1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Your most difficult knife to learn how to open

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Tseg, Aug 7, 2019.

1. Jman45

Jman45

Aug 12, 2019
    An easy way to open or close the BM940 is to pull back on the axis lock and flick your wrist.

Dadpool likes this.
  2. OddBlade

OddBlade

Sep 6, 2015
    Oh yeah, gotta agree about the 450. I got so annoyed I gave mine away.

palonej likes this.
  3. riversidedep

riversidedep Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 27, 2007
    The DPX HEST, the Boker Urban Trapper, and the Protech Magic have all given me trouble......And the Protech is an auto lol!

4. Dadpool

Dadpool Gold Member Gold Member

May 18, 2015
    For sure! But it's got thumb studs, and I like options. :D

5. Shorttime

Shorttime

Oct 16, 2011
    Uh. I should have quoted Scooter, instead. Whups.

6. jeffsenpai

jeffsenpai Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 24, 2010
    I assume because the size that the spring has to be extra strong. Opening is fine and easy, but closing that sucker is not as fun as it should be for a $200+ dollar knife.

Dr Heelhook likes this.
  7. 017

Mar 31, 2016
    ZT 0850. Flicking it out when I first got it was impossible, but I have since (pretty much) mastered it. I still find a bit weird opening it with constant controlled thumb pressure, as I have to shift my hand around a little throughout the opening procedure.

8. evilgreg

evilgreg Why so serious? Gold Member

Dec 25, 2012
    Mine is so smooth that it's really easy to middle finger flick it open, or wrist flick it open. Even with the pivot tightened until there is no noticeable play it still falls shut. It's the smoothest knife on washers I own . . .

9. DudeManBro

DudeManBro

Feb 7, 2019
    I much prefer flippers for this reason.

Both my copper mini natrix and ZT 0450 flip great for me, on both hands.

Probably because I have smallish/medium (smaldium?) hands.

& also cool + handsum.

10. JAGKNIFE

JAGKNIFE

Jan 10, 2012
    duplicate post

11. JAGKNIFE

JAGKNIFE

Jan 10, 2012
    +1 on the Protech Ciabatta nearly cut my finger off as it opened in my pocket sold it ASAP

12. GronK

GronK Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 1, 2001
    It was really ironic. The Ciabatta was technically AO, assisted opening, and was intended to provide a ProTech to be carried where autos were not allowed. It ended up being way more dangerous than any auto!

JAGKNIFE likes this.
  13. Getting older

Getting older

Jan 3, 2016
    CRKT version of the room mechanism.If I had smaller hands it might work ok

14. 017

Mar 31, 2016
    Mine's no smoother than any of my Spyderco's or Benchmade's on washers. I read many reports it's equal to or smoother than knives on bearings, but that hasn't been my experience. Don't get me wrong. It's smooth, but I wouldn't say it's that smooth.

It is, however, idiot-proof when it comes to adjusting it without blade play. I can adjust it with both hands behind my back & the Torx driver on another planet & get it to fall shut without any blade play. First time. Every time.

15. specgrade

specgrade Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Believe it or not, my Case Russlock. Had to watch a Youtube video for that one, lol.

jux t likes this.