You said CUDA MAXXs are made where?!?

I had an interesting experience yesterday. I went to the Ballston Mall near my home on some errands and checked out the Remington Razor store which used to carry a very nice selection of cutlery. To my great disappointment, it was under new ownership, a Pakistani fellow, who had bought the franchise when the old owners went bankrupt, or so he said. His selection of knives now included no products of any major makers; nothing from Gerber, Swiss Army, or Buck, let alone such makers as Camillus, Western, Spyderco, or BenchMade. All that was on display were a whole bunch of cheap POS junk from China and Pakistan. When I asked why he no longer carried any of the name-brands, he proceeded to give me a lecture on how none of them sold and how they were too expensive to stock. I looked a bit puzzled and asked about such "up-market"(?!) items as the Gerber E-Z Out and he became quite excited, saying that it was just too expensive a knife for him to carry!

Now to the Camillus connection. I was carrying my CUDA MAXX 5.5 and he eventually noticed it in my right front pocket and asked about it. I told him what it was and asked if he wished to see it. He said that he did, so I brought it out and opened it slowly, so as not to startle the guy. He looked at it and informed me with all of the assurance of a bazaari that, despite the statement on the blade that it was a USA product, it was really made in China. Since there is no other country of origin on the knife, as required by law, I contend that it must be an American product, but his damned smugness did rattle me. I am still convinced that you guys do make them in the USA and thought that you would like to know of this character that is, IMO, trashing your name and reputation. As I said, the store is a Remington Shaver franchise in the Ballston Mall on North Wilson Boulevard in Arlington, Virginia.

BTW, I have no problem with buying decent quality items from such people as Paul Chen and his forge in Hanwei, Manchuria. It is the POS rip-off companies that I cannot stand. The same apples to the Indian Subcontinent. Look at what Uncle Bill imports from Nepal as examples of good to excellent products as opposed to the junk knives from Pakistan that have steel so hard that it takes a diamond hone to sharpen them.

He's right that it is an expensive business to be in. Probably, for a $1000 investment in American made knives, you might be able to buy 30 or 40 knives and make back maybe $1300. Whereas, if you buy $1000 worth of Pakastani knives at $1 or $2 apiece and resell at $5 each, you turn a profit of $4000.

However, you are right in that knives must have country of origin on them. More importantly, you are right that those knives and all Camillus knives are MADE IN CAMILLUS, NEW YORK, USA! We have a factory full of good workers who would love to sit down and "debate" that with this gentleman.

The important thing is that you know that they were made in Camillus and that this guy was just trying to sell his product and didn't care what he said to do just that. Sadly, there are plenty of people out there doing the same thing. Thanks for being a customer and feel free to print this and take it back to him. Of course, he'll just deny it anyways.

I am simply disgusted with the whole damned thing. :barf: That used to be a good, if pricey, brick and mortar store but they started going downhill about four years back, maybe more. What a shame!

Hanwei, Manchuria? might want to update that map of yours, don't think anyone actually uses that except in reference to the old days.

Funny thing about that, but I've seen that description of where Paul Chen's works is located many times and nobody has ever been bothered by it. I have also seen it as Hanwei, Manchuria, China and as Hanwei, China. Please see the March, 1999, issue of SwordForum Magazine Online at http://swordforum.com/mar99/main.html] in which they have an article on Paul Chen's katanas described as follows:
The Manchurian Candidates: Chinese-made Katanas - A side-by-side comparison of all available Japanese-style swords made by Chen Chao-Po in Manchuria, China. By WarAngel, Editor, SFMO

Note: "Paul Chen" is the English or American version of his name, the transliterated Chinese version is "Chen Chao-Po".

Part of post originally posted by FullerH
BTW, I have no problem with buying decent quality items from such eople as Paul Chen and his forge in Hanwei, Manchuria. It is the POS rip-off companies that I cannot stand. The same apples to the Indian Subcontinent. Look at what Uncle Bill imports from Nepal as examples of good to excellent products as opposed to the junk knives from Pakistan that have steel so hard that it takes a diamond hone to sharpen them.

Also, BTW, if you were to read the above paragraph properly, you might note that, from the context in which I talk of Paul Chen and his works, it is quite clear that I am speaking of China, for I speak of the Indian subcontinent and then mention Bill Martino and Himalayan Imports as my other example of quality workmanship that is possible.:)

Back