Your options on the CRK Professional Soldier?

I am interested in getting a neck knife and I'm looking at the CRK Professional Soldier. I like the design and s35vn is tried and true as far as my experience with it goes.

Do you guys think this blade is worth the 200 dollar price tag? I'm seeing a lot of equally nice neck knives for well below that price point and I'm curious to know what all that extra money is getting me with the CRK Professional Soldier versus say... A Becker Necker or something much cheaper.

What kind of info would you like...I bought one when they were S30V and I carry it whenever pocket clipped knives won't work for me. For example, tonight I have a military retirement dinner and my knives look funky/don't go with my suit. So I will wear my PS with my suit, accessible to me only. I carry it for other situations as well. For me it is a solid piece of mind. Other knives will do the same job (i.e. my JMK necker in elmax) but the PS is a LOT more carry friendly in this situation. For general use...go with what you feel comfortable with paying/wearing.

I had a PS in S35VN. It is a good knife but I don't care for skeletonized handled knives. However, of the knives I have had which were skeletonized (Izula, Scrapivore, etc), the PS was far and away better in terms of ergonomics and obviously fit and finish. Personally, I found it too large for a neck knife. It is worth $200 in my opinion, but as you state, there are other less expensive options. Perhaps a bark river bravo necker? Good F&F, optional handle scales, lower price tag, 3V steel. Its a little smaller,as well.

Another option is to get a neck knife from forum member Jason Wilder of Wilder Forge. He sells an $80 necker that he hand makes in his shop. I have one, and its a great size and weight, and he offers a lot of handle options as well.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1014879-Wilder-Forge-Neck-Knives

From what I understand it is a "vest-knife".
It is a three finger knife and i like it as a beater.
hope this helps
red mag

Here is a review I did on the PS back when I got it. Mine is S30V. I still feel the same about it today as I did back then. Mine has not seen as much action as some as I use my sebenzas for most of my cutting needs. Now there are options with a tanto or insingo blade, but for me, it will be the original version. The way I tie/wrap my lanyard on the hilt gives it lots of grip btw.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...Soldier?highlight=professional soldier review

I've had the PS for about 5 years and love it. I started with similar knives like the izula and they were fine too, at a much lower price point, and did what you would expect from that type of knife. I live near Smoky Mountain Knife Works, largest knife store in the world. I went in there looking at similar knives from Becker and Tops after my izula. And then I saw their CRK Professional Soldier. And I lost it and knew I had to get it. It is like a beautiful piece of jewelry as well as having as good functionality. So, I bought it and I love it. It goes with me strapped to the down tube on my bicycle... just in case I need it. Look, fellow knife enthusiasts, let's get real. Do you need it? No of course not, an izula or becker or Tops etc. will do the same things. But it is gorgeous - the fit and finish makes it something to be desired just as the Rolexes and the Campagnola Record components we have. If you can't afford it, then ok. But it is like a Rolex - you can do the same thing, possibly better (wrt accuracy) for much less $ but the Rolex is very satisfying too own.. Really we don't need to BS about nearly non existent differences in performance.

Excellent review, Blade Man. You have gone into great detail about why it is such a good knife. And you said what I was trying to say, too. It is such a beautiful piece of work, both aesthetically and functionally, that the questions of whether it is worth 4x an Izula drop away once you handle and live with it. Believe me, it gives more than its $200 worth of satisfaction.

I really like the design but it is too much money for me. An Izula, or Becker 11, or TOPS CAT, or Blackjack Necker will work the same way and cost a lot less, but won't look nearly as nice IMO.

I wouldnt drop that kind of $ on a skeletonized necker made of s35.
There are no mechanical parts and so many more options for less

I recently purchased one of these in S30v at the marketplace and am impressed with the quality of this ultralight, minimalist fixed blade. It feels solid in my hand, cuts like a razor and hides away well.

My Professional Soldier was like new and didn't cost too much more than an Izula.

Well done Chris Reeves and Professional Soldier!

My experience is that the handle is too short. I have medium sized hands and I just couldn't get over how short and cramped my hand felt. Otherwise it was awesome. Wound up selling mine.

I picked one up and you're exactly right. The handle is definitely short... I can only get 3 fingers and part of a pinky around the whole thing.

The blade shape and steel are really what drew me to it though. It's like having a fixed blade Sebenza on your neck.

The black coating also seems to be a magnet for scratches too... But I guess that comes with the territory for a coated blade.

Back