You know you're in trouble when....

You ask the counterperson at Brookstone if they have the SOG CrossCut or CrossGrip in stock, and they look at you with that blank stare that says, I have no idea what this guy is asking for, but if I don't answer, maybe he'll go away.

I walked into the Brookstone store at the King of Prussia, PA, mall. I saw a SOG CrossCut in a display case. I was going to get one for my brother for his birthday.

The nearest salesperson was doing damage control with an unruly child someone had dragged into the store, so I was on my own.

I went to the counter and posed my question. The person then tracked down every salesperson in the store, and not one of those guys know what a CrossCut or CrossGrip was, let alone what SOG was.

They were so out of touch with what they were selling, they tried to sell me a SOG Pocket Power Plier as a CrossCut. I then, very quietly and politely, told them about pliers-based vs scissors-based mini-multitools, as well as a small bit about SOG itself.

One of them actually said, "Hey, at least we know what this is now."

It really was very sad. And their multitools were overpriced by a good $10.00, to boot!

Craig

Hey Craig,

That's a sad story.
frown.gif
I know that some employees can't know everything they sell, but instilling customer confidence is important. The "blank stare" is very unprofessional. Brookstone is a great dealer of ours and carries the CrossCut, CrossGrip and Pocket PowerPlier (possibly among others). Hopefully you got what you needed regardless of the service.

------------------
Ron Andersen
Consumer Services Manager
SOG Specialty Knives, Inc.

Email: ron@sogknives.com

[This message has been edited by Ron@SOG (edited 03-12-2001).]

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ron@SOG:
Hopefully you got what you needed regardless of the service.
</font>

Well, to be honest, no I did not. They no longer had any CrossCuts in stock, only Pocket Power Pliers.

As usual, I found what I needed on the Web, at The Cutlery Shoppe. They offer the CrossCut for $21.00 and the CrossGrip for $23.10. Those are great prices.

Brookstone has always been a fine place to shop. Their salespeople have always been helpful and knowledgeable. I hope what I encountered was an anomaly.

Craig

Back