Your Omega Spring Story

Not sure because I've never had an Omega spring break but does the remaining spring still make the axis lock work ok?

I was just reassembling my Griptilian and it opened and locked and THEN I noticed that one of the springs was still in the parts tray I was using.

It worked but I wouldn't want to rely on it.

TG

I have had it happen with both springs on my ritter mini grip, about two months after I got it for Christmas. I sent it in to benchmade and they fixed it up, gave me new screws and even cleaned my old noryl gtx handles. Great warranty service. Top quality for sure.

A 746 I got had a broken spring in about a week, so I got a replacement at the Turner's Outdoorsman I got it from.
People say the Axis lock will work without one spring no problem, but I beg to differ, the detent became very weak and it being an unbelievably smooth knife it opened up in my front trench coat pocket and I almost cut myself when reaching in to get something else in the same pocket, not helped by it being hair shaving sharp from the factory.
Funny how good aspects of a knife turned into bad aspects because of a weak detent.
The Axis lock works with one spring if you REALLY have no other choice, but the detent becomes nonexistent and that's not good for EDC.
Anyways, the replacement hasn't had any problems and was as perfect as the first, but wary I am now of this lock and I don't feel as good with it when I first got it and not being able to flick a knife open as much as you want to reeally stings hard.

It sure is reassuring to hear about the non-failures but it's also revealing to hear about the ones that didn't quite hold up. I'm relatively new to Benchmade and I've got no doubt the Axis lock is sturdy but something in the back of my mind will always make me wary of the omega spring. If one breaks, the lock will still actuate and engage although personally I would never consider using it in that state. All the pressure is forced to the side with the spring intact and I just wouldn't feel right using the knife that way.

9blades, I got a Mini Onslaught as my 2nd ever Benchmade last month and I sure hope this sucker doesn't snap like yours did lol

Just got my first BM back in January a Griptilian 553, and later a 710. No problems with them so far, and i think the Axis lock is just great!
Couple of days back i went over to a local dealer here, thinking of picking up something new...after looking at a number of knives i had in mind, decided to get a second 710D2...what can i say...just like the 710 that much ;) it was almost closing time for them, so i did not really spend too much time inspecting the knife...blade seemed close enough to centered, grind looked good...but then when i got home and took a closer look...it seemed like the omega spring was stuck under the scale...
Here are some cell phone pics:
sJaUBQVl.jpg

Ly4QxmWl.jpg

ERAlNNLl.jpg

e2ZkDX7l.jpg

Went back and the dealer exchanged it, no problems. However, they only had three come in and this was one of them. Another one had the blade way off center, almost touching the edge, and the third one, which i ended up taking, has an uneven grind near the tip of the blade...
I know these are production blades, but i had higher expectations of BM quality control...
The 710D2 that i had purchased earlier was pretty much perfect...

That's it for my axis lock story so far...

I completely understand some of the concerns expressed in this thread.. If it makes anyone feel any better The vast overwhelming majority of AXIS lock owners have used their knives for years with literally thousands of opening's and closing's without any issue at all.

Although when you read of an instance of a broken spring, even if rarely, it does give one pause. For what it's worth I've been reading these forums and threads for years with particular attention to lock performance of all types and by far read more instances of lock rock, slippage, actual failures and blade closing's with liner, frame and even lockbacks then the AXIS. Also, I have yet to read or hear on one instance of an AXIS actually failing because of a broken Omega spring. That's a pretty good track record if you ask me.

Based on that and my own personal experience of having and using AXIS lock knives from almost the beginning I have complete confidence in the lock, or more so then the one's I've mentioned above.

One last note, (not directed at anyone in this thread) in all fairness, if you have a problem, any problem with a warranty / service issue, the first thing you should do is contact customer service, not start a thread about it. That goes for all companies, brands and makers.

Give them a chance to correct the problem first and also see if there may be an aggravating factor that you might not have been aware of. BM Customer service is one of if not the best around. They will always take good care of you.

Last edited:
Hey pbcg,

Not that I took your comment about not starting a thread directed at me, but as the starter of this thread I just have to say that I don't think there's anything out of place here. I nothing but respect for Benchmade, all knifemakers and companies, and fellow knife enthusiasts. I simply thought I'd share my experience with a broken spring and wanted to hear others tales as well.

I appreciate you sharing your knowledge and experience on the subject as well. I've learned a lot about the Axis lock and Omega springs from this thread alone and I enjoyed hearing other peoples stories of their Benchmades.

I had one break on a mini grip that has an oval hole that I waved and flicked countless times. I took it apart and used the good one as a pattern and with some 0.025" MIG welding wire and 2 pairs of needle nose pliers had a new set made and the knife put back together in about 30 minutes. Much easier than sending in and still going strong about a decade later.

I have since made a couple sets for other people and mailed them out. I would much rather have a lock I can fix at home in a few minutes than something like a liner lock that has to be sent to the company to be fixed and a new liner put in. Assuming they even have the parts to fix it. The AXIS lock is a brilliant design from an engineering stand point and basically what all other locks want to be. It is about all I carry anymore and as many times as I have flicked open and closed, something I trust more than any other lock. It may not be perfect with an occasional broken spring, but it is a lot closer than any other lock I have used. I have had liner, frame, back, and Hawk locks all fail or wear out at some point.

I'd like to thank everyone kindly for sharing their Omega Spring story, each one was pleasant to read and I learned a lot. It was noted on many occasions that Benchmade provides great customer service and this I can attest to as last week I received back my factory serviced Mini Bone Collector and I'm delighted by not only it's return but by the remarkable quality and care provided throughout.

BKC: Replaced springs, washers, screws, cleaned, adjusted, oiled, sharpened as needed. Pivot secured for safe shipment into Canada, please adjust in very minute increments to prevent pivot from becoming too loose and developing blade play.

Incredible service at no charge and the resharpened edge is a thing of beauty. Thank you very much Benchmade, very much appreciated! :):thumbup:

- Mibs

It seems like the guys that have problems with broken omega springs sometimes have the issue again with the same knife. I'm not sure if that means there's something wrong with the knife (perhaps some internal problem causing the spring failure) or something to do with how they use/open/close the knife. I've never had one break in years of using my 950 daily, but I did just send in a brand new out of the box 810 because it had very weak omega springs, so we'll see how it gets returned. The axis lock was significantly easier to pull rearward compared to my other BM's but it did not appear either spring was broken from what I could see inside the liner cutouts.

I did just send in a brand new out of the box 810 because it had very weak omega springs, so we'll see how it gets returned. The axis lock was significantly easier to pull rearward compared to my other BM's but it did not appear either spring was broken from what I could see inside the liner cutouts.

My 810's axis lock is also is very easy to actuate, it seems to be an attribute of this particular model. The lock seems strong so I have not been concerned thus far

Yeah I've heard that about the 810 in other places too. I don't believe the lock springs were weak enough to allow it to fail under use, but it make the blade retention practically non-existent, which I'm picky about since I've had more than one knife partially open in my pocket in the field. It appears partly due to the weak omega springs and partly due to the elimination of the blade "notch" the axis bar sits in when the blade is closed and has to overcome when the blade first opens compared to older models, plus it's a bigger/heavier blade. My guess is they like many other companies these days they are catering to the knife flipping mall ninjas trying to find a way so users can flip open the axis lock knives easier, which is fine but I won't give up blade retention and safety for it. Hopefully they can put some stronger springs in or it will have to go away.

I had a knife that had a strange rattle in it so I sent it in to Benchmade for service. They returned it like new and told me that an Omega spring was broken. I got it used, and it was the only one of many Axis lock knives I have that this has happened to, so I consider it a fluke.

Back