement. Tip of finger to elbow, length of his foot, length of his stride etc. Incase he had to measure something.

The really weird part is he always had a tape measure on his person.

Snow is sort of a nuisance but no matter how much you have it all melts eventually.

oldmanwilly likes this.
  4. d762nato

d762nato Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 16, 2009
    I like it, almost a bowie deep, that handles good for the cold, carbon blade not so much. Have a good one and enjoy that white stuff.

oldmanwilly likes this.
  5. pvicenzi

pvicenzi Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 25, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
    oldmanwilly likes this.
  6. oldmanwilly

Mar 7, 2014
    Most houses have some kind of A/C system that handles heating and, usually, cooling. Older houses and newer ones that can afford it have at least one fireplace. Lots of folks outside of the cities have multiple heating methods. However my rental place has nothing but an electric HVAC system that doesn't do much good without a reliable power grid. So for today, the primary heating system is a pile of blankets and a 12 lb terrier. Sadly the Trailmaster didn't get a workout today.

colin.p likes this.
  7. oldmanwilly

Mar 7, 2014
    Hey, whatever works.

8. jbmonkey

jbmonkey Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 9, 2011
    none here in florida where I am...and im glad I don't like the cold weather at all. I wear a jacket at 68 f degrees.

it was a pleasant 80s f range today. stay warm and safe y'all in Texas and out west.

oldmanwilly likes this.
  9. Barman1

Barman1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 21, 2013
    "One Trailmaster"....funny.
    Here's the drop we got recently.
    You wouldn't find that Trailmaster till April.
    Yes, that's my car.

[​IMG]

10. Barman1

Barman1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 21, 2013
    Same storm, my coworker making his way to the barn.
    [​IMG]

11. oldmanwilly

Mar 7, 2014

:eek:My goodness, you're far braver than I.

Barman1 likes this.
  12. GermanyChris

GermanyChris

Feb 18, 2015
    I'm a Floridian that likes the snow I hate winters where it just pisses rain with grey skies. When there is snow I can at least drag out the skies or show shoes and entertain myself. I feel Alaska calling me so next time I head back to the states I'm going to try to head there or the plains.

Billy The Hungry and oldmanwilly like this.
  13. DangerZone98

DangerZone98

Dec 7, 2019
    As someone who lives in Southeast Asia, holy s***.

You’d need to switch to spear or polearm measurements. Trailmaster won’t cut it.

14. Billy The Hungry

Billy The Hungry Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 11, 2020
    I live in Florida now and these native Floridians are weird to me lol. Jbmonkey isn't lying, these people wear jackets when it's below 80F.

Meanwhile my ass is melting in this 85 and 90 degree heat in February!

15. pvicenzi

pvicenzi Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 25, 2008
    Taken about 5 years ago. Half a Ford.
    [​IMG]

DangerZone98 and oldmanwilly like this.
  16. skyhorse

skyhorse Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 30, 2010
    :)
    [​IMG]

oldmanwilly likes this.
  17. McFeeli

McFeeli

Feb 13, 2017
    We got a decent bit of snow this year in Central Pennsylvania, and we’re supposed to get more in the coming days. Having a Husky means even more play time when we do get hit with a snowstorm. It’s actually something I look forward to now, mostly because of the dog. He’s happiest when he’s laying on a foot or two of snow.

oldmanwilly likes this.
  18. USMCPOP

USMCPOP Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 6, 2016
    Great snow pic:

upload_2021-2-16_15-29-51.jpeg