Your definition of the Perfect Internet dealer!

OK What is your definition of the Perfect Internet dealer!

NO NAMES!

Of course it would be to offer great service at wonderful prices and so forth, but beyond that what would you guys like to see in a 100% online knife dealer?

What do you not like about some on-line dealers? Again no names!

------------------
Best Regards,
Mike Turber
BladeForums Site Owner and Administrator
Do it! Do it right! Do it right NOW!

Support BladeForums! Check out the BFC Store!
www.bladeforums.com/store
Subscribe our NEW online magazine!
www.bladeforums.com/magazine
Enter our Raffle!
www.bladeforums.com/raffle

Besides the usual stuff like prompt e-mail response and such.One thing I'd like to see is real time status as to product availability or close to it.

Ray

Ahhh......ships overseas ?

wink.gif

------------------
BrianWE

I had no shoes and wept...until I met a man who had no feet. Cheapest pair of shoes I ever bought.

Okay Mike, here's what I like in an internet dealer:

Must be easy to get a hold of, email or toll-free number. In my case, a toll-free number that works in Canada would automatically assure my allegience.

Must respond to quesions in a reasonable time.

Must have the patience to answer all kinds of quesion. Most of the knives I buy I've never seen or handled in the flesh. I have to go totally on what people tell me. I buy on total trust. Therefore, LOTS of questions.

Must have reasonable shipping fees.

Must tell me when my package was sent and when they expect it to get to me. That way if a week or two goes by and there's no package I know I should start wondering where it is.

A good return policy (not that I've had to return anything yet). You get a knife, you don't carry it, you don't cut ANYTHING, you don't like it, you should be able to return it. I'm not trying to make life hard for any IDs, but if you're buying something sight-unseen, you should have a reasonable return policy.

And of course the most important thing, decent stock at a decent price. It's a good thing I don't want much, eh?
smile.gif

------------------
"Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heav'n"
John Milton
There are only two types of people; those who understand this, and those who think they do.

Hey, Johan.....I don't understand the second part of your sig.
wink.gif

------------------
BrianWE

I had no shoes and wept...until I met a man who had no feet. Cheapest pair of shoes I ever bought.

Agree with others said, plus I'd love to see some info on the products, not just prices, blade steels, lengths, etc. This will probably translate into an expensive site to keep, but hey you ask for a perfect one. Look at it this way: if you have more info on products, you'll need less time explaining things, thus less returns from people who are unsatisfied or buy the wrong products.

------------------
Reynaert

Trust in that the dealer is experanced in the world of knives (ie,if the dealer is selling the knife you can trust his judgment as to the quality of any and all inventory he has or will have in the future.The dealer would not sell anything that he/she would not carry themselves.

Develops a relationship tailored to each repeat customer such as keeping records of all purchases and design interists ie,customer like's Tactical knives or likes a particular maker,then when dealer is going to receive a knife that fits the description or is getting a knife from the customers favorite maker the dealer E-mail's the customer telling him that the knife will be available and when.
I know that this is reaching a bit but I can dream.
I know a dealer now that is pretty close to what I described so it's possable.

Kevin

I agree with what the others have said. But, that is also typical of what I would expect from any good retail establishment.

Eventually, I see the internet becoming a far more demanding and competitive forum. And, any dealer that intends to be in for the long run will have to set and meet a higher standard than my local retail store.

As far as knives are concerned, I would expect to see someone develop a customer interface that would allow would be buyers to design and price (estimated materials and labor) their own knives. The designs would then be put on display until there are sufficient orders to do a limited production run.

In short, those of us with limited talents and skills would be able to develop our own designs almost as though we were experienced knifemakers in our own right. The application would define the optimal production criteria and send the order to a capable jobber for production.

Sound like fun to me.

[This message has been edited by not2sharp (edited 01-19-2000).]

<center><h2>VRML</h2></center>
that is one of the things car companies started doing so you could get a better look at the cars. if i can zoom in and out of the knife and have the ability to manipulate it, i'd feel better about knowing exactly what it'll look like. There is still the problem of feel. but how are you gonna make that a webpage?
<center>
<hr width=50%>
</center>
other than that, customer service is the top priority, because there is so little interaction usually, you don't get to see the person, so being extra nice to them in the e-mails and bending over backwards to help them find the right knife would be what would bring me back to a site over and over.

that's about it.
biggrin.gif

------------------
Knives and Cars... Simple but EXPENSIVE.
I would put some important quote from the bible here, as many of you have done, but I don't believe in god or that jesus was his (?) son.

The perfect internet dealer.........

Maintains his webpage, updates info, keeps current.

Shows what`s in stock and what`s backordered.

Ships the same day you place your order.

Ships via a tracable carrier, insured if appropriate.

Answers email!

Gets all the new stuff first.

Runs a monthy special that CHANGES every month!

Doesn`t charge outrageous "handling" fees.

Posts often in Bladeforums.com!

....that`s my short list.

Well said, Steve B.

I would add to that list:
1. Some kind of order tracking on backordered products - so you can see when it's come in and when it's shipped.

2. Straightforward shipping on overseas orders. I want to know how much, all up, something's going to cost

3. Pre-shipping inspection of the goods. None of this 'does-benchmade-rub-the-liner' lottery crap!

The irony is, any one of these improvements would *save* an internet dealer money by reducing customer e-mail, returns etc.

Cheers,
Tim

I'm easy to please. A website that accurately reflects what's currently in stock. Prompt shipping and an email telling me when the order shipped and supplying the UPS tracking number. Or, telling me when it will ship, good Lord willing and the creek don't rise.

Recently, I ordered from a well respected dealer. Emailed him on Sunday asking him if the product was in stock. Got an affirmative reply the same day, saying he's got the item, and more coming. Sent an email (still Sunday) saying that I was sending my order via the dealer's website. Monday morning I get a reply, saying that he's got my order. So far, so good, right? Except, the knife didn't ship until Friday (should be here tomorrow!).

Now I understand that the dealer may well have had more orders for that particular knife than actual stock -- can't expect him to know that until he processes all the orders that have come in over the weekend -- and maybe I'm number seven on a list of six. Fine, but how about an email telling me this? I don't really like waiting, but I hate waiting in vain.

------------------
Dave

Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of More Knives

Almost everything has been said already -

My idea of Perfect Internet dealer is:

- Good interface - easy to follow web pages, pictures, specifications, instant quoting and order confirmation, frequent updates

- Reasonable prices, depending on service level (inspection before sending = higher price), low restocking fee (in any), charts describing shipping options and charges, order tracking info

- Reasonable stock on hand and clear indication what is in stock, backordered or out of stock

- Knowledge regarding knives - ability to answer any question (does not have to be on a phone - e-mail is OK)

- Has to be able to form close relationship with customers (prompt, HONEST and correct answers). This will bring him more sales than only low price. Also keeping customers database should help him sell more (let´s say I buy knives mady by ABC company, they introduce new item,´my dealer sends me e-mail with this info, price, picture and I buy the knife....easy, isn´t it??
smile.gif
)

I think that Internet-savvy customers are very demanding and spoiled and the knife business is no exeption. On the other hand it seems to me that Internet knife dealers are doing better than dealers in any other area.

David

------------------
DIVERTI NESCIO

---------
My photos

I think everyone has pretty well covered it. I will add my response only so any internet dealers reading this can get the message that these are things WE all want.

Prompt email response

Status of stock on hand on the web site

Courteous !! service.
(I work really hard for my money)

A no hassle return policy.
(we are buying sight unseen)

Reasonable prices

Easy to access contact info

When was it shipped info

I am now dealing back and forth with an internet dealer about a refund. He sends me email and when I hit reply I get my email back "undeliverable". This may be just a design flaw in the way the site was put up but feels underhanded. Dealers take note.
Alex

------------------
ALex

http://home.att.net./~a.boriqua

Steve B hit it rather well, and I would only add a friendly and knowledgable voice on any phone orders, and e-mail confirmation of order being shipped with a trakcing number.

------------------
Don LeHue

The pen is mightier than the sword...outside of arm's reach. Modify radius accordingly for rifle.

No such thing as "Perfect", but I would settle for user friendly--especially cruising through some of the websites of the dealers.
#1--If you want me to buy something, I would suggest that you post what methods of payments you accept on the first page of the website. That way, if I don't see my card, neither of us wastes our time with the other.
#2--Clear separation of what brands, models, style, you sell.
#3--what's in stock and what isn't. This does require attention to updating your website on a regular basis!
#4--Some buyers still don't feel comfortable submitting a purchase list via the internet. They prefer to call a human and give the order. We should be allowed to do this--we are coming to the dealer. This telephone number should be on the first page of the website.
#5--Be accurate on when and how the item was shipped-send a return email with the tracking number. Today, you can send items through the post office using Express Mail and for 35 cents you can get a tracking number. Most buyers would accept to pay for it. I would think the dealers would include it without passing it on.
#6--Reasonable returns--this has all kinds of qualifiers, but normally unused, etc.. I, as the buyer, open the package, handle the knife, and I don't like it--it just doesn't fit my hand. I should be able to return that knife with no hassle (less shipping fees/re-stocking fees).
#7--If I return the knife (as agreed with the dealer), then I should have an immediate credit made to my card. Don't wait 30 days and send me your check!
#8--Be righteous, if you don't have it in stock, don't BS anybody, you're just creating a customer relation problem. (and news travels damn fast on the GB&U forum).
#9--and finally--hats off to those special dealers that admit they don't have it, but if you'll give them 48-72 hours they will hunt it down and have it for you at a cost both of you agree to. Now that's a dealer that will continue to get my business day in and day out because in addition HE COMMUNICATES.

my .02 cents worth

I would LOVE to see ACCURATE descriptions of every knife.

I'm talking MSRP, MAAP. Plus the blade length, thickness, width, material/metal, Rc, and I even want to know what angle it has been sharpened to. On top of that, I want to know the OAL, handle lenth/width, handle materials, liner(if metal) material/Rc. And I want to know EXACTLY how much the knife weighs and see a HIGH quality picture of the knife.

If all of that information could be be displayed in an attractive format, in conjunction with five star customer service and reasonable prices, that's where all my business would go.

------------------
Yeah! Drop the chalupa...

I just thought of this:

A same-page comparison sheet.
something where you can put checks next to the knives you're thinking of buying, then hit "compare" and it'll pull up a new page.
It'll list all of the stats, like the handle material, blade steel, length overall, blade length, closed length (if folder), maybe samething like "available with tanto style", "available with serations", and anything else that would matter.

I always like the comparison sites, makes everything easier. and it isn't that tough to do through CGI.

------------------
Knives and Cars... Simple but EXPENSIVE.
I would put some important quote from the bible here, as many of you have done, but I don't believe in god or that jesus was his (?) son.

Price, availability, and quick shipping. I know what I want when I buy, and these are the three things I'm interested in.

Brandon

OK, you asked for it. I want the corner store feeling on the internet. Most of it has already been said. I want them to know me and my styles, good knowledge of their product, good shipping and tracking(no b.s. with handling charges, if they need more for the product put it in the price not on handling), good quality photos, I really like the idea of being able to compare Items all in one summary, and here is the hard one something that will give YOU a feel for the knife( I like being able to look at every aspect of the knife by rotating picture) but I really would like to "handle the knife"(that is where the corner store theory comes in, don't ask me how to do this, its just an idea.)
Eric

------------------
Outside of a dog, a Knife is man's best friend. Inside a dog it is very, very Dark.

Back