Your Kit for a Walk in the City

Seriously though, not much you couldn't take care of in the city with just a flashlight, sak, cellphone, cash, and a crowbar.

Money, lighter, knife, torch, dispenser, phone + tunes, phone charger and a bunch of videos on memory cards if it's a city thing.

Real world example of implementation:

I was London to Brighton train. A successful suicidal threw themselves in front of the train. The train stopped in the middle of I didn't know where. The other passengers and I waited in an uncomfortable silence for about half an hour in the dark. The lights went on briefly long enough for the guard to come round and explain about the suicidal, and that the lights would be going out again as they needed to cut power to scrape Bloggs up. After about an hour of that I got impatient and suspected there was still going to be a long wait while they got SOCO out.

Then was time to field the torch. I prized open the doors and some random bloke was only too happy to hold them apart for me, I suspect 'cos he wanted to watch me leap from the train, onto who cares, and up over a wall. Turns out to be some industrial estate thing but ho hum. It didn't take much wit to do an 'as the crow flies' obstacle course and stay parallel with the track 'till I got to the next station. So far we've ticked off torch, dispenser, and lighter. At the station the phone comes into play 'cos now I have a solid landmark for extraction. I've got to do patience for an hour or so 'till extraction so I sit watching some movie on my phone.

Good enough. In the urban environment I'm aiming to minimize hassles and not fend off some disaster. If I toted a big bunch of crap round with me just in case I'd spend the majority if not all my urban life simply increasing my hassle quota. I find most hassles that aren't mundane I can either buy my way of, or phone my way out of, or a combination of the two.

Geez all geared up to go to the big city and you all forgot to pack the condoms. tsk tsk I thought you were prepared.

If my girlfriend would see a pack of condoms in my "urban survival kit", than I might have a true "survival situation" right here and now :D

I never go into the city without a proper flashlight (in addition to my keychain stuff), a folder or multitool, money, a charged mobile phone and some tissue papers. Sometimes pepperspray, but to be honest, I stopped carrying it months ago.

In Columbus? I always have these:

IMG_1220.jpg

:D

Plus a Farmer, my Leatherman Surge and a Princeton Tec LED keychain light and hopefully in 9 days, a Nightcore D10. :thumbup:

More guys near Columbus than I thought......we need to make a trip to Wayne Nat'l forest!

LOL, that sounds like me. I live in Columbus and often walk to the downtown area for work. From home to work is an hour and a half hike through some rough neighborhoods. Additionally, I habitually carry a MiniMag 2LED in my left hand and not for the light, but in case I get surprised. My Endura is handy clipped in my right hip pocket.

So far, my personal record is encountering 12 panhandlers in one day, some of whom were quite agressive. Mostly, I ignore them and keep on walking, but if they follow or get to close, I turn to look at them and shake my head. My bigger concern is the guys in pairs who hang out in the dark alleys or bushes and just whisper and stare. All of this is between 4AM and 5AM. My walk home in the afternoon is usually pleasant.

I gave up carrying packs or shoulder bags as they provide to many convenient handles for the wrong hands.

Yup, a trip to the Wayne would be fun.

I never go into the city without a proper flashlight (in addition to my keychain stuff),

I live by this, I find if I dont have my TK10, small camera case style kit with spare batteries, enough for 20 hours on 60 lumens which would be plenty enough, plus i would have about 6 hours left in the light now, buck 110 or BM551 and a small multitool of some type I feel naked, I can just tell there is some thing missing. I also have a pack in the car when we travel, actually two, one in the trunk with all the goodies and a portable one I leave in the back seat, along with a shovel blanket extra socks gloves and coats in this time of the year I have ample first aid and My girlfriend and I are Trained with St.Johns First aid course, that is the standard for Paramedics in canada, it really is some thing I recommend for anyone who can take it.

My urban survival kit changes a bit depending upon the urb. My wants are different for walking around downtown Kuala Lumpur than downtown Kyoto. But the basics that don't change;
Cell phone
Pelican pocket pel-light with 15ft of paracord lanyard
Silva compass
Flint&Steel kit
MONEY! (About $100 USD in $10 bills and about twice the value in local currency)
SAK - Tinker
Benchmade 710
Fox whistle
Home made kubotan that doesn't look like one
For night time I add a small squirt bottle of ammonia
An up-to-date local street map

For cities with a medium crime/danger factor such as KL or Bangkok I add;
Second large pocket tactical folder carried in opposite pocket
'Asp' ultralight collapsible baton
Pepper spray
Manriki-gusari
Rattan walking cane with a slightly larger crook

For cities with a high danger factor, such as Manila or Jakarta I add to the previous;
Several double-edged pointy things carried in various methods
250,000 volt stun gun with new batteries

I do NOT worry about the legality of it all. Not when the safety of my family is concerned. In those cities where carrying the illegals may be a risk, it is balanced out by the fact that the police can usually be co-operative when using the money part of the survival kit! In most Third World countries, the police are very receptive to a contribution to the 'Widows and Orphan's Fund!'

Constant On-Body gear:

Knives
- SAK Explorer
- Spyderco Swick
Lights
- Streamlight Twintask 2L
- Inova Microlight in keychain
Support/Medical
- Cell phone
- Bandanna, bright colored and pre-folded to narrow cravat style
- Fox 40 Whistle, bright yellow color in key chain

When carrying EDC bag:

- Work gloves
- Rain jacket
- FAK
- Roll of duct tape
- SOG Powerlock multi-tool
- Sport water bottle (being in a tropical climate)

Last edited:
Just my EDC, which lately looks a lot like:

img7427cg9.jpg

Not everything I'd need in any situation, but it's always, always on me, and more often than not I have a bandanna in my back pocket.

Oh, and then there's my Maxpedition Jumbo with my iPod nano, the big flashlight (Fenix TK11), two sets of spare batteries, my beater mini Griptilian, another handkerchief, house and assorted keys (car key is the only one I carry on me), two notebooks, paperback novel, had lotion, weatherproof lighter, gum, sharpie mini, spare contact lenses, water bottle, Advil liqui-gels, checkbooks and register, plastic gloves, nitrile coated gloves, a bunch of pens, very small packable umbrella, earplugs, car dashboard GPS (works on it's own) and my sunglasses.

...Actually, when I list it all out it seems like a lot of stuff. But it's all convenience items, stuff I'm likely to use at work, or things I wish I'd had on me in the past.

You know, I keep opening threads in this forum thinking that's kind of weird... Urban survival kit? Who would do that? And I leave thinking Oh wait... I guess I do that...

Last edited:
Urban EDC is pretty minimal: wallet, cell phone, Al Mar SERE 2000, LM Micra and Surefire E1B. If I want even less, I ditch the SERE and Micra for a Skeletool but I often find the scissors more useful.

Back