Your Opinion >> Spike or Poll? >> And Why?

Oh, a spike hawk is just as useful as a hammer poll. I believe that most hawk enthusiasts think that the spike is for braining someone. It makes a great awl for large holes, it will gouge out a nice groove, (it is superior to a knife for this). A hammer poll will hammer.

Brother Shooter is wrong...again. ;) How many awl jobs do I need to perform in the field? Not many. If I need to "brain" someone (unlikely) why would I choose to drill a small spike shaped hole in that person instead of using the blade end to open a wide crushing wound? I say a beer bottle opener would be more useful on the end of my hawk then a spike! :p The only valid arguments I see to promote a spike is (1) as a breeching tool, or (2) as a digging tool.

Yes. Dem's fightin' words fellas...but what do you think?

What is your Opinion? Do you choose a spike or a poll...and Why? :confused:

(No disrepect intended for anyone's position...but I am genuinely interested in everyone's opinion). :thumbup:

Welllllllllll........... I have always thought that the spike was silly. Yes, I can see how it might be useful as an Awl, I use the one on my SAK all the time in the field, but it seems that on a hawk it would be a bit hard to do any use work with it because of how awkward it would be.

I would choose a Poll everytime. To me it has a ton of applications in the field.

so +1 for a Poll

(Keep in mind this is from a guy that just order his first Hawks, and hasnt even recieved them)

one good argument that i've heard for a spike hawk is that you can use the spike to split up kindling well. you hold a stick or wood split on a log, and swing the spike down into it. wrench the wood sideways to break the wood apart.

on the other hand, you can do the same thing with the blade, perhaps even better.

for me, i think i'll stick to the hammer poll. except for when i need to break down doors and things. then i'll get a fireman's axe with a proper sized spike...

i have never tried a true hammer poll yet, only the ones like the CS plainsman hawk with a hammering surface. maybe it is still considered a hammer poll:confused: my spike hawks do feel better in motion which i will attribute to Vec's tracking capabilities of that extension.

the only time i used the spike was to drag and carry dead falls around the campsite. saved from getting my hands dirty. i would rather have a hammer poll hawk but with more edge than the trail hawk and a whole lot less weight than the rifleman's.

One of the best non-weapon uses of a spike I've ever heard of was for digging. I think it could also be useful as an ice-axe type of tool to aid in climbing. Where I hunt, I sometimes have to make my way up some steep ravines and a movable hand-hold would come in handy now and then.

As a weapon, I think there is too much risk of getting a spike snagged or trapped, with bad result. (The extreme beards you sometimes see fall into this category too IMO.)

All in all I'd rather have a poll.

Last edited:
I like to break into and open things(or have the ability to)...spike is better then hammer poll for that...but I have to hawks...the one the wife carries and mine :)

Poll. I've never needed a spike sized awl. A hammer is downright useful though.

Personaly I prefer the hammer poll for the things I usualy do these days. The spike was mainly for weapon use in the days when a hawk was one of the primary hand to hand weapons of the day. The poll comes in really handy driving pegs and making trap sets.

I know too many people with not enough holes in their heads.

If I am going camping, I'll probably take a hammer poll. If I am going zombieing, I'll take the spike...

i think we are gonna see hawks with both spikes and polls soon, so it really doesn't matter.

:D:thumbup:

vec

Never had a spiked hawk BUT, as a trapper I'd love to have an extra digging tool handy. And the ice axe/pick concept when applied to those lovely trappable creek banks might prevent me from becoming an ulfcicle.

I've used the sides of hawks, hatchets and axes as hammers for years. You don't need a poll to hammer, just common sense safety.

O.K. Spike again...... From some of my old (and new) Infantry friends have discussed the fact that the spike is pretty usefull to some degree as a breaching tool for MOUT type building clearing. I can see that being of value. Personally I prefer the hammer poll but have really enjoyed training with the back spike on my Emerson CQC-T. I think it is worthwhile to work with the back spike if for no other reason than to understand how it is employed, advantages, disadvantages etc. If you are serious about studying weapons this type of on-going argument over which/why one is better than another is pointless. There is no ultimate fighting weapon and people are going to use what they like. There is noone wrong on this agument...just preference and after all it's about the man knowing 'many things' and expanding his knowledge of oh so many weapons. When you start making the links between Asian, Western, and history vs modern I find looking for the next weapon to study is far more important than trying to chase 'dreams' of which is the best. It's about knowledge I guess.

All My Best
Dwight

O.K. Spike again...... From some of my old (and new) Infantry friends have discussed the fact that the spike is pretty usefull to some degree as a breaching tool for MOUT type building clearing. I can see that being of value. Personally I prefer the hammer poll but have really enjoyed training with the back spike on my Emerson CQC-T. I think it is worthwhile to work with the back spike if for no other reason than to understand how it is employed, advantages, disadvantages etc. If you are serious about studying weapons this type of on-going argument over which/why one is better than another is pointless. There is no ultimate fighting weapon and people are going to use what they like. There is noone wrong on this agument...just preference and after all it's about the man knowing 'many things' and expanding his knowledge of oh so many weapons. When you start making the links between Asian, Western, and history vs modern I find looking for the next weapon to study is far more important than trying to chase 'dreams' of which is the best. It's about knowledge I guess.

All My Best
Dwight

hey, brother mclemore - why do you have to kill discussion with point blank common sense statements like that?!!

:D:thumbup:

vec

c'mon now, venerable-brother Q - give him a break - proper hawks, spiked or not, make me wanna kill everything too...:D....

brother dwight is just following what nature tells him, i reckon...:cool::thumbup:....

we must learn to forgive - har!

spike me.

vec

I prefer a hammer poll but a spike does have a few useful features. It can work as an ice axe or pick to keep from falling down steep embankments.

The spike was used on a war hammer to pierce armour but i don't see it being that useful today ,although the enemy is starting to get body armour.

I'm so sorry for killing the discussion. I've now fell into a fit of depression that can only be cured by another turkey sandwitch (left-overs) and playing with my Emerson now.

Best Dwight

I'm so sorry for killing the discussion. I've now fell into a fit of depression that can only be cured by another turkey sandwitch (left-overs) and playing with my Emerson now.

Best Dwight

Dwight this is off topic but I have 4 of your books and enjoy them very much thanks for taking the time to do all those drawings. Much Apreciated:thumbup::D

Back