Your Post MAP Enforcement Benchmade Purchases (if any)

Just the 484 Nakamura, which I found for ~$165 new.
I really, really want the 940-1 and will probably buy one before the end of the year... but $263.50 is a pretty big chunk of change. Found one for $220 NIB on the official Benchmade forum but the seller was not forthcoming about the actual condition of the knife so I passed.

Bought a D2 mini-Grip from Cabelas, and a tan 275 Adamas. I'll probably keep buying. I don't like it, but they're still one of only two companies that I like to carry, and their prices, street prices, are similar.

The only new Benchmade I've purchased is a KW exclusive, which has never had the discount. My 51, 32, and 950 were all purchased used.

M390 810
909s

Still want to score the 908, the M390 710, and a 940-1. Too many knives, not enough pockets.

Edit to add:
+ REI G10 Grip
+ MSK-RK1 (S30V). Now need to scoop the M390 as well.

Last edited:
I did buy another Benchmade recently, that is, the Benchmade H&K 14715BK. However, at $93 shipped I'd buy Benchmades like that all year.

Last edited:
None, zero, nada. All of my new Benchmades have been purchased on the secondary market. I love Benchmade, but I hate heavy handed marketing. I'll admit when the M390 Contego, 710, and 940-1 were offered I was tempted to play "add to cart" but when I did the calculations and realized what I could have bought them for pre-"no F'n discount" days, well, I refused to comply. Now I am patiently waiting for those items to show up in the exchange. I am a very patient man.

I'll admit when the M390 Contego, 710, and 940-1 were offered I was tempted to play "add to cart" but when I did the calculations and realized what I could have bought them for pre-"no F'n discount" days, well, I refused to comply.
Actually, KW never offered the discount on their exclusives, so the price for the 810-1401 and the 710-1401 would have been the same before and after the MAP enforcement.

Actually, KW never offered the discount on their exclusives, so the price for the 810-1401 and the 710-1401 would have been the same before and after the MAP enforcement.

Fair enough, you are absolutely right. I guess the Knifeworks exclusives are always going to be priced the same. So let me exclude those from my original statement, the standard 710, 950, 707, and the 162 went from acceptable purchases to "I don't think so".

I paid MAP for my first two benchmades, but now I know better... I will not pay MAP for another benchmade... Will. Not. I do not feel they are worth the MAP.

Last BM I bought I was ~12% under MAP on secondary market - tax and shipping included - so I effectively saved about 17-20%. That for a BM I carry 3-4 days per week. That knife was worth it, but just barely.

Some stores WILL sell you a BM for under MAP if you ask. MAP is not a minimum sale price.

There are a couple BMs I want, but I will wait until I can find them ~20% under MAP.

I paid MAP for my first two benchmades, but now I know better... I will not pay MAP for another benchmade... Will. Not. I do not feel they are worth the MAP.

Last BM I bought I was ~12% under MAP on secondary market - tax and shipping included - so I effectively saved about 17-20%. That for a BM I carry 3-4 days per week. That knife was worth it, but just barely.

Some stores WILL sell you a BM for under MAP if you ask. MAP is not a minimum sale price.

There are a couple BMs I want, but I will wait until I can find them ~20% under MAP.

How do you plan on doing this since no one can sell under MAP? The secondary market?

I have not bought the first one while I have well over 50 of the pre-MAP knives.

The patent for the AXIS will only be good for a couple more years. Aren't they already working with a patent extension? Hope they get things figured out before other companies start using the AXIS.

Got a 531, a few before map.
Prefer the sales on the boards here where I have picked up a few. They are so expensive I find it difficult to even carry the higher dollar stuff, don't want'em scratched so I prefer lightly used, a little cheaper and already some pocket carry wear.

How do you plan on doing this since no one can sell under MAP? The secondary market?

I have not bought the first one while I have well over 50 of the pre-MAP knives.

The patent for the AXIS will only be good for a couple more years. Aren't they already working with a patent extension? Hope they get things figured out before other companies start using the AXIS.

Wait, you WANT them to get a patent extension, so they can continue to monopolize that lock? Personally, I hope they don't get it, and the axis lock shows up on everything from here to China. Maybe that will drive their prices down a little. Or maybe not.

What I'm betting they are working on, with all their knives going to the axis lock, is a trademark. If they can make the axis lock their "trademark" lock, then every other company will be in the same boat on their lock as companies are now with the Spyderco hole. I think that is the reason you now see the Spyder-hole even on some (all?) newly-produced fixed-bladed Spyderco knives. They didn't used to do that. But now it's their trademark.

BM has good lawyers that will aggressively pursue the Axis lock's exclusive rights well beyond the expiration date. They know that it's their number one feature by far (which enables them to price knives the way they do, and lean on old models for the most part instead of innovating). I don't see the Axis going anywhere.

Only the 940-1 and it was for well below MAP. There were dealers on eBay with "or best offer", perhaps BM has pursued that. I think my 940-1 ended up being $215 shipped.

I agree BM's were much better deals before the new price restrictions but it's not the first BM pricing policy that has been unpopular with knife enthusiasts over the last 20 years People have forgot about those, and will forget about this one too. ZT is already enforcing a similar policy now so I'd expect more of it, not less. Probably 97% of BM's customers will never know or care about the policy changes.

Honestly I don't think knives like the 940-1 are priced outrageously at $263, but certainly higher than other options, if they came down about 10% they'd be right in line with other production knives with similar materials, say the $240 ZT 0562 CF, $240 ZT 0620CF, $220 0770 CF M390, Manix 2 XL CF S90v, etc.

As for me I think the best thing about BM is the axis lock, their QC seems to have slipped, so unless they have a design that really impresses me, I don't see many of them in my future.

I'm not happy with MAP, but Ive noticed that other knife company's pricing also creeping up slowly. Again, I'm not happy with enforced MAP, but I do understand logic behind it & it is all American design & made. I don't think benchmades are overpriced, I think they are just expensive.

since enforced MAP in order of purchase:
2x 15030-2
141SBKSN nimravus
707 Sequel
HK 14460BK nitrous blitz
707BK sequel
555HGYEL
525 mini presidio
525BK mini presidio
470-1 emissary
916SBK-ORG
2x 531BK light axis G10
2x 275BK Adamas
943 Osborne
477 emissary
940 Osborne
15016 Hunt hidden canyon

purchased 707BK, 555, & 943 from forum members, rest are from dealers.

contemplating on: tanto mini Stryker.
still searching: 481x shoki all model & 210x activator all.

I know for sure I will stop buying benchmades once I find all shoki's & activators.

Last edited:
For brand new knives:

710-1401 @ $199.95 (KW)
940-1 @ $171.70 (BM direct)
477 @ $150 (eBay)

Back