Year of manufacture

As far as I understand, there is no direct way to tell the year that a Spyderco was made. Is that correct? If so, wouldn't it be great if there was a mark identifying the year of manufacture on each knife?

Originally posted by phwl
If so, wouldn't it be great if there was a mark identifying the year of manufacture on each knife?
Whatever for? You want to know if it's "fresh" when you buy it? You want to have it noted when you bought it?

I find it somewhat useful that knives which have been made in significantly different variants (like steel type) are easily distinguishable, but I don't see year of manufacture as useful for neither users, dealers nor makers.

In fact, many Spyderco's have their date of manufacture on the end of the box with the bar code. This is not always the case but I know many of mine have it.

Personally I don't want/need to know when it was made but evidently many do, Microtech has always (to my knowledge) put made dates on their blades.

I preferr the "less is more" route where blades are concerned. One of my favorite knives is my MOD CQD MKII but I hate the 2 paragraph biography on the blade.

I would like the year of manufacture to be available since I will know many years from now, roughly how old it is. The stamp could just be a discreet identifying symbol. Guess most people on this forum don't think it is an interesting feature?

I wouldn't mind seeing a little code somewhere on the knife that tells the date of manufacture. That would be pretty cool.

With most Spydercos though, it's not hard to get a general idea of when it was made with a bit of research. Since many models aren't made for more than a few years and models that stick around are updated frequently, you can usually put a date on it that's fairly accurate, give or take a couple of years.

Back