1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Your 2018 Traditional Knife Of The Year

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Jack Black, Dec 4, 2018.

1. dc50

dc50 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 14, 2006
    Well said Ron well said.:thumbsup:

Half/Stop likes this.
  2. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 25, 2001

Wow. That Kelly is amazing!!! Just sayin’.

DB_Cruiser likes this.
  3. paulhilborn

paulhilborn Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 22, 2006
    HAPPY NEW YEARS fellow forum members:thumbsup::) Now I have waited till the very end due to several reasons, and the number 1 reason, is that it's been a very difficult choice. I have MANY contenders but will list the #3, #2 and the 2018 Knife of the Year:thumbsup:

#3, A 2018 Oregon Trapper in deep rich reddish Cocobolo covers, ideal pull and centered blade and the knife fills my hand perfectly, a gift from my friend Duncan Morgan:cool:
    [​IMG]

#2, another mind blowing gift from my brother from down under, again, Mister Duncan Morgan. A GORGEOUS (first release) Washington Jack in beautiful smooth red bone:thumbsup: (Paul chants) I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy!!!:D
    [​IMG]

Knife of the Year... hands down, #1 is my ebony Churchill, this knife checks many boxes and attempts to not carry it were futile:eek: I mean, it wasn't that I didn't want to carry it, it was more that I had so many other knives I'd like to carry but the Churchill just routinely ended up in my pocket even if I started the day with another knife. So many attributes make this such a great knife, perfect size, easy to carry, my favorite covers and quite possibly my favorite blades:)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks Jack, this is a great thread:thumbsup:

FLymon, Jolipapa, meako and 35 others like this.
  4. Half/Stop

Half/Stop Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Thank you Dave! :)

5. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    I acquired lots of knives this year, including generous gifts from Porch members and satisfying purchases I made. Which, if any, is worthy of Knife of the Year?

Since I adopted the idea of having a rotation schedule that dictates what knives I carry each week, I find this KotY exercise more challenging, since I can't just go by what knife I've carried the most. (One reason for the schedule is to try to give all my knives somewhat equal opportunities to be carried.) Also, Jack lays out his rules for eligibility for KotY and I have some rules of my own, and Jack's rules and my rules are sometimes at odds. For example, only knives obtained in 2018 are eligible, but I really struggle considering any knife I haven't had for 5 or 6 months, so probably at least half of my knives are NEVER eligible. So I argue with myself about whether I can relax my "5 or 6 month" criterion in some cases (or I consider falsifying dates on which I come into possession of knives :rolleyes:).

If I didn't insist on having a knife for a good portion of the year in order to be eligible, I think I'd probably join many who have already chosen their Ashley's Choice lambsfoot as KotY.
    cj.pile.patina.leafcart.jpg
    My AC, which I named Cracker Jack, is certainly a charming knife, I've probably already taken more pics of it than I've taken of any other knife I own, and it's IMHO a standout in substance and style. But I must "to myself be true" and ultimately decided that it's too new to be KotY.

What knife did I end up choosing? Well, I certainly DO like stag covers ever so much, and I've been a fan of Rough Riders ever since I bought my first set of 12 assorted patterns. I had the opportunity in 2018, thanks to @black mamba, to purchase 4 old Rough Riders in stag that were produced before I ever got reinterested in pocket knives. One of the ones Jeff sold me is a medium stockman, a favorite pattern of mine with slender clip, low-riding sheepsfoot, and almost sunk joints. That knife, as a representative of the 4 knives I was able to get and as a representative of stag-handled knives in general and as a representative of my beloved Rough Riders is my KotY 2018:
    stagmed.pile.closed.jpg
    - GT

Camillus, Gevonovich, PaulS. and 19 others like this.
  6. JTB_5

JTB_5 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 6, 2017
    Sunken joints are very attractive and functionally nice as well! Nice choice Gary!

7. DB_Cruiser

DB_Cruiser

Jul 17, 2018
    Thanks! It was an amazing find. If this was not just about knives, my choice would have been harder. It was neglected but not abused so I cleaned the head, did some minor repair to the original haft and put it all back together. This axe has some history and is a joy to use.

Buzzbait likes this.
  8. Mikael W

Mikael W Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 21, 2007
    2018 saw 5 new knives for me, but two were meant as gifts for our girls boyfriends.
    Both were GEC #78's, one in Ebony and the other in Smooth White Bone.
    That leaves 3 knives and the latest was the AG Russel Pinched Peanut.
    A great Gentlemans Penfolder IMO, but I tend to pick the LM Ps4 over the Peanut.

Two knives left and both are GEC #78's in Stag, one as a spare & one for use.
    So my No.1 for 2018 is the 78.
    What's not to like.

IMGP6415.JPG

It's fairly thin for a staghandle these days, nicely figured and a useful pattern for the pocket.

Regards
    Mikael

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
    Lostball, Gevonovich, PaulS. and 17 others like this.
  9. Travman

Travman Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2016
    I’m choosing the 46 Whaler as my 2018 knife of the year. Mainly because it is the flashiest GEC makes. It isn’t flashy with fancy materials. However, this is the one that is most likely to attract attention from knife lovers and the general public. For the first few years I kept my nice pocketknives to myself. The only time I showed them off was here on BladeForums. When I use this one in public there is a good chance a conversation is about to get started. It is true that it is a large knife and some my shy away from carrying it, but it is all relative. It is smaller than my cell phone which I carry everyday. It did have a firm pull for many, but with use it has become much easier, almost like it loosened up. Also, my fingers are strong, so an 8 out of 10 pull is no big deal for me.
    [​IMG]

I liked the Musclebone 46 so much that I had two sheaths custom made to be able to carry it on my belt and free up some room in my pockets. I also bought a Desert Ironwood version just for fun.
    [​IMG]

One of the 14’s would be my runner up. These were well made with nice snap and lots of beautiful versions.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
    315, Lostball, Jack Black and 19 others like this.
  10. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    I've enjoyed looking at the whaler every time you post it. Great knife.

Travman and dc50 like this.
  11. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Thank you for your very kind words Ron, and for the nomination, I am honoured my friend :) :thumbsup:

Sincere apologies for not being able to post here in better style or a more timely fashion, due to illness, folks. Thank you to everyone who contributed a Knife of the Year, the posts this year have been better than ever, and I really enjoyed seeing what everyone chose :thumbsup:

Jack

12. Old Hunter

Old Hunter Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 12, 2012
    Glad you are on the mend Jack. This is one of the highlight threads of the year - much like a church picnic, everyone brings their best! OH

Prester John likes this.
  13. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Thank you very much my friend, nice analogy :) :thumbsup:

Prester John and Old Hunter like this.
  14. Half/Stop

Half/Stop Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Thanks to you Jack! I hope you continue to get well soon my friend!

Jack Black likes this.
  15. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Thank you very much Ron :) :thumbsup: