Your opinions on the Vesuvius?

KBR

I'm expecting my Vesuvius 50/50, w/shell inlay, any day now and I wanted to know what kind of problems, if any, that I may experience with this Spydie (i.e. blade opening in pocket, etc.).

I've read some threads that mention the blade opening up while in pocket. What would be the best way to take care of this problem?

Also, for those of you that have the blue shell inlay, has the inlay rubbed off, chipped, broken off, etc.? Do you carry it as an EDC, even though it may be a little flashy?

I appreciate any feedback. Thanks. :D

I wanna know too cause I like how the Vesuvius looks.

I was recently very interested in the Vesuvius w/ blue shell inlay. However, another forum member replied to me that his inlay began flaking and chipping very soon after he got it. He then returned it to Spyderco and got one without a shell inlay. I wasn't so excited about it after hearing that. :(

I have a forum model,haven't used it but the black one i had the blade had a lot of play in it in all directions.It had not seen hard use.

The only problem I had with my Vesuvius(plain edge, blue inlay) is I wanted to carry it tip-up in my left front pocket. But it bit me twice. The Compression lock doesn't hold the blade closed tight. I think it was my fault also, it is the pocket with my keys, and at work I'm always digging out my keys. So I moved my Vesuvius to right rear, tip up, and haven't had a problem since. The blade is still facing out away from the pocket seam, but it has never opened in my rear pocket.
I have carried mine and used mine as EDC for awhile now. I'm not sure how long, but 6 months easy. My inlay still looks new. I've been extremly happy with mine and recommend it to anyone. It is such a good deal. ATS-34 steel, Compression lock, bigger than a Delica, smaller then the Endura, not too skinny, not too thick, FRN handle with steel inserts, and traction grooves behind the hole. The price is good, its not like buying a Chinese Folder(but I recommend the Chinese Folder also). :) Buy one.

Blades

I just received my Vesuvius today, but found some flaws in it so Monday it will be on its' way back to the dealer for a replacement. :(

The blade was LOOSE, both sideways and had a little play when attempting to close it while in the locked position. Although the Compression Lock was in place, the pivot was loose between the scales as if it had been loosened. It could be opened with a mere flick of the wrist. (Yeah, it was that loose!!) The clip also had some slight signs of wear around the edges, as if this knife was :eek:"used":eek: . To top these problems, the part of the blade that is close to the pivot has scratches as if this Spydie has been opened and closed MANY times. AND, this same part on the blade has some minor grime, not very bad but it is there.

IMO, this (supposedly NIB) Vesuvius is a used knife.:grumpy:

Good news is, though, the dealer that I bought it from has offered to replace it ASAP(don't exactly know this used Spydie got into same inventory as those NIB). I am very glad for this type of prompt service. The Vesuvius is a beautiful Spyder; elegant inlay, not too heavy but not light, AWESOME blade size and shape, textured spine, and, of course, the Compression Lock.

I hope that the replacement NIB Vesuvius that I receive is in much better shape than this one.

P.S.-Blades, I know what you mean about the Lum Chinese. I bought a green one last week and I absolutely love it. I don't carry it for EDC, though, I don't want to scratch the blade or handle at work. ;) I'm having a hard time trying to decide 'when' to carry it. :rolleyes:

KBR: Keep me updated!!!! I want to know if the actual NIB replacement is much better ;)

calyth, believe me, I've got my fingers crossed hoping that the next one will be ALOT better. ;) I'll keep you updated.

Hmmm...I was inspecting some of the Salsa's and noticed although they, too, are compression locked, they have a detend in a scale that really keeps the blade closed snugly, much stronger than any liner lock's ball detent. Perhaps the Vesuvius can have that feature added on to make it more secure closed???
Jim

I really only have two major problems with my Vesuvius:
The blade retention (as others have already mentioned). It has come open in my pocket twice and I don't carry it any more. A ball-detent would probably solve the problem.

The other problem is the thumb ramp--it's way too sharp at the peak. I've scratched the back my hand on the ramp's peak too many times when reaching in to my pocket for coins and stuff.

I'll keep the Vesuvius because I collect unusual knives and it is my only compression-lock knife, but it will have to reside in the box instead of my pocket.

Good luck,
Allen.

I purchased a 50/50 combo edge Vesuvius with the Spyderco bug on the FRN handle a couple of days ago at a Bass Pro Shop in Georgia. It was a display model which was the only one they had left, but I agreed to buy it anyway. Curiously, it looked just like the model KBR received from his dealer!!! Since I planned to tote it as my EDC knife, I didn't mind the slight wear around the edges of the pocket clip, nor the "rub" marks around the pivot end of the blade.

It had a small bit of up/down and side play, but I tinkered with the eccentric pivot and the play is gone. (I'm sure I voided my warranty, but it worked.) You can reverse the pocket clip for tip up or tip down carry, but with the lack of a ball detent to provide a secure blade retention in the closed position, the safest method of carry would be tip down. Personally, I carry mine tip up, but I clip it against the seem of my pocket to prevent any accidental opening. I've had no problems yet.

I like the overall thin profile of the Vesuvius and the bug insert looks really nice on the handle. It feels good in the hand and I have no complaints about the ATS-34 blade. Unlocking the compression lock is something that took me a bit to get used to (I'm too accustomed to linerlocks and lockbacks), but it is easy to work with when you get used to it. It may not appeal to everyone, but I for one like it very much.

Back