Your opinion sought.

Hey Gajinoz - I'll be vastly disappointed if you don't post a picture of yourself wearing an "I got crabs at Fisherman's Wharf" T-shirt when you get back. :D

TorzJohnson said:
Hey Gajinoz - I'll be vastly disappointed if you don't post a picture of yourself wearing an "I got crabs at Fisherman's Wharf" T-shirt when you get back. :D
I'm sure that would impress the hell out of my wife too! ;)

BTW, for you SF dwellers, any good knife shops there I should know about?

gajinoz said:
Speaking of Germans ....

It seems that while they were travelling on the bus through the desert they decided to have a nap. They woke up 4 hours later and couldn't figure out what the hell had happened. The bus was still going but the scenery looked exactly the same as it did when they went to sleep. They couldn't believe you could travel for four hours and nothing would change. :D

I had the same experience here in the U.S. It's called Texas.

I'm with Gollnick on this one. The new Cadillacs are fast and nice. Driving from S.F. to Las Vegas is a great trip with lots of scenery changes depending on the route you take.

Hoist one at the Buena Vista (or *fill in the blank*) bar for me when you get to S.F. I misspent much of my youth there.

Gaj,
At least one way between SF and LV travel I-80 between SF/Reno, then south through western Nevada to glitter gulch. There are only a few small cities like Hawthorne and Tonapah, but it is a great portion of what you might call the American Outback. Lots of desert and alpine mountain ranges.

shgeo said:
Are you taking application for Samoan attornies that know which side of the road we drive on here?

Don't tell him about the bats - the poor fool will see them soon enough :D

Hey Gaj you should just buy a car then sell it on your way out. I had a '73 Buick Skylark convertible - the full open top yank tank experience. Cost me $800 and I drove it from San Francisco to Montana and back then all around California.

Ming65 said:

Hey Gaj you should just buy a car then sell it on your way out. I had a '73 Buick Skylark convertible - the full open top yank tank experience. Cost me $800 and I drove it from San Francisco to Montana and back then all around California.
Yeah, that would be the cheap way but this particular fantasy involves large, new and flash. I want to arrive at the door of one of those giant gaudy hotels looking like some sort of weird foreign pimp. :)

This is a business opportunity right here: There's Rent-A-Wreck. There are companies that specialize in renting exotic sports cars, that sort of thing. My new company: Rent-A-Pimp-Mobile!

Gollnick said:
http://www.rentexoticcars.com/index.aspx?City=Las%20Vegas&Category=Sponsors

I think you ought to get the Viper, myself. A Ferrari Modena would be nice, but I'll bet you drive one of those everyday; who doesn't? The Hummer would be the quintessential ugly American way to drive from Frisco to Vegas. I don't know if you can rent one of those in Frisco, though; they may be illegal there.
Ferrari? Feh! they use those for taxis here. The hummer would certainly carry all my wife's luggage and all the knives I'd like to buy but I don't want to look like some sort of deranged backwoods armageddon survivalist or something.

The Viper would be nice but I'm not sure I want to spend $3000 plus mileage to drive around for a week!

I can show you where I work, which is one of the two largest cutlery distributors in the USA.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

If you decide to drive south from SF and then head to LV from Barstow on the I-15, that is going to be the straight desert driving part and you will find that many vehicles will probably be on the side of the road from overheating. Major problem. There shouldn't be a lot of traffic going to Vegas and since you're flying out from Vegas you won't get caught up in the drive home traffic.

Depending on which route you take from SF, you will be able to see some beautiful country. Of course, you could always take the coastal route - Hwy 101 which is a beautiful drive. Then hop on over to Barstow and on to Vegas.

judy

Ming65 said:

LMAO... Gajinoz, if a CHP (California Highway Patrol) officer puts his lights on behind you... Floor it. Then put on your turn signal to notify of your intent to find a nice place to pull over. :D

Enjoy your trip :cool:

gajinoz said:
Yeah, that would be the cheap way but this particular fantasy involves large, new and flash. I want to arrive at the door of one of those giant gaudy hotels looking like some sort of weird foreign pimp. :)

Or to quote Hunter S. Thompson: "Savage Journey to the Heart of the American Dream".

I trust your trunk will contain less felonius material than his ever did.

"A car is just a car but a Lincoln means Luxury!"

...A buddy of mine swears by them and is always saying that.

You can definately find places that will rent you a town car - probably a bit easier than finding someplace that rents caddies. Take the collision damage waiver - its not exactly insurance; basically the same for all intents & purposes though. And it won't cost you any more than it would anyone else.

However, you may want to check with your credit card company - you may already have free travel insurance that will transfer to the rental vehicle provided you use that credit card to secure & pay for the transaction. It's worth looking into.

Sounds like you'll want to stay at either Ceasers or Belagio - but there are lots of other nifty hotels on the strip too... We stayed at MGM last time - I liked it a little better than some of the others. Enjoy you're trip!

Back