You guys are great!

Guys, I just want to say that you are great! I am a noob when it comes to knives but I am really interested in the history of them. I have been looking around on here for a while at the info. I love this site and you guys are great at what you do. I have never been into the hunting game much (fishing is my game) but just about everyone carries some sort of cutting tool including me. Until here recently I really didn't pay much attention to what I was buying just that it would do what I needed. You guys have changed the way I look at these knives. Thank You.:thumbup:

The reason I started this thread here was that I recently was handed a knife from my dad that he said was his grand pa's. I was wanting to see what I could find out about it. I have looked around and can not seem to come up with anything. I would just like to know how old it is and what it was originally designed for. I will get some pictures if needed but they way you guys act you probably won't need them.

It is a single blade and the lock back is up next to the hinge. The blade is a curved blade like a birds beak. The knife is about 4" long closed. It has the usual "Camillus New York USA" on one side and the number 1 on the other side.

Anyone have any idea what I have.

Thanks so much! It looks to be the utility pruner that was made many many years. I can't seem to fined a year they show it with a shackle. They only show them with a cord hole. Was the shackle an option or something?

Your knife is a Camillus Model #1 Hawk Bill Pruning knife (07 pattern). Camillus made them with or without a shackle and with or without a liner lock. The knife was made after WWII as indicated by the model #1. Camillus made this knife before WWII, but it would have a different stamping on the tang and would have a different model number (probably 4 digits).
If you can send a close up photo of the Camillus stamping we can give you an approximate date when the knife was made.
Tom Williams

You guys are the chit! I have some good memories of my Great Great grand pa and this is just adding to it. Let met get that picture for you, and again guys, Thanks and Merry Christmas!

O.K here you go. Excuse the shape of it. This was my GG grandfathers everyday knife. I don't know how to clean it up yet to not hurt it...........

DSCN3281.jpg

DSCN3279.jpg

DSCN3278.jpg

Vit_213, the Camillus is not slanted like the 80's series. It is still a broad time period.

I could be wrong, but I think it's the middle of the 80's.

I don't think that is possible because he passed in the early 80's at the age of 74. He didn't get around very good after the mid 70's. This is very good info though. I am really enjoying this and looking around. It has gotten me to look up some of the other knives I have that were my grand pa's. Thank you guys.;)

Vit_213, the Camillus is not slanted like the 80's series. It is still a broad time period.

I have carefully studied the knife #1 pictures in catalogs and noticed that the shackle has begun to emerge from the 1986-87 years. Before that, there was a hole. At the same time, we know that is not slanted stamp used for folding knives up to the 80th.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Note that there is no pin through the cover near the bolster indicating that this knife probably uses studs to fasten the covers to the linings. Camillus began using stud construction in the early 1970's.
Tom Williams

Looked over the information on Larry's site and Vit is correct about the shackle in the 85-87 time frame. Catalogs from 85 to 87 are not there and the shackle appeared in the 88 catalog but not in the 84 catalog (just the small hole).

Back