You know, back in 1931.......

Did you notice the name of the firm to order the knife from...
I wonder what came 1st the company of the lawyer.

Larry,you still have the eyes of an EAGLE.....Scout, that is.

I wonder if they were like KnifeWorld and offered a free.....trial?

TTYL,

bILL

Youth's Companion was a very early name for Boy's Life, only used until about 1914. I'd go to great lengths to get one of those.

To my knowledge the earliest use of a celebrity to advertise a knife ( at least in this country was New York Knife with the testimonial from Buffalo Bill. ) The knife in question is a camper style with a Buffalo Bill shield. This has to be pre 1900 since Bill was a friend of Col Bradley who owned NYK but sold in 1903. Bradley was a medal of honor winner and so was Buffalo Bill however Bills commedation was recinded. It seems that during this period the government told the public that since so many acts of heroism had gone unrewarded during the war ( indian and civil wars ) any one who felt they deserve one could explain there reasons and apply for the nations highest award. This would be a one time opportunity. Bradley got his for his actions at Chancelorsville ( spelling sorry to lazy to look up ). Bill put in for his for a one on one shoot out with an indian chief who called him out western style on horseback guns a blazing arrows a flying any way Bradley got to keep his ( which did not hurt him in his future as a legislator ). Bill however did not get to keep his, upon review it was recinded. The indian chief never applied for one since Bill was a decent shot and after the incident he never said anything again. Anyway these fellows both knew each other and Bradley wanted to cash in on Bills rep Bill just want to cash in on anything. Hense ( neat word ). We have the New York Knife original Buffalo bill. I am showing a few pics with the knife in question ( I have a few of these and this one is not the greatest but, they are pretty rare.) Now as rare as this knife is the flyer ( endorsed and written by old BB himself is even rarer. Mine is a copy and I know of two originals. One was sold on ebay for around 400 dollars the seller is a friend of mine) ( Not bad for an old throw away flyer ). The other belongs to someone else I know, who acquired his, in a rather interesting way. Years ago when the old NYK building was condemned ( long before my time) . The building was torched and demolished. Imagine what got lost in that exercise. Believe me I know of some of the stuff I even know where some of it is. Anyway in the process of walking near the building as it was torn down my friend who was just a kid saw this piece of paper floating around so he picked it up and took it home viola and there you go a chunk of history preserved. I guess sometimes the answer my friend is blowing in the wind. He was good enough to let me make a copy or two which is what the one in the pics is.

I recently went to an auction and bought a library magazine rack if I ever can get the legislation and backing I would like to fill it with old ads magazines ect which I already have a building full of, going back well over 100 years. What a waste for people not being able to have access to this history all due to an idiot law and lack of interest. Oh well there I go being the lone ranger again.

By the way the bill to amend the NYS law regarding the legal display for automatic knives has been reintroduced by Sen Larkin NYS and Assembly woman Gunther. The head of the commitee is Sen LaValle NY. Who I really have no idea of whether or not, has looked into what the whole thing is about. I have ( when I found out he was involved sent him as much pertinent info as I could ). If anyone even if not a constituent would want to drop him and email regarding bill 3243 with you opinion on legalizing the display of these artifacts for educational and historical purpose ( whatever your feeling ) It would help to get them to resolve an answer or at least read the material I have written and sent. I am not a politican I found the email by simply putting his name in to YAHOO and then the email to contact him. I really expect nothing I believe it is all smoke and mirrors to stop all the trouble I have stirred up in the past. Perhapes Larry you could repost the link the the Road to Beaucracy article explaining some of the years of frustrantion and lies which have gone on over the past few years. I know a lot of the new guys have no idea of what I am babbling about. Enjoy the pics LT

Back