Your favorite knife?

What is your favorite kitchen knife? Ok fine favorite two!

I have 6 chef knives. But my go to chef knife is a Zwilling Pro 7 inch. My wife uses the other 5. I keep 2-3 of them in the kitchen and the others hidden away. So when she says hey babe I need a sharp knife I swap them out. Instead of hey babe all 5 of these need sharpened. Keeps me from having to go try to quickly sharpen a knife.

My real go to kitchen knife is my pairing knife. I do not know the brand got it from Walmart. It’s actually a decent knife. I say it’s my real go it because I do all kinds of kitchen tasks from opening packages to trimming fat, cutting up garnish. I used it yesterday to quarter up a whole chicken.

If I had to pick only one it would be the Zwilling.

Our paring knives get the most use, but I wouldn't call them my favorites...

These two are currently my favorite kitchen knives in our block,

* F. Dick 1778-Series 9.5" Chefs Knife, Double X VG 12 carbon steel core

* Yoshikane 135mm Wa-Petty, SLD Suminagashi steel

Of the various kitchen knives I own, this is the one I use most of the time:

Shun Classic 7" Asian Chef's knife. I just like it. Cuts like a dream, handles really well. I have bigger knives, smaller knives, more expensive, and less expensive, but this is the one I grab most of the time.

https://shun.kaiusaltd.com/knives/knife/classic-asian-chefs-knife

dm0760_1.jpg

My second favorite is its sibling, the Classic Nakiri:

https://shun.kaiusaltd.com/knives/knife/classic-nakiri

Victorinox red parer - serrated, without a doubt. $5 knife, sharp and stays sharp for a long time, throw it away and get a new one every couple of years. No lie.

My favorite right now is a Gisshin Ginga 240mm White #2 that I picked up a couple years ago from Jon at Japanese Knife Imports. The grind is very thin and just flies through food even when it's not super sharp.

Kurosaki SRS13 turquoise and Miyabi SG2 Birchwood. Both 210mm/8" gyuto but very different profile and feel, so can practically tackle anything between them

I am going to cheat and list 3 favorites. My Erickson custom is a work of art and a joy to use. My Bradford Cutlery M390 chef's knife is a workhorse and a great design. The Kikuichi GS Series is an overall great knife.
SBPtXcg.jpg

pZHNxpF.jpg
ngD1cjy.jpg

I haven't had access to top of the line kitchen knives, but my two favorite knives I use in the kitchen would probably be a bright purple santoku and my Opinel #8 I could get by just fine with these two knives dousnt mean I won't make a kitchen knife the next couple of months though.

Our Favourite in our house is a paring knife with fine serrations from Solingen Germany, these never gets dull, they always stay sharp, multi purpose; meat, veggies, fruits, “boxes” etc a true workhorse that will last you a lifetime guaranteed. And only $2 They are better than the fixwell and victorinox

Attachments

• 330BCB3C-2A7B-4359-9771-8F8B06B4E002.jpeg
    330BCB3C-2A7B-4359-9771-8F8B06B4E002.jpeg
    18.8 KB · Views: 15
Mine is a Gisshin Ginga 240mm Wa-Gyuto in white #2 steel. Even when it's not super sharp it still will slice soft tomatoes like crazy.

A small Santoku and a paring knife. These were put together and finished by Vince, @VCM3 , from 440C blades and Rosewood he got from Tony Bose.
jg0pClT.jpg

Back