Your Honest First Reaction to do.

While walking on the street, suddenly a man appear in front of you, draw his knife and determined to stab you not knowing what is the reason behind. The weapon you have are: knife, an Arnis, and of course you are a Karate man or martial arts man that can use the barehands very well.

Which among the weapons you think more effective that you have to use in neutralizing the attacker. Assuming you have still time to defend yourself.

i would prefer the stick. with a knife i have to get to close but with the stick i can keep my distance and beat his arms and legs until i have the opportunity to finsih him.

Got one answer which the poster thinks it's the effective way. Where are the knife experts and if you use knife can you explain and justify.

Thanks

Why use empty hand and knife if you can beat him/her by the distance. I'll use the stick it has more reach and can beat my attacker's attack. Plus, I feel safer with it. Di ba mga pare?
wink.gif

Rml

[This message has been edited by Rommel (edited 14 December 1999).]

since the saying is true: proximity negates skill and action beats reaction, i'm probably gonna get screwed then and there. my first skill is awareness; i even keep a distance from shadows whenever possible, especially on streets and moreso if i'm not carrying something immediately in reach (ASP). i had some serious running and legwork for 18 years. to this day i do serious legwork both in and out of the pool and calfwork since you can really hop quick if your calves are really reactive. so i like to use what i have patented as the "Ricky-Ticki-Tavi Reaction-Response-Removal tactic." otherwise known as the "Mongoose is Loose" drill. i found that i can hop quickly off at an angle repeatedly without freezing at all when confronted with a threat. maybe comes from all that Irish stepdancing-you're really up on your toes and it gives you extraordinary balance. simple but effective. the trick is to never hop far back, always at an angle. i've done this boxing as well, the guy training us said for 35 i can really move in and out well without losing my bearings. i know it sounds strange, but it really works for me; i can really spring out of there quick. >>>as long as there's no open sewer hole nearby!

Greetings to all: I am reading and seeing how any one of us deal a real situation and which weapon we will be dispose of in pinning down the opponent or immobilize him.

Real combat in the real world is very much different than inside the Club. We practice a lot in the club or in our own house to deal the outside world isn't it.

Another thing, if you see a KNIFE being drawn for you -- how do you feel. Are you not being shock for the moment nor think to retreat or you want to fight the guy as soon as possible to finish the fight. I know for sure many of us who loves to hold knives and other weapons are extra ordinary being compared to the common man.

Well we just want to see which is our first choice among the weapon mentioned.

Thanks

Kelt that is a new tactic and it sounds good. I see it that there are many ways in dealing an attacker.

Well, I am reading and learning and seeing different choices by different M-artist.

I'd hope that the sight of my heavy fighting cane would deter his attack on me but if not, I go for the distance weapon - that is why I carry my cane. If my hands are empty, I suspect that I'd have to take care of things with cqc or karate until I could get my knife out since in all my training scenarios, the attack is an impetuous rush, no time to think, plan, decide etc, just time to do or die. Of course, if I do create time to get my knife out, I'll probably be considered a criminal if I use it since the attack must be over by now...

------------------
The Fighting Old Man

In that scenario, I take off unless there's good reason to stay or no choice in the matter...

But If I have to stay, I go with the stick first and get the knife out on the next opportunity. I would like the odds better that way. My feeling is that I can take a stick blow on the arm to get in my blow. I have in fact taken a pipe on the arm to get my shot a guy. The opponent has got to be thinking the same except his blow would be with a knife. And there is no way to judge his skill or his speed until he attempts it, which may be too late... So I rather have my edge backing the reach of the stick.

Cheap answer, eh...
smile.gif

sing

AKTI #A000356

P.S. There was no mention of the initial distance. If it is close, the first thing is to CREATE space to access a weapon.

[This message has been edited by sing (edited 14 December 1999).]

Greetings:

It looks like that using the stick (extension of the hands) prevails then the other 2 weapons of choice to avoid being wounded or has a greater percentage to stop the fight or subdue the opponent.

Does anyone expert in knife to knife combat don't dare to encounter the attacker by blade vs. blade. As far as my reading in several posts, many has mentioned the different kinds of tactical knife as defensive weapon but the sticks looks more effective if we are carrying one.

If I say stick, either you substitute it of any cylindrical weapon of reasonable size of any made, either any kind of metal, hard plastic, wood, or rattan.

Let us see more of further explanations in the real world.

Every one has its way in dealing effectively.

>Which among the weapons you think more effective that you have to use in neutralizing the attacker.

I would have to agree with some of my fellow practitioners that the additional range a baston or ASP baton offers is significant to this type of altercation.

Sure, some might say I’ll pull my knife and go toe to toe but what a skilled knife-fighter sometimes neglects to realize is that a determined, drugged and psychotic person can just as easily cut or stab you. On the other hand, someone using empty-hands might find it easier to handle the situation by trying to control the assailant’s weapon hand/arm. Regardless of which route you take, it ultimately comes down to whether or NOT you are mentally prepared to engage. Remember, many individual’s have been known to freeze and even the “blink of an eye” can be costly or even fatal.

> Assuming you have still time to defend yourself.

“Assuming you still have time to defend yourself”, well put. IMO…the most difficult thing to develop in Martial Arts is your mental attributes.( e.g. FEAR Control) One goal as Martial Artists is to become proficient in our empty hand or weapon skills. But the element of surprise can easily render those skills useless. Why is that? I’m certain LEO’s are required to undergo mental preparation through some sort of training/evaluation and probably more often than physical ones. It is imperative that we develop these characteristics but how? What are some ways to “mentally / psychologically” prepare yourself? Some resources to consider are videos & literature from the Tony Blauer, Founder of Chu Fen Do. Hands down…he is recognized as the foremost authority on this topic!

Yours in the Arts,

John G. Jacobo
BAKBAKAN North American Director

Would anyone carry a stick planning to drop it and draw a knife??? If so why are you carrying the stick?

A while ago somebody posted on one of these forums he saw it all as a game of scissors/paper/stone -- stick beats knife, gun beats stick, knife beats gun ... an interesting concept....

------------------
-Cougar Allen :{)
--------------------------------------
This post is not merely the author's opinions; it is the trrrrrruth. This post is intended to cause dissension and unrest and upset people, and ultimately drive them mad. Please do not misinterpret my intentions in posting this.

To my conclusion on this topic. I believed that if we are really in a real encounter to someone who is really wielding a knife and if we have a stick on our disposal, it is the first choice to use.

For me, I am more in an advantage position or having higher percentage to defend myself with my barehands using my Karate or martial arts, rather than Blade vs Blade if I am not using a stick. But if my blade is at 8 to 12 inches overall in length then I can use it as an extension of my hand to work as an arnis or stick.

I did use a 12" L and 1" Dia metal pipe against a balisong attacker. I have mentioned this I think in other topic in this forum.

If everyone is familiar of a Cockfight with blades, I consider like this to people who fight with blade to blade. In real fight both combatant in blade to blade of almost the same size of blades will surely kill each other as mostly fighters aim is to implant their knife at the first encounter rather then in defense state.

Thanks

Gentleman,

FYI, Tony Blauer can be reached at www.TonyBlauer.com or www.BlauerTactical.com or emailed directly at TBlauer@videotron.ca.

The knives being such a prevelant street weapon, Tony has published tapes recently that directly address this issue.

Check out "Controlling the Blade" on his wen site.

Joe@UrbanTactics.com

------------------

I would go with my 26in Asp first (reach and speed) and if time permitting, pull my left side Delica,(reverse grip if possible) and use both in combination. This would allow you to cover both long and short range and a
second thug who grabed you from behind. I was also told once by my instructor that in FMA it considered the most effective combination.

Thanks to every one with their genuine answers. I know it really come from your real experiences and about to do it if, in case it will gonna happen to you.

Mmm..

When I have a stick and a knife, i draw them both.

As he closed, I'd hit him with the stick.. Porbably in the hand. If he still came through, I'd gunt or go for a limb destruction with the knife, and then keep it stuck to him. He might cut me, but not as bad as I'll cut him.

Chances are you won't need the knife if you can use the stick, I think. Still, it's nice to have something short in case he comes in side.

If isee him drawing, and he is too close, I may not draw at all.. I might just hit him real, real hard while he is trying to get his knife open/out. Then hit him several more times before he notices. Then some more. Same technique apply's with stick as well.

josh

Josh, you have said it, in the very practical way of dealing the agressor. Stick is a good thing to use to deal someone having a knife. The only drawback is we are not carrying a stick regularly as we do carry our knives in an urban area. But for the effectiveness it is your own judgement to say if it is really good or not.

"All martial arts are good, and we do practice what fits us best, but there are better martial arts in dealing every situation" and this case is the example.

Back