Your 2018 Traditional Knife Of The Year

My 2018 Knife of the year is, my Ashley's Choice Lambsfoot. This knife is also from A. Wright & Son, Sheffield England! It was also secured as an SFO in limited numbers for the Guardians of the Lambsfoot by Jack Black Jack Black Jack Black . These knives were built under the watchful eye of our friend Jack and were all made by one cutler. Each one is unique, being made with old Sambar that Wright's had available. Each knife is truly special. I know that Jack has invested a lot of his own time and money getting these knives made. With the travel to and from and the headaches associated with getting them made to his specifications, all who are privileged to own one owes a debt of gratitude to Jack. I know I am personally extremely thankful for my Ashely's Choice. I am however more thankful for the friendship of our friend Mr. Jack Black! :D
Well said Ron well said.:thumbsup:

I have been fortunate enough this year to discover how much I enjoy knives and axes. I have been living with a Kershaw Leek and a SAK Cybertool for the better part of 10 years and never really considered anything else. That all changed this year and I purchased 14 knives and 5 axes since April. I definitely like them all, but my top 3 buys are a vintage Kelly Works cruiser axe (which I cleaned and rehung on the original haft), a Helle Dokka and a vintage Opinel No. 7.
IMG-5550.jpg

The axe isn't a knife, so that's out. I am deeply attached to the Dokka, but to my surprise, that little Opinel is just a lovely knife that I am fascinated by. From my research (and I am no expert) this knife was manufactured some time between 1955 and 1967 (the year I was born). If so, it is at least as old as I am and quite possibly older. It has aged gracefully and appears to have been well cared for. I enjoy the idea that it has history and has survived so many years so well. It is inspirational to me. In any event, of all the knives I have accumulated this year, this one is very special to me and is my 2018 knife of the year.
IMG-5538.jpg

Wow. That Kelly is amazing!!! Just sayin’.

HAPPY NEW YEARS fellow forum members:thumbsup::) Now I have waited till the very end due to several reasons, and the number 1 reason, is that it's been a very difficult choice. I have MANY contenders but will list the #3, #2 and the 2018 Knife of the Year:thumbsup:

#3, A 2018 Oregon Trapper in deep rich reddish Cocobolo covers, ideal pull and centered blade and the knife fills my hand perfectly, a gift from my friend Duncan Morgan:cool:
W8UA5A.jpg

#2, another mind blowing gift from my brother from down under, again, Mister Duncan Morgan. A GORGEOUS (first release) Washington Jack in beautiful smooth red bone:thumbsup: (Paul chants) I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy!!!:D
m0uLz0.jpg

Knife of the Year... hands down, #1 is my ebony Churchill, this knife checks many boxes and attempts to not carry it were futile:eek: I mean, it wasn't that I didn't want to carry it, it was more that I had so many other knives I'd like to carry but the Churchill just routinely ended up in my pocket even if I started the day with another knife. So many attributes make this such a great knife, perfect size, easy to carry, my favorite covers and quite possibly my favorite blades:)
PIfEMb.jpg

0bSWuZ.jpg

Thanks Jack, this is a great thread:thumbsup:

I acquired lots of knives this year, including generous gifts from Porch members and satisfying purchases I made. Which, if any, is worthy of Knife of the Year?

Since I adopted the idea of having a rotation schedule that dictates what knives I carry each week, I find this KotY exercise more challenging, since I can't just go by what knife I've carried the most. (One reason for the schedule is to try to give all my knives somewhat equal opportunities to be carried.) Also, Jack lays out his rules for eligibility for KotY and I have some rules of my own, and Jack's rules and my rules are sometimes at odds. For example, only knives obtained in 2018 are eligible, but I really struggle considering any knife I haven't had for 5 or 6 months, so probably at least half of my knives are NEVER eligible. So I argue with myself about whether I can relax my "5 or 6 month" criterion in some cases (or I consider falsifying dates on which I come into possession of knives :rolleyes:).

If I didn't insist on having a knife for a good portion of the year in order to be eligible, I think I'd probably join many who have already chosen their Ashley's Choice lambsfoot as KotY.
cj.pile.patina.leafcart.jpg
My AC, which I named Cracker Jack, is certainly a charming knife, I've probably already taken more pics of it than I've taken of any other knife I own, and it's IMHO a standout in substance and style. But I must "to myself be true" and ultimately decided that it's too new to be KotY.

What knife did I end up choosing? Well, I certainly DO like stag covers ever so much, and I've been a fan of Rough Riders ever since I bought my first set of 12 assorted patterns. I had the opportunity in 2018, thanks to @black mamba, to purchase 4 old Rough Riders in stag that were produced before I ever got reinterested in pocket knives. One of the ones Jeff sold me is a medium stockman, a favorite pattern of mine with slender clip, low-riding sheepsfoot, and almost sunk joints. That knife, as a representative of the 4 knives I was able to get and as a representative of stag-handled knives in general and as a representative of my beloved Rough Riders is my KotY 2018:
stagmed.pile.closed.jpg
- GT

I acquired lots of knives this year, including generous gifts from Porch members and satisfying purchases I made. Which, if any, is worthy of Knife of the Year?

Since I adopted the idea of having a rotation schedule that dictates what knives I carry each week, I find this KotY exercise more challenging, since I can't just go by what knife I've carried the most. (One reason for the schedule is to try to give all my knives somewhat equal opportunities to be carried.) Also, Jack lays out his rules for eligibility for KotY and I have some rules of my own, and Jack's rules and my rules are sometimes at odds. For example, only knives obtained in 2018 are eligible, but I really struggle considering any knife I haven't had for 5 or 6 months, so probably at least half of my knives are NEVER eligible. So I argue with myself about whether I can relax my "5 or 6 month" criterion in some cases (or I consider falsifying dates on which I come into possession of knives :rolleyes:).

If I didn't insist on having a knife for a good portion of the year in order to be eligible, I think I'd probably join many who have already chosen their Ashley's Choice lambsfoot as KotY.
View attachment 1046538
My AC, which I named Cracker Jack, is certainly a charming knife, I've probably already taken more pics of it than I've taken of any other knife I own, and it's IMHO a standout in substance and style. But I must "to myself be true" and ultimately decided that it's too new to be KotY.

What knife did I end up choosing? Well, I certainly DO like stag covers ever so much, and I've been a fan of Rough Riders ever since I bought my first set of 12 assorted patterns. I had the opportunity in 2018, thanks to @black mamba, to purchase 4 old Rough Riders in stag that were produced before I ever got reinterested in pocket knives. One of the ones Jeff sold me is a medium stockman, a favorite pattern of mine with slender clip, low-riding sheepsfoot, and almost sunk joints. That knife, as a representative of the 4 knives I was able to get and as a representative of stag-handled knives in general and as a representative of my beloved Rough Riders is my KotY 2018:
View attachment 1046544
- GT
Sunken joints are very attractive and functionally nice as well! Nice choice Gary!

Wow. That Kelly is amazing!!! Just sayin’.
Thanks! It was an amazing find. If this was not just about knives, my choice would have been harder. It was neglected but not abused so I cleaned the head, did some minor repair to the original haft and put it all back together. This axe has some history and is a joy to use.

2018 saw 5 new knives for me, but two were meant as gifts for our girls boyfriends.
Both were GEC #78's, one in Ebony and the other in Smooth White Bone.
That leaves 3 knives and the latest was the AG Russel Pinched Peanut.
A great Gentlemans Penfolder IMO, but I tend to pick the LM Ps4 over the Peanut.

Two knives left and both are GEC #78's in Stag, one as a spare & one for use.
So my No.1 for 2018 is the 78.
What's not to like.

IMGP6415.JPG

It's fairly thin for a staghandle these days, nicely figured and a useful pattern for the pocket.

Regards
Mikael

Last edited:
I’m choosing the 46 Whaler as my 2018 knife of the year. Mainly because it is the flashiest GEC makes. It isn’t flashy with fancy materials. However, this is the one that is most likely to attract attention from knife lovers and the general public. For the first few years I kept my nice pocketknives to myself. The only time I showed them off was here on BladeForums. When I use this one in public there is a good chance a conversation is about to get started. It is true that it is a large knife and some my shy away from carrying it, but it is all relative. It is smaller than my cell phone which I carry everyday. It did have a firm pull for many, but with use it has become much easier, almost like it loosened up. Also, my fingers are strong, so an 8 out of 10 pull is no big deal for me.
FWDImqV.jpg

I liked the Musclebone 46 so much that I had two sheaths custom made to be able to carry it on my belt and free up some room in my pockets. I also bought a Desert Ironwood version just for fun.
wDI2gGM.jpg

One of the 14’s would be my runner up. These were well made with nice snap and lots of beautiful versions.
0N4qoKT.jpg

QlXRl4Y.jpg

Last edited:
I’m choosing the 46 Whaler as my 2018 knife of the year. Mainly because it is the flashiest GEC makes. It isn’t flashy with fancy materials. However, this is the one that is most likely to attract attention from knife lovers and the general public. For the first few years I kept my nice pocketknives to myself. The only time I showed them off was here on BladeForums. When I use this one in public there is a good chance a conversation is about to get started. It is true that it is a large knife and some my shy away from carrying it, but it is all relative. It is smaller than my cell phone which I carry everyday. It did have a firm pull for many, but with use it has become much easier, almost like it loosened up. Also, my fingers are strong, so an 8 out of 10 pull is no big deal for me.
FWDImqV.jpg

I liked the Musclebone 46 so much that I had two sheaths custom made to be able to carry it on my belt and free up some room in my pockets. I also bought a Desert Ironwood version just for fun.
wDI2gGM.jpg

One of the 14’s would be my runner up. These were well made with nice snap and lots of beautiful versions.
0N4qoKT.jpg

QlXRl4Y.jpg
I've enjoyed looking at the whaler every time you post it. Great knife.

I've almost waited to late to post this. My time management skills have suffered lately. You would think that a retired person would have all the time in the world. Think again!!! There is always something going on. I have narrowed down my candidates and will list them in order. I have acquired several knives this year. Too many to be exact! These standout!

My 3rd place choice is from Great Eastern Cutlery. This knife is the brain child of Charlie Campagna @waynorth and Bill Howard along with the wonderful crew at Great Eastern Cutlery. The 2018 edition of the Ancient TC Barlow. This knife is one that was meant to be carried and used. As Charlie always says "A Barlow in every pocket!" The knife lived up to the billing. It was made in quantities that probably delivered Barlow Bliss to around 500 people!

42646237494_56a485873a_b.jpg

My 2nd place choice is from A. Wright & Son, Sheffield England! It was secured as an SFO in limited numbers for the Guardians of the Lambsfoot by Jack Black Jack Black Jack Black . These knives were built under the watchful eye of our friend Jack. This knife is one of the 2018 editions, the Ebony. I chose the Ebony over the Horn model for a couple of reasons. First I am the proud owner of two beautiful 2017 Guardian editions in Horn, one being the very limited "Midnight Special". Second, I love Ebony! The Ebony is beautiful on this knife. It may not be jet black like some Ebony, but it is buttery smooth and a joy to carry and handle. It is a special knife!

41553909470_34b1900a6e_b.jpg

My 2018 Knife of the year is, my Ashley's Choice Lambsfoot. This knife is also from A. Wright & Son, Sheffield England! It was also secured as an SFO in limited numbers for the Guardians of the Lambsfoot by Jack Black Jack Black Jack Black . These knives were built under the watchful eye of our friend Jack and were all made by one cutler. Each one is unique, being made with old Sambar that Wright's had available. Each knife is truly special. I know that Jack has invested a lot of his own time and money getting these knives made. With the travel to and from and the headaches associated with getting them made to his specifications, all who are privileged to own one owes a debt of gratitude to Jack. I know I am personally extremely thankful for my Ashely's Choice. I am however more thankful for the friendship of our friend Mr. Jack Black! :D

43755957045_f040671f12_b.jpg

Thank you for your very kind words Ron, and for the nomination, I am honoured my friend :) :thumbsup:

Sincere apologies for not being able to post here in better style or a more timely fashion, due to illness, folks. Thank you to everyone who contributed a Knife of the Year, the posts this year have been better than ever, and I really enjoyed seeing what everyone chose :thumbsup:

Jack

Glad you are on the mend Jack. This is one of the highlight threads of the year - much like a church picnic, everyone brings their best! OH

Thank you for your very kind words Ron, and for the nomination, I am honoured my friend :) :thumbsup:

Sincere apologies for not being able to post here in better style or a more timely fashion, due to illness, folks. Thank you to everyone who contributed a Knife of the Year, the posts this year have been better than ever, and I really enjoyed seeing what everyone chose :thumbsup:

Jack
Thanks to you Jack! I hope you continue to get well soon my friend!

Back