Yet Another Circular Saw Blade Question(s)...with a twist!

I was gifted a pile of table saw blades from a well-meaning relative, I gave them a quick look; some are typical soft carbide-tipped blades, but there are also some older 10" non-tipped blades that have me curious. Searching around, I found some pics that provide information:
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Are these harder than more modern blades, i.e.- better for knife making? Or is Chrome-Nickel Molybdenum the same "tough" metal used today?

I understand and respect the garbage materials = garbage final product argument, however I usually butcher anything I try building/making the first few (hundred....sometimes) times, and I know that experience is an excellent teacher so what I'm I looking at here? Something fun to play with but don't hold your breath? Poisonous chemical absorption potential? vintage heirlooms? "Not too shabby for free"?

Thanks in advance for any help, Cheers! :D

I think the larger wood saw blades use to be L6 steel, which would make a decent knife. I don't know if they used L6 on the smaller circular saw blades.

Last edited:
What I have done with such materials is cut a piece off.
If it seems hard against a file heat it up a few times and let it cool slowly ( in sand or pearlite plant stuff ) soften or normalize it.

Then I heat it till non magnetic and try quenching it in oil or water.
If a good file scates or it breaks when I smack it with a hammer then it has hardened and I know I should be able to make at least a medeocre blade from it.

Last edited:
Back