1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Yes another bevel jig

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by scott kozub, Jun 9, 2019.

1. scott kozub

scott kozub Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I made a bevel grinding jig a while ago for sharpening and doing bevels but didn't really use it much. Then I got an order for an ulu. Man are these hard to grind. Anyways the old jig was perfect for this so I figured I'd make a quick video and it may help someone. It's very versatile and accurate but most of all easy to dunk the blade.

P.Brewster, WC53, Thadbow and 7 others like this.
  2. jll346

jll346 Knife maker Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 29, 2006
    Very neat jig

3. Brock Cutlery

Brock Cutlery KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 10, 2015
    I like it.

4. Ken H>

Ken H>

Dec 31, 2011
    Slick - I've sent the link to a buddy who might be interested. Good job, on both jig and video.

5. john april

john april KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 27, 2006
    cool idea !

6. Kali4nia

Kali4nia

Aug 12, 2015
    Simple is elegant!

7. Mitchell Knives

Mitchell Knives Knifemaker Moderator

May 21, 2000
    Great solution!

8. KCGGBC

KCGGBC KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 14, 2012
    Very clever. :thumbsup:

9. scott kozub

Jan 1, 2018
    20190610_181003-01-01.jpeg I had intended to use it for sharpening as well but set it aside till I had to make this ulu.

10. kmf600

kmf600

Jul 2, 2018
    How hard is it to re-align the blade of you flip ot over to grind the other side? Will the bevels match or do you adjust it a little with every pass to make both sides match? Like the idea.

11. scott kozub

Jan 1, 2018
    I just flip the knife over and go. I dont know the exact accuracy but definatly a fraction of a degree. Make sure to tape it because the magnets can scratch it. Each turn of the screw is very precise. You need to look very closely for the new facet. I usually do 2 turns when moving a grind up or down. Really easy to move a grind up at the outer edges and feather it in.

The really handy thing is the fact that the blade isn't fixed to the rod so when you do a longer blade you can rotate the blade to keep it perpendicular to the belt of that makes sense. I also keep a finger on the blade to control pressure and monitor heat.

kmf600 likes this.