1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

your opinion re. chromium oxide

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by BruceMack, Dec 7, 2018.

1. BruceMack

BruceMack

May 20, 2015
    I love edges that cut paper effortlessly. I have a new Endura ZDP-189 with 20° micro bevels. The knife is great for the cutting I do, mostly cardboard or 40-pound wild birdseed bags. After profiling with the KME, I have used the Sharpmaker for edge maintenance, seeking effortless paper cutting as my endpoint.
    Chromium oxide on leather gives me a much finer edge than 1 micron diamond spray or paste on leather, cherry, or hardboard. I haven't as much experience with other steels and would like to hear from the sharpeners.

2. Chrome oxide is likely just cleaning up the edge a little bit on the ZDP-189. It's less hard than even the chromium carbides in ZDP-189 (of which there's a lot of it). So, the CrOx will work on the matrix steel a bit, without doing much to the carbides themselves. It sounds like most of the benefit you see in cutting paper is coming from the bit of 'bite' left by the Sharpmaker's rods, and the stropping isn't modifying that too much, aside from cleaning up loose remnants of the matrix steel, after sharpening.

1-micron diamond, on the other hand, will quickly polish everything at the edge, all carbides included. You're probably polishing away some of the 'bite' left at the edge from the work on the SM, and that change in the edge's character is impacting how it's cutting the paper.

A little bit of 'tooth' in an edge, even it's some 'micro-tooth' left by Fine/UF ceramics like the SM's hones, is usually the better thing for paper-slicing, as opposed to a more polished edge for the same test of sharpness.