This is my very first GEC : # 77 Northfield Barlow back in 2015
hGDotv1.jpg

So I got a few more of the #77's
XGPUQiM.jpg

Then I bought a few more Northfields of other patterns :
uFwql0v.jpg

Harry

Great first GEC, Harry, and nice pics! :thumbsup:

My first GEC is a 48 stag from 2014. Got it at a local Goodwill for $20. I’m pretty sure someone had donated the pants and the 48 was left in the pocket.

Wow, that’s crazy! 😲

I first heard about GEC after seeing some pics of TC Barlows. I wanted one, of course, and at the time (late 2015), this was the easiest TC to get ahold of. I had to get it on eBay and pay a bit of a premium (but very reasonable by today’s standard, less than some dealer prices I’ve seen on recent GEC single blade releases).

3qicLnh.jpg

I ended up selling it for what I paid for it, because I didn’t love the blade shape, and I could buy two other GECs with the same money. Hi, my name is Barrett, and I’m an idiot. 🙄🤣

This was my first GEC group shot.

aTDBWcY.jpg

PSX_20231105_162539.jpg
Discouraged by the GEC market I had opted not to get into the madness until I joined this forum. Now having one, I get it. Love this knife.

I predict there will be more but I'm gonna need to knock over a Brinks Truck.

My first GEC was the (then) easy-to-get Beer Scout, way out of my usual range moneywise, but I never regretted since. Travelled a long way from the shop somewhere in the North West!
Not a safe queen, but rarely used, the beer opener is a nail breaker and still has the factory edge on the back.
BS4.jpg

My first GEC was the (then) easy-to-get Beer Scout, way out of my usual range moneywise, but I never regretted since. Travelled a long way from the shop somewhere in the North West!
Not a safe queen, but rarely used, the beer opener is a nail breaker and still has the factory edge on the back.
View attachment 2382325

Such a great knife, Alain. It’s a toss-up for me between the tortoise shell and the Chestnut sawcut bone for my favorite Beer Scout variant.

I agreee Barrett ! Hard to say which is the best looking ! I had no hesitation then choosing the tortoise shell, but should I have to choose again today, I'm not so sure... 🤷🏻‍♀️

Great first GEC, Harry, and nice pics! :thumbsup:

Wow, that’s crazy! 😲

I first heard about GEC after seeing some pics of TC Barlows. I wanted one, of course, and at the time (late 2015), this was the easiest TC to get ahold of. I had to get it on eBay and pay a bit of a premium (but very reasonable by today’s standard, less than some dealer prices I’ve seen on recent GEC single blade releases).

3qicLnh.jpg

I ended up selling it for what I paid for it, because I didn’t love the blade shape, and I could buy two other GECs with the same money. Hi, my name is Barrett, and I’m an idiot. 🙄🤣

This was my first GEC group shot.

aTDBWcY.jpg

believe me, barlows took a bit of convincing, on account of no end caps 🤣

I agreee Barrett ! Hard to say which is the best looking ! I had no hesitation then choosing the tortoise shell, but should I have to choose again today, I'm not so sure... 🤷🏻‍♀️

And then there was the Charred Beer Barrel Oak in the second run, also very cool!

😥 sniff . . . . . . . . . .!!

Like I said, Charlie… I was an idiot! 😉😁 It was definitely a cool blade shape, but I was just coming back to traditionals then, I had just discovered GEC and had a list of others I wanted to buy (back when some knives were still just available on dealers’ sites), and I didn’t see myself using/carrying it as much as others, so I let it go. Definitely the worst move I’ve made when it comes to knife collecting. 😐

• btb01 btb01 : I remember this was my first purchase from a US shop (and my 3rd traditional US knife, 2 Case purchased through the Bay) and I was caution about shipping and (eventual) custom cost (that amounted to zero, Oh happy days !), but I had also considered a jigged bone twin blade Hucleberyy Boys knife (2013?).
Btw I later got the single bladed clip HBK with the chain. Still jigged bone, less the second blade, gained a chain! 😊

Last edited:
amen to that, i feel my quest for the smooth parchment bone will go unfulfilled at this point for the hat trick. not even gonna dream of the even rarer 4th rendezvous special soup bone ancient.

First gec for me was this #97. I lucked out because these weren't quite as popular as other patterns at the time, probably due to their size. I managed to grab one of the last ones a distributor had in stock. I was blown away by the fit & finish, not to mention the smooth action it has. It's been a favorite of mine.IMG_20231123_171253440.jpgIMG_20231123_171111577.jpg

Last edited:
Back