Your most disappointing knife purchase

Fasteners initially were not the topic of the thread, it just evolved into that once the wailing about Emerson started... agree about not getting personal though.

Stay on topic or stay out of the thread.
Yes sir. Understood. My apologies.

Satisfaction/disappointment is relative to expectations. I own a bunch of Cold Steel folders that almost all needed adjustment/modification to please me. But that's what I expected.
A flaw/defect on a Spyderco is more disappointing because I expect more. I don't like their bushing pivots which often have side-to-side play with the pivot fully tightened.
SOG, Boker, Gerber, Buck have disappointed me many times. I avoid them. Unlike some here I've had only good experiences with CRKT. I think WE/Civivi are the most consistent. Spyderco is still my favorite.

Hmmm - biggest POS was probably the Kershaw Cryo II. Biggest disappointment was the Olamic 247.

Hmmm - biggest POS was probably the Kershaw Cryo II. Biggest disappointment was the Olamic 247.
What was disappointing about the Cryo? I found one in a Jeep I bought and it seemed like a decent knife but I have no idea the price point or what I should expect. I gave it to my friends son and he likes it.

Fasteners initially were not the topic of the thread, it just evolved into that once the wailing about Emerson started... agree about not getting personal though.

Stay on topic or stay out of the thread.
It is interesting that I offered several complaints about the Emerson but the one that seemed to be debatable is the hardware complaint.

Of course my complaints and virtually every complaint about every knife in this thread is opinion.

2 birds, 1 stone........

*Not my "most disappointed" but still, at the time I wasn't thrilled.

The Bk62 came with a crappy/No finished scales, and lousy looking hardware. They didn't represent the age of the design so I fixed them....with get this.....
Slotted Screws. Haha!

Before/After

After my mods, it became one of my favorite User knives, I affectionately refer to It as my Baitknife......

Had to be an Emerson CQC-7 as I didn't even feel confident using it for anything worth while. And then, Sebenzas and I don't get along but that's my thing I guess? Good thread.

Reactions: DMG
My crkt civet.

Sheath is made to be disassembled so you can clean it.
Prob is it doesn't hold the knife well so superglued both parts together to tighten and it worked

Later scales started coming loose so superglued them back

Knife looks ok but I don't recommend it

What was disappointing about the Cryo?
It was the Cryo II - the larger version...and, there wasn't much good to say about it, other than it looked like a smaller ZT0550. I received one that wouldn't open fully. There was something else about it; but it was a long time ago, and I don't recall what. I sent that one back. I ended up purchasing a replacement from another dealer, which has the same issues. I kept that one for a while, screwed around with it a bit - getting some improvement - and ultimately gave it away.

Reactions: DMG
2 birds, 1 stone........

*Not my "most disappointed" but still, at the time I wasn't thrilled.

The Bk62 came with a crappy/No finished scales, and lousy looking hardware. They didn't represent the age of the design so I fixed them....with get this.....
Slotted Screws. Haha!

Before/After

After my mods, it became one of my favorite User knives, I affectionately refer to It as my Baitknife......
At least you lined up the screw slots properly.

Heh. Easy one. Harkins Triton. I was sold one for somewhere in the neighborhood of $350 off of a FB page. Owner of the page said it was the cat's ass. Worth a significant amount more than he was charging me. So, being new to OTF's, I didn't know. I bought it, and when it showed up, I wasn't impressed. The damn pocket clip was crooked, the action was ok - ish, there was blade play in both directions, and get this; the blade wasn't even sharpened, at all. Who TF makes a knife and then doesn't sharpen the blade? So, I try to research it. It didn't come with any box or paperwork, other than a computer printout about it, which is all I found online. Pretty much nothing. So, I contact the dude who sold it, and asked for a refund, minus return shipping. Crickets. After a few messages thru FB, his wife (LOL) started to reply and just stopped short of threatening me, so I dropped it. Sold at a loss.

Back