Yeouch!!!! BF Native IS Sharp!

Dan, thought of you last night. Flicked "something blue" shut last night and didn't quite get my pinkie out of the way quickly enough. Now I know why we have finger nails
biggrin.gif

BTW it's great to see so many members grabbing the BF Native while they're still available. IMNSHO this has got to be one of the very best production folders around, what other knives in this price range have such excellent materials and outstanding construction? I know you won't be disappointed.

------------------
Take care,
Clay

Don't worry that the world might end tomorrow....in Australia it's tomorrow already.

Clay, you mentioned above about quickly losing the scary sharp edge on the BF and I just wondered if this was due to the factory edge being what it is.

Have you tried regrinding the Native or your Wegner Jr at just the 30 degree bevel... omitting the 40 degree step altogether?

I seem to remember Sal mentioning in the 204 video that Spydies are shipped with a 30 degree grind versus the standard 40 degree.

This would account for the scary sharpness, and also for why it loses that quality so fast.

The conventional knowledge is that we need the 40 deg grind to get a tougher edge, but this appears to be at the cost of getting it really sharp. Getting it to factory edge(Spydie standards) may mean nothing more than regrinding the edge at 30 deg only...at the cost of time and edge retention.

Just a thought.

Oh, I should add that my BF Native should be on the way now.

[This message has been edited by Longden (edited 10 September 1999).]

Longden,

The edge is still very sharp, enough for anything I am likely to use the knife for, just doesn't scare the hair right off my arm anymore. In any case I have a full beard so I'm unlikely to need to shave with it
smile.gif
. I have given it a few swipes on the white sticks of my Sharpmaker at 20 degrees just in case there was a burr.

The other trick I've discovered is to steel it each evening on a Raz-R-Steel from Razor Edge, this seems to keep the edge feeling very sharp. I was going make a separate post on this steel. I have found it to be the perfect companion to the Sharpmaker, takes the guess work out of what angle to use
smile.gif

------------------
Take care,
Clay

Don't worry that the world might end tomorrow....in Australia it's tomorrow already.

[This message has been edited by Clay Kesting (edited 10 September 1999).]

Clay, how sweet of you to be thinking of me... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!! And that's what you got for doing so.
smile.gif

Hope it heals up soon, though.
smile.gif
Mine's completely sealed already, though it STILL looks like a scalpel cut... ugh!

Yes, I think Longden is right. Maintaining Spydie knives at 30-degrees would put it back to the factory edge. A 40-degree edge bevel would be tougher, but will be less sharp due to the thicker edge.

Dan

I was expecting them to arrive today... now I have to wait the weekend out!

Stupid old AFCK wannabe Spydercos... Soon as the Natives get in you boys are RETIRED!

------------------
I mean, if I went around saying I was an Emperor because some
moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, people would put me away!

Just had to toss in my own two cents to the original title of this thread -- it was either that or start a new one called "I know why the BF Native has a reversible clip"...

You see, the clip is reversible so that, once you've sacrificed the fingers of one hand to it, you can flip the clip over and carry it on the other side -- my serrated BF Native arrived yesterday, to keep my plain-edged one company, and within an hour or so I managed to plough a neat arrangment of little furrows on the back of a right-hand finger, so I'm carrying the knife in my left pocket for the time being
smile.gif

-- Carl

Great. Just Freaking Great. Now I'm an ADDICT.
I am going to have to buy another Spyderco!
Now that I have been packing dual Natives... My AFCKs were going into the sock drawer - well my Wife is now packing my regular AFCK. So my coated mini may have to go up for a trade. Accepting ONLY spyderco trades...

------------------
I mean, if I went around saying I was an Emperor because some
moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, people would put me away!

Back