You can't argue with something that works

But sometimes it fun to do so anyway ;)

I was looking at YouTube for some other stuff and found a couple of interesting vids.

Knife sharpening 101
and
Knife sharpening 101 part deux

Sometimes we get so wrapped up in strops,paper wheels, sharp-maker, 12000 grit waterstones, hair whittling sharpness or other such things.
Sometimes it is amazing to see other people live happy lives, without such things. :eek: :eek: :eek:

I don't thing that the knife edge can hold a candle to some of the peoples knifes here, but it seems to be more then needed for the task at hand :)
Sometimes we don't need the very bedst, at times less will work.
Anyway, I liked them and thought I'd share.

She said the knife runs right through the tomatos, but it looked like she still had to force it some. I agree with whatever works best for a person, but that still bothers me. When she ran her fingers over the edge to check the sharpness! I don't think she knows how to handle a sharp knife. :p

I'm glad that it works for her, but she's not touching one of my knives, even if she do got a magic-magnetic-edge-whatchmaycallit.

I was cringing a little, watching that. I was afraid for the edge and her safety (though more for the edge). It also sounded like she was shooting for a 60-degree inclusive angle. fortunately she didn't actually have the blade at 30 degrees.

She said the knife runs right through the tomatos, but it looked like she still had to force it some. I agree with whatever works best for a person, but that still bothers me. When she ran her fingers over the edge to check the sharpness! I don't think she knows how to handle a sharp knife. :p

Yeah defiantly a "DEAR LORD WHAT ARE YOU DOING WITH THAT KNIFE ??? :eek: :eek: :eek:" moment :p

Well I give her credit for trying but she really has no idea what she is doing. She failed to hold a consistant angle on the stone then completely ruined the edge with a steel, then we got to see how a knife with a bad burr from a poorly steeled edge cut about as well as you think it would.

Yeah, I've watched that video before. She obviously is getting something done, but she doesn't really give any directions, and who knows what the edge is like.

I guess "it works for her", but it's not much of an instructional video.

Brian.

Over 12K views when I looked at it. Scary.

I helped a friend of my wife with sharpening lessons. She had just been using a steel and doing hundreds of passes per side. Now she is on the path with a Spyderco Sharpmaker and diamond rods.

Proof the internet is full of bad advice. Almost a 150K views and nearly a 4-star rating, holy cow. Let's just turn off the video comments and live in our bubble of ignorance. Why not. It's not possible that anyone else in the world could possibly know more about sharpening knives. :jerkit:

It's amazing how people can blow off advice by claiming others are just "know it all's" instead of listening and trying to learn something. Or better yet discussing. Using the phrase "it works for me" is just another example of ignorance at play. Maybe she should ask herself a few simple questions:

Is it possible to make it work better for me?

Is it possible I could refine my technique and achieve better results?

Is it possible there may be an easier or less time consuming way to achieve similar or better results?

Is it possible some of the advice I'm getting might be worth thinking about?

Is it possible I'm not as good at this as I think I am?

The answer is of course YES. All those things are possible. Why bother to ask the tough questions though. Instead I shall continue to consider myself an authority on knife sharpening worthy of taking the time to make instructional videos to post on the internet for the entire world to view. And I shall not allow that world to comment for fear that my authority be undermined by the knowitall masses.

Oh, and it doesn't take much of an edge to cut a cherry tomato. Let's see a demonstration with a nice big soft and tuff skinned hothouse.

"It works for me."

I'm sure we've all said it at one time or another. Lately I've been careful about using that phrase. I try do develop my own ways of doing things. Sometimes it works out and I find a new and better way of accomplishing a task. I'm careful to remind myself to always be on the lookout for a better way.

I feel I can sharpen a knife pretty well. I could be satisfied, but I'm not. I'm always trying new techniques and tools (funds permitting), in the search for a better edge.

This woman has no idea of how to sharpen a knife for any purpose. This is actually so bad that it is hard for me to watch.

The sharpening advice on Youtube is pretty useless for the most part. There might be 4 in 10 vids that will get a sharper edge than when you started, provided you started not being able to cut paper. There may be 1 in 10 or less that will actually get you a good, usable edge by most standards here. J. Nielson and Nohz's videos come to mind, as well as Murray Carter's, that fall into the realm of actually showing how to get an edge that is sharp. I also think this video is painful to watch. Keep in mind though what Leonard Lee said. Most people are happy with their kitchen knives if the edge cuts better than the spine. Also, for what its worth, that stone will get you a hair whittling edge if used properly.

There is always that little bit you can learn from anything though. I particularly liked the one where a sharpening device was made from some spare printer parts, some sandpaper and rubber bands.

I remember when I was a kid trying to cut cheese with one of my mom's kitchen knives. I had the knife upside down, with the spine on the cheese and the heel of my hand pressing hard on the edge. I didn't even know I was doing it wrong until halfway through the block. That was a dull knife.

I remember when I was a kid trying to cut cheese with one of my mom's kitchen knives. I had the knife upside down, with the spine on the cheese and the heel of my hand pressing hard on the edge. I didn't even know I was doing it wrong until halfway through the block. That was a dull knife.

Hahaha. My parents had similar knives growing up. They still have some of them.

My poor mom. I redid all her kitchen knives with my paper wheels. I hope she'll be okay, they all slice curly cues into loose newsprint and shave hairs like a razor. Some of her old bread slicers were super dull and had almost invisible serrations, I redid the whole edge on those. :D She'll be over for my daughters B-day party this weekend to pick 'em up. Can't wait to see what she thinks.

This woman has no idea of how to sharpen a knife for any purpose. This is actually so bad that it is hard for me to watch.

Apperntly she has a pretty good idea of how to sharpen a knife well enough to cut a cerry tomato.

The sharpening advice on Youtube is pretty useless for the most part. There might be 4 in 10 vids that will get a sharper edge than when you started, provided you started not being able to cut paper. There may be 1 in 10 or less that will actually get you a good, usable edge by most standards here. J. Nielson and Nohz's videos come to mind, as well as Murray Carter's, that fall into the realm of actually showing how to get an edge that is sharp. I also think this video is painful to watch. Keep in mind though what Leonard Lee said. Most people are happy with their kitchen knives if the edge cuts better than the spine. Also, for what its worth, that stone will get you a hair whittling edge if used properly.

There is always that little bit you can learn from anything though. I particularly liked the one where a sharpening device was made from some spare printer parts, some sandpaper and rubber bands.

Well compering the standard here with normal people, is like a formula 1 race driver complaining about a Toyota yaris ability on a race track :):p

Yeah, I think we all have friends that we would love it if they took that good care of their knifes :D

Proof the internet is full of bad advice. Almost a 150K views and nearly a 4-star rating, holy cow. Let's just turn off the video comments and live in our bubble of ignorance. Why not. It's not possible that anyone else in the world could possibly know more about sharpening knives. :jerkit:
It's amazing how people can blow off advice by claiming others are just "know it all's" instead of listening and trying to learn something. Or better yet discussing. Using the phrase "it works for me" is just another example of ignorance at play. Maybe she should ask herself a few simple questions:

Is it possible to make it work better for me?

Is it possible I could refine my technique and achieve better results?

Is it possible there may be an easier or less time consuming way to achieve similar or better results?

Is it possible some of the advice I'm getting might be worth thinking about?

Is it possible I'm not as good at this as I think I am?

The answer is of course YES. All those things are possible. Why bother to ask the tough questions though. Instead I shall continue to consider myself an authority on knife sharpening worthy of taking the time to make instructional videos to post on the internet for the entire world to view. And I shall not allow that world to comment for fear that my authority be undermined by the knowitall masses.

Oh, and it doesn't take much of an edge to cut a cherry tomato. Let's see a demonstration with a nice big soft and tuff skinned hothouse.

If this is the attitude:)thumbdn:) she get from using her free time to make something that others might enjoy, and some find helpful, I'm surprised at how polite she is, in only calling people "know it all's"

Well I give her credit for trying but she really has no idea what she is doing. She failed to hold a consistant angle on the stone then completely ruined the edge with a steel, then we got to see how a knife with a bad burr from a poorly steeled edge cut about as well as you think it would.

I like this response :thumbup:
I don't like it, when all people do is complain
There is a difference between constructive criticism and and just plain badmouthing people.

Back