Yep.. It Works

I believe I said I would start a thread after I had a chance to use this knife, and give some thoughts on it.

sDbuhVwh.jpg

Well this weekend was the first firearm deer season in Illinois and I finally had a chance to get the knife dirty. Shot a deer on friday and butchered it yesterday.

It came with a fantastic edge, it would clean shave arm hair. So sharp I didn't even touch it up before I used. Possibly the only knife I have bought where that has been the case. John, I would love to know your sharpening process.

I had brought a couple other knives to use in the butchering process, but every time I started using them, I quickly returned to the Redmeadow. It just works incredibly well. Handle is well contoured and extremely comfortable. The blade is ground nice and thin, super light and almost instinctive to use. It is what a knife should be.

This is the first knife I have had in 52100 and it held a fantastic edge. I was concerned that with all the contact with bones (especially when cutting out the backstraps) that the edge would be a little messed up. Not the case at all. After deboning and cubing up the meat it would still shave the hair off my arm and shows no signs of dings or flat spots in the edge.

I couldn't be happier with it.

P7bDKOgh.jpg

WfyH6ulh.jpg

ptgZriEh.jpg

Congrats on the venison. I'm seriously jealous. Next year will be my year.
52100 has quickly become my number one choice in blade steel and John's grinds are stupid good.
That is a beautiful hunting knife.

Oooh I like to see that blade get some character like that:thumbsup:

How is the sheath working out? That one sat pretty deep but I liked the retention.

Congrats on the venison. I'm seriously jealous. Next year will be my year.
52100 has quickly become my number one choice in blade steel and John's grinds are stupid good.
That is a beautiful hunting knife.

Thanks Mack. I hope it will one day have the same reverence as my Great Grandpa's pocket knife.

Oooh I like to see that blade get some character like that:thumbsup:

How is the sheath working out? That one sat pretty deep but I liked the retention.

I do too. Can't wait to see it in a few years.

The sheath is great. I didn't actually have it on my belt while I was using it because I had a jacket on, but it works well and looks great at the same time.

And another fan was born! Thanks for the review Coop, and congratulations on your deer kill too. May the memories of your hunt stay with you forever, and your belly remain filled. I love your post, absolutely love it. Smiling ear to ear. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Shel said it best right there.
Thems there is some mighty kind words that bring a smile to my face.

I hear you about wearing a sheath, between coats, packs and slings, anything on your belt is annoying. I've got a design for a set of knives in a leather slip case with a pocket for an ID and huntin license. One of the knives is similar to yours and the other is a bullnose. I've drawn it a hundred times, just haven't made it happen. If you ever wanted to work on something like that, let me know.

I am not in the market for new knives at the moment, but I would enjoy seeing something like that come together.

I just meant to collaborate on a design, I think we have the same ideas about simplicity. I never assume a sale, those are just possible side effects.

awesome. just stumbled across this forum. love the knife coop. any usage updates? Pics, pics, pics! ;) :D

congrats on the deer. hope you are well. cheers.

awesome. just stumbled across this forum. love the knife coop. any usage updates? Pics, pics, pics! ;) :D

congrats on the deer. hope you are well. cheers.

Updates? It is still a great salami knife.:D

I used it to slice up some mushrooms and onions for a dutch oven pizza last night. Obviously not the intended purpose, but it worked great and will likely see more kitchen usage.

I am well Todd, pretty swamped with classes and such this semester. Thanks for asking. How are you?

Updates? It is still a great salami knife.:D

I used it to slice up some mushrooms and onions for a dutch oven pizza last night. Obviously not the intended purpose, but it worked great and will likely see more kitchen usage.

I am well Todd, pretty swamped with classes and such this semester. Thanks for asking. How are you?
tell me again, for forestry right (or something like that)? when are you done? and i’m alright thanks. Patriots today. and it’s my birthday. so, i put on my favorite pair of socks and i’m heading out to a big gun show. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Yep, forestry. Probably done in december as long as I don't decide to do grad school.

Happy Birthday, buddy. I hope it is a great one!

Back