Yet another "waht do you think about this knife I want to buy" thread

I am thinking of buying a Spyderco Harpy. I think that the hawkbill blade would lend itself well to slashing cutting and self-defense if necessary (hopefully never necessary).

Does anyone have any firsthand experience with this knife? I have heard a lot of good things about Spyderco, but have yet to get one.

Here is a link to the knife on Spyderco's site, and below that is a pic of it.

http://spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=3

C08_M.jpg

Any info will be appreciated.

Thanks

I don't think about knives in relation to self defense.

I've toyed with the idea of getting a Harpy for use around boats & when fishing, but I haven't gotten one yet because there are so many other items on my list. :p

Gave one to my old man for sailing. They lock like a vault and are very well built. There is also something so unexplicably sexy about them. In terms of performance, thay go through thick synthetic rope like butter. One swipe. I don't think that there is a better knife for rope (or carpet, etc). For SD, it would be OK but SS isn't ideal for grip and I would personally stay away from serrations for that use. But man can they ever eat up rope.

I'm a newbie to the Harpy, and hawkbills in particular myself, the Harpy is a *great* knife, solidly built, *NO* horizontal or vertical blade motion when open, locks up as solid as a bank vault, it feels like a fixed blade knife when open

i'm no expert on using a knife defensively, but i'd reccomend not looking at the knife as a self defense "weapon", it's a tool, great for opening boxes, cutting fruit (oranges and apples), opening envelopes, cutting ropes in a marine environment, etc...

a knife should only be used as a defensive tool as an absolute last resort, after situational awareness, avoidance, running away, pepper spray, etc... have been exhausted, if you're in an unsafe situation and you flash the knife *first*, it might end the situation, more likely, it may *escalate* it...., and if you strike first, *you* may be considered the assailant, not the perp.

a knife is a defensive tool of last resort, you'll find most of us here on Bladeforums actually dissuade/downplay usage of knives as defensive devices

hawkbills are incredibly good user blades for day to day chores, the Harpy is good for heavier uses like breaking down boxes and such, for light use like opening envelopes and cutting packing tape closures on packages, it's a bit of overkill, the Spyderco Cricket is a much better choice for the little stuff like envelopes and packing tape, and opening hermetically sealed clamshell packages

go for the Harpy, great knife, but be warned, you will come down with a disease called "Hawkbillitis", the Harpy's a "gateway" knife, once you find it's many uses, you'll start wanting more hawkbills, like the Tasman Salt, the Cricket, the Dodo, the Civillian........

I can't speak to SD, but the Harpy is a GREAT knife. Very handy for the stuff I do, boxes, packing, tape, rope, twine, fiberglass tape, trimming drywall, etc.

just this afternoon, i was dealing with a very stubborn bag of Green Mountain coffee (Tanzanian Peaberry, MMMMMM), the bad *did not* want to open, it was like it was welded shut....

well, we'll see about that, sink in the tip of the Harpy, and pull....

zzzzzip!, the top of the bag flopped off, no resistance, no fuss, like i was cutting air