YEARLY REMINDER

txlazer

Banned
This was originally posted by me back in dec,of 1998, my angel is fine now. this is just a reminder to be careful while horseing around this holiday with KIDS and KNIVES

PLEASE BE CAREFUL WITH YOUR KNIVES AROUND CHILDREN

This happened to me today
While at some close friend's home enjoying a Christmas dinner, I was horsing around with some of the small Kids (3 to 10 year's old) after the meal (trying to work off a little of what I just ate).
Well I was wrestling around with this big 10-year-old boy, and my little girl-she's 3 (my princess, my love of my life, my wife always tells me I play to rough with her) decided to get involved. She jumped on the boy then, rolled over him landed on me then on the floor. She started to say ouchy daddy ouchy on my back. I thought that maybe she had bent her back a little too much so I turned her over to rub her back. When I lifted her shirt she had a gash on her lower right side of her back about 1\2" wide and about 1" long. I picked her up to bring her into the bathroom, because of the strong lite in there, there wasn't much blood and she wasn't crying but I could see muscle tissue, I looked around to see what she cut her self on and all I could see was my belt (not sharp) buckle or maybe the clip on my new Elishewitz # 3 (auto), also not sharp. Then my right hand fell to my side and I found out what it was, The FRIGGIN knife had opened in my pocket less than an 1\8" was sticking through my blue jeans!!!!!
We took her to the hospital; the doctor put a few stitches in her did some blood work and took X-rays to see if it had punctured her lung. Everything came back OKAY "Thank you Lord" I have not received the final bill yet but I figure it will be around a grand after all is said and done. I was also told I might be getting a Visit from the "child protection agency".
I've been carrying knives (automatics) for a long time and this is the first time anything like this has ever happened this is also the last time.
While waiting to see the doctor I was looking at the knife and trying to figure out how the hell this happened. While looking over the knife, I realized that the release button for the blade is very high and only needs to move a hair before the super pointy blade shoots out. All of my other carry autos have either a recessed button or at least flush one, and also require more pressure to activate.
Please be aware of this possible problem
I don't blame the knife I blame myself
The knife comes what a ballistic cloth sheath for belt carry-but it also comes with a clip for your pocket
BOTTOM LINE LOOK AT THE RELEASE BUTTON BEFORE YOU PUT IT IN YOUR POCKET.
Gregg
This Christmas I gave my little angel a gift she'll have for the rest of her life A SCAR, I'm SORRY BABY

------------------
Unless you're the lead dog,The scenery never changes!!!
Gregg Lane
Peddler,of fine Goods

txlazer,
Thanks for giving us something to think about.

I haven't really paid much attention to this. Since I don't own any autos this subject hasn't been an issue, but I am now wondering what the potential of some of my one handed folders opening inadvertantly in my pocket would be.

I'm going to take a closer look. I bet that it's not impossible.

--The Raptor--

I've often been tempted to get an auto but always worried about a razor-edged blade opening by accident in my pocket. I'm glad i didn't have to learn the hard way. Thanks for the warning.

Andrew Limsk

------------------
"Praise not the day until evening has come;a sword until it is tried; ice until it has been crossed; beer until it has been drunk" - Viking proverb

Glad everything worked out. My son got ahold of one of my knives and sliced his hand open to the bone. I have never felt so badly about anything. It took a long while to get over the feeling I had. He is better now and has a healthy respect for knives, a good thing I guess.
Merry Christmas to you and your little angel, and to all the other members of your family as well.

An excellent reminder, Mr. Txlazer.

Some people set the pivot tension on their conventional folders very loose to make one-handed opening easier. But, if the knife falls out of your pocket while rolling around with the kids, for example, the blade may fall open on the ground posing a great hazard.

Wrestling playfully with dad is a great bonding experience for children, but just make sure that it's only dad that the kids are wrestling with.

------------------
Chuck
Balisongs -- because it don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing!
http://www.balisongcollector.com

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Keith Montgomery:
Glad everything worked out. My son got ahold of one of my knives and sliced his hand open to the bone. I have never felt so badly about anything. It took a long while to get over the feeling I had. He is better now and has a healthy respect for knives, a good thing I guess.
Merry Christmas to you and your little angel, and to all the other members of your family as well.
</font>

kent, i happy to hear that your son is okay, the feeling of doing something or owning something that injures our own kids is hard to get over.
my child has also learned to respect sharp objects.

------------------
Gregg Lane
Peddler,of fine Goods

BTTT

------------------
Gregg Lane
Peddler,of fine Goods

Thanks for the post, txlazer. I had a Benchmade folder open in my pocket once... no harm done other than a torn pocket, but after that I haven't carried any folder in my pocket that could accidentally flip open.

Ryan

------------------
For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Romans 6:23

Last year my son 2 1/2 years old picked up my opinel that i had just stropped the edge on and managed to remove the fingerprint from his left thumb. No blood or juice-just a fine curl of translucent skin.It happened so fast that I still have trouble picturing how it happened.Talk about a wake up call.I'm careful now to the point of being overly paranoid but I got lucky once and I'm not taking any chances.
happy holidays
troy

.......I just had a similar incident happen to me last week, with my Kershaw Boa, I always carry it clipped inside my right hand Jean pocket, Never locked of course,Stupid me,it felt funny so I reached in and recieved 11 stiches, for being just plain Dumb, and it was my trigger finger to boot!!!No more combat matches at the gun club for 2 or 3 wks.....God bless you and your little angel and a Merry christmas and Happy New Year to you and your family......Ironhorse...

Great warning!

I have a little girl that will be 3 years old next month.... She is my pride and joy! I would do anything in the world for her, and I love her more then words can express! It almost bewilders me how much one can truly love another little creature!
smile.gif

My daughter seems to show a real interest in knives.... When she was really young, I would hold her in my lap, and read knife mags/books to her
biggrin.gif
... To this day she and I talk knives quite a bit!
smile.gif

Anyway, about a year or so ago, I had a little Marbles Sport 99 out looking it over, and she came up looking/asking about it.... Well, being the good knife knut father that I am, I started showing her the knife trying to explain it to her... She wanted to "hold" it, but I knew better. So, I just held it in various positions letting her look at it... I have ALWAYS (since she was a baby) tried to explain to her that my knives are SHARP, and that they will cut you bad! But, for some reason (shes as hard-headed as her mother) she just had to touch it, so, she (with lightning speed) reached out and grabbed the blade.... Fortunatly she released it about as fast as she grabbed it..... I quickly put the knife down, and inspected her finger. She had a VERY tiny little paper like cut, but it scared the hell outta me.... There wasn't even a need for a bandaid, but it really scared me!

Since then, she and I no longer play with fixed blades
smile.gif
I have showed, and let her handle a lot of folders since then, but I just cannot trust her with another fixed blade... To this day, as soon as she gets ahold of a folder, the first thing she wants to do is, "Can I open it daddy?" ---- Just like her mother I tell you....
smile.gif

ALWAYS use extreme caution when dealing with children and knives! It is great to teach them about them, but remember, they not very smart at 2-3 years old!
biggrin.gif

------------------
When I die, I wanna go in my sleep like Grandpa did.... Not horrified, and frozen with fear like his passenger!!!

Back