Your most fun irrational knife

Really, if we took a good, hard, honest look, I think we would find the vast majority of our knives are irrational fun. I know mine are.

Clearly the vast majority of the world functions just fine with one knife...and probably a knife we would consider crap. They would probably consider an SAK as a piece of tarted-up silliness.

Honestly, I know I can get through a typical day with a Vic Classic, and, if need be, kick up to a bigger Vic like a Super Tinker and be completely covered. Are those the only two knives I own? Of course not! I own machetes for Scagels sakes and I live in a major metropolitan area. What the heck am I gonna do with a machete? Let alone 3 of them?!?

Its all irrational fun. Its why we have them. Its why we come here and talk about them....which is even more irrational. :)

Hehe, lots of guilty pleasure going on here. If knife collecting isn't fun - why do it?

Sometimes you just hafta buy some like this...
f6g6u9bg4xl8avs6g.jpg

or this....
jp3wjp4ld0fjdtg6g.jpg

just because they're big and cool. :cool:

Sorry no pics...
But one of them is my ZombieTools Vakrah (sp).

They hire Americans in Montana, and use all materials sourced from the USA.
They make the whole vast selection of sharps in house, and they are a successful company in slow economy!
Fun bunch of dudes, love their job...
When I grab that Kukri on steroids, I am the baddest MOFO in my 4.5 acres!!

Thanks for starting me on a Busse addiction DallasSTB!
Those CRKTs are nice! I have a cheap tan version... One of the few knives I'm ok with not having a dual guard...

Really, if we took a good, hard, honest look, I think we would find the vast majority of our knives are irrational fun. I know mine are.
You're definately right... But man, you're being too serious! [emoji6]
[emoji1]

I just can't help it.... darned thing was 25 bucks, weighs 2.2 pounds, almost 2 feel long and chops like a ninja on crack ( karate chop joke.... get it?....no?.....nevermind )

That is a beauty :thumbup: $ 25.00 very well spent :cool: and doesn't appear irrational to me at all.

Otherwise - sorry I can't contribute to the conversation. None of my knives qualify to the question. Oh well...

Two cheapo irrationals come to mind:

I've posted here before how my Cold Steel Ti-Lite IV was such a revelation once I purchased it. I had sniffed it online for a long, long time....finally saw one in person and bought it right away. Far exceeded expectations once I saw and handled it. Still does. A very "fun" knife. I like my Ti-Lite VI too, but the blade is too massive to be the fun flicker the IV is.

I also have a Boker Plus Kalashnikov auto that is fun to play with...opens with more kick than any auto I own. Tough knife. Just biding the time until the spring snaps and its value doubles as a gravity knife. :) Picked it up for around $30 at a gun show--I listened to the vendor tell me for ten minutes how if it ever broke, Boker would fix it. What b.s. !

I find reasons to carry and use it but they are not very good reasons! Makes me smile like a champ every time I pull it out of the sheath

That's cool! [emoji4] ... finding reasons to actually use such an irrational knife!

I just can't help it.... darned thing was 25 bucks, weighs 2.2 pounds, almost 2 feel long and chops like a ninja on crack ( karate chop joke.... get it?....no?.....nevermind )

That thing is a beast! Mind if I ask who made it?

On subject, my throwing knives. They're literally made for fun and not much else. A close second would be balisongs.

That thing is a beast! Mind if I ask who made it?

On subject, my throwing knives. They're literally made for fun and not much else. A close second would be balisongs.

Internet search Aranyik

They were so cheap that I ended up ordering an E-toh with hole, E-nep, Extended latin machete and this thing which is listed as a Hybrid Machete 3.5 inch.... they also have the same knife in a 4 inch deep belly, but it starts to look too much like a cleaver to me and IMHO the extra weight of the taller blade would just make it more unwieldy without adding really anything to the chopping performance.

Of the 4 I got... this one is very clearly ( at least to me ) the clear winner in use...

The Etoh has a straight blade edge which keeps it from biting as deep as it should in wood, likely a GREAT pineapple or coconut knife though
The Enep has a very pronounced curve to the edge ....its sweet spot actually chops better than this one, but its sweet spot is so small this one actually cuts more material with its slightly curved edge.
The Latin Machete is a beast in its own right, easily short sword length but due to being Latin pattern, its not the best chopper, FANTASTIC on woody grasses and thin twiggy limbs as you would expect a Latin pattern to be, but still almost 1/4 inch thick and built like a tank, it CAN chop logs if needed, its just not the most efficient at it.

This Hybrid machete though... is solid gold. Enough curve to always be presenting a shearing edge to the target, just the right length for a true wood processing tool, enough mass to make the work easy, and the whole darned thing is sweet spot...I love it!

Its all irrational fun. Its why we have them. Its why we come here and talk about them....which is even more irrational. :)

Lord isn't this my truth, lol........So many toys, some of us even get into axes. I try to justify much of this with my outdoor interests, but that reasoning can get pretty thin at times. Maybe the one that makes me blush a bit is the Condor Combat machete. Straight out of a Waking Dead episode, lol.

Internet search Aranyik

They were so cheap that I ended up ordering an E-toh with hole, E-nep, Extended latin machete and this thing which is listed as a Hybrid Machete 3.5 inch.... they also have the same knife in a 4 inch deep belly, but it starts to look too much like a cleaver to me and IMHO the extra weight of the taller blade would just make it more unwieldy without adding really anything to the chopping performance.

Of the 4 I got... this one is very clearly ( at least to me ) the clear winner in use...

The Etoh has a straight blade edge which keeps it from biting as deep as it should in wood, likely a GREAT pineapple or coconut knife though
The Enep has a very pronounced curve to the edge ....its sweet spot actually chops better than this one, but its sweet spot is so small this one actually cuts more material with its slightly curved edge.
The Latin Machete is a beast in its own right, easily short sword length but due to being Latin pattern, its not the best chopper, FANTASTIC on woody grasses and thin twiggy limbs as you would expect a Latin pattern to be, but still almost 1/4 inch thick and built like a tank, it CAN chop logs if needed, its just not the most efficient at it.

This Hybrid machete though... is solid gold. Enough curve to always be presenting a shearing edge to the target, just the right length for a true wood processing tool, enough mass to make the work easy, and the whole darned thing is sweet spot...I love it!

Thank you sir! I'm now about to order a few more knives! I'm not sure if I should actually be thanking you or blaming you for all the money I'm about to spend lol.

This one felt like it was, but it is quite a bit more functional than it looks (the apparently useless sawback works fairly well as a "chopping" edge, especially going through knots). I did have to take it apart and reassemble it while roughing up the tube interior with a drill, to make the entirely re-done G-Flex joint more secure. It also wasn't set perfectly straight to the handle originally, but now it is. The sheath has been changed now to an Ontario 8613 nylon sheath (better scratch-free liner), the sheath tip similarly folded over shorter as here on this old TOPS sheath.

PC266791_zpszuskfovn.jpg

It doesn't look like it, but the edge is extremely thin and yet strong, very durable while chopping, even at around 12 per side, probably one of the sharpest knives I have ever owned. The oversized 1.15" inner diameter handle, outer 1.25" (almost no hollow handle significantly exceeds 0.85" inner/1" outer) allows shoving a strong handle or stick inside the tube, which can't be done at all on the usual size.

Gaston

Fun thread. I would agree that the majority of my blades are unnecessary/just for fun, but my katana probably wins for most irrational. I have a LOT of fun with it though, nice way to blow off steam :D

2yye0rq.jpg

30u9rhz.jpg

Cheness Tenchi

Its got to be my White River Knucklehead. I never use neck knives, but sometimes just have to put it on.

mbffx94.jpg

Just ordered this... Bead blasted PCC. Balis are pretty much toys.

SOG pentagon elite 2. Havn't carried it in a long time (partly since its in storage) but it was never a really "practical" knife, but fun as all get out.

Silliest fun though was getting a ka-bar khuk on the same day a buddy got his henwei practical plus katana. So what to do with them? use them a steak knives of course!

Back