You won the lottery($1.5 billion/$930million). What's your dream shop?

So I need to figure out how I'm going to build my dream shop after I win the lottery tonight. :D

I'm thinking a couple large steel Morton buildings with sealed areas for forging and grinding. They would all have AC/heating and high end ventilation systems of course. Multiple TW-90 grinders and a couple TAG-101s. Horizontal grinders, disk grinders, surface grinders, bridgeport mill, power hammers, forge presses, forges, BIG anvils, oh my.

I'm thinking that I'd starting keeping a lot of the knives that I made too. I'd definitely only make the knives I wanted to make. I'd probably try and pay master smiths a boat load of money to come and help me get a better grasp of pattern welding(and other high level methods).

Anyways, how would you build your shop/s if you hit the lotto?

Well, it would be in the middle of a 1000 acre ranch in Wyoming with a trout stream running through the middle of it. It would have a view that would definitely hinder my work. I would contract out JTknives to build me enough of those stainless KMG grinders that I wouldn't have to change tooling arms. One polished out stainless grinder per attachment. And then it would have a paid staff that did all the hand sanding and heat treating. Heck, I may just hire the fella from Peter's! Central dust collection and a clean up/organization crew. I also would have a full machine shop and pay Nathan the machinist to show me how to run it. And then once a year fly everyone out for a hammer/grind in with all the food you could imagine..... Man I hope I win!

well, you have remember taxes......after that, you'd only have about $450 million.....so that might limit you:D:p

Bill

Build [and equip for all contingencies, i.e. EMP, etc.] a great survival retreat in Colorado for my son. As for me, A well found 46' sloop to cruise the caribbean for a few years.

The majority of my winnings in a series of Trusts for wife and self, my son and her sons/children.

EDIT: I cannot post on threads that are in the "Around the Grinder" section. I guess if this thread isn't appropriate for this section then go ahead and delete it.

So I need to figure out how I'm going to design my dream shop after I win the lottery tonight. :D

I'm thinking a couple large steel Morton buildings with sealed areas for forging and grinding. They would all have AC/heating and high end ventilation systems of course. Multiple TW-90 grinders and a couple TAG-101s. Horizontal grinders, disk grinders, surface grinders, bridgeport mill, power hammers, forge presses, forges, BIG anvils, oh my.

I'm thinking that I'd starting keeping a lot of the knives that I made too. I'd definitely only make the knives I wanted to make. I'd probably try and pay master smiths a boat load of money to come and help me get a better grasp of pattern welding(and other high level methods).

Anyways, how would you build your shop/s if you hit the lotto? The jackpot is $1.5 billion and after taxes is $930 million.

I would just get 100m2 building for my workshop and home 150m2.

Couple of MAZAK machines, some manual machines, and live from %.
And still live, like now.
Just I will not fear the future that I don't have money to buy food, rise kids, pay their education etc.

Moved to the Community Center Forum. Shop talk is for knife making discussion, not fun chit-chat. That is what ATG is for in this sub-forum.

........Offending comment removed.........

Last edited:
Like Stacy said. Just a suggestion, buy a membership not another knife.

My knifemaker's membership just lapsed a little bit ago and I haven't gotten around to restarting it(I've had to move the last couple months). I've purchased two memberships since I've been here and I'm going to renew my knifemakers membership once I finish rebuilding my shop.

Last edited:
Time for everyone to cool off, I'd say. Let it ride, guys. Perhaps it could have been handled differently, hopefully it will be next time.

To answer your question, I think if I hit the lottery I'd head in an entirely different direction. As money isn't a concern any more with my paltry $1.4 billion, I'd slow down and do it rustic. Tai's lifestyle isn't a bad one, and in many ways makes a heck of a lot of sense. A good anvil would be nice, and maybe a little cabin/forge shop to keep it in, out of the elements. A nice assortment of files and stones, and a bench to use them on.

More stuff simply means more complications, and if it's not adding to the experience, what's the point?

I know have a shop that's 7" X 9" with lots of making stuff like belt grinders and such. I think I might get some wall paper to put up.
I've always tried to use what I now have and be happy with it.
Frank

I know have a shop that's 7" X 9" with lots of making stuff like belt grinders and such. I think I might get some wall paper to put up.
I've always tried to use what I now have and be happy with it.
Frank

Dang, that sounds like you're VERY good at managing your work area. I'd love to see pics. Lord knows I need to improve that aspect of my shop lol.

As far as being happy with what you have, I agree. I'm happy with what I have. If I won the lotto, I wouldn't change my routine much.That being said, one of the only things we often get from buying lotto tickets is the ability to dream about being a millionaire. :D

I removed the comment. It wouldn't have been made if you told me about your membership expiring in your initial email. All water under the bridge, now.

James and I talked it out and are good. Hopefully James will be re-registered soon and this will be a moot point.

Unfortunately, I didn't win the lottery, so any plans I had are also moot :)

Last edited:
Back