1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. CONTEST IS NOW CLOSED! Live stream of the winners being picked: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ6xurJWkhs

Hey folks! We're having a Becker Giveaway over in the Giveaway forum, check it out and have a chance to win a free Becker 4 Machax, Becker 5 Magnum Camp, or Becker 15 Short Trailing Point!
  3. Hey folks! We were alerted to a bug where several hundred members somehow got permanent paid memberships. We're going through and correcting that now. Somehow some of you somehow got yeaaaaaaars of free memberships, and, well, it happens. If your membership accidentally is turned off please post in the Service & Support forum thread with your transaction ID and I'll fix it

Your Reviews of Fiddleback Forge Knives

Discussion in 'Fiddleback Forge Knives' started by Fiddleback, Sep 2, 2015.

1. Comprehensivist

Comprehensivist Platinum Member Platinum Member

Aug 23, 2008
    Hey Jim,

I appreciate the heads up. I'll work on figuring out why the review links aren't working. It might take me a couple of days because of work priorities right now, but I'll get it fixed. I apologize for the technical difficulties.

Thanks,

Phil

2. Onedog

Onedog

Nov 5, 2013
    Absolutely no need for an apology. The work you do on this forum is always amazing to me and greatly appreciated. I just wanted to give you a heads up. Like I said before, I hope that I didn't just create a bunch of new work for you to do.

3. Double Barrel

Double Barrel

Apr 14, 2015
    Thank you, Phil! It means a lot coming from one of my favorite "Reviewers."

I remember reading something about you reshaping a handle sometime back. It may take a while before I get my nerve and skill up to take on the task. I know it would bump it up a notch or two on my favorites list.

Smithcrafter, you should be able to click on my username for contact options. You may need to be in web view if your using an app. I don't like posting my email on these forums.

4. Comprehensivist

Comprehensivist Platinum Member Platinum Member

Aug 23, 2008
    Jim,

I fixed the hyperlink problem in my "Index of Fiddleback Reviews" post on Page 1. They are functional now and you are cleared for take-off. Have fun on the journey.

Double Barrel,

Thanks for the kind words. You did great on your first review. You will get better each time you do one. My advice is to take lots of outdoor photos for the best natural lighting and pick the best ones to use in your review. I discard way more than I keep because my photography skills have a long way to go to match the likes of mistwalker and thurin among others around here. We are all a work in progress.

Thanks guys,

Phil

Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
  5. Smithcrafter

Smithcrafter

Feb 2, 2015
    Not finding your email to connect. Let me know. Thanks again!

6. VANCE

VANCE Allen, I have an axe to grind with you. Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 13, 2006
    hopefully onestarleather will add his youtube reviews here

7. HogWylder

HogWylder

Oct 1, 2015
  8. Joe Duder

Joe Duder

Jan 22, 2013
    I'm not quite sure how Brian pimped out his patina, but I get pretty good results with mustard, minced onions and garlic. It's been my experience, that when forcing a patina, rust is inevitable to some degree. If you look at 01 the wrong way or even think about water when working with 01, it rusts. Fortunately, (if using the right ingredients) one can form a very cool patina in a matter of minutes. The rust that forms in that amount of time is very superficial and can be rubbed away with a little water and your thumb. Once you form that patina, your blade has a nice layer of rust protection. It will rust if left wet or damp, but the patina gives you a little more room for error, but not much. Light rust that can be stropped or rubbed away doesn't bother me, pitting on the other hand is bad stuff.

My KE bushie rocks this patina. It took me two 20 mins sessions of covering the blade with the onion, garlic, mustard trifecta to achieve the below results. I like it.

Not all 01 is created equally. I've owned some 01 that I swore was stainless. Some 01 takes some effort to patina naturally. So keep that in mind if you don't plan on forcing a patina. If you do choose to force one, just have fun with it and find what works for you.

Cheers,

Josiah

[​IMG]

9. Kal-El

Kal-El Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 30, 2010
    That's slick Josiah

10. ncrockclimb

ncrockclimb Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2014
    Josiah, that is an amazing patina. I have never done that to one of my blades, but after seeing yours I think I am going to have to give it a try!

11. Joe Duder

Joe Duder

Jan 22, 2013

Thanks gentlemen.

12. Ankerson

Ankerson Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 2, 2002
  13. MountainMistWanderer

MountainMistWanderer

Dec 19, 2016
  14. Bmurray

Bmurray Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 9, 2012
  15. blood604

blood604

Jul 25, 2012
    My fav (well ive never used anything else) has always been to use sauerkraut! Ends up very similar to yours, its always worked out so well on mine, they nearly look like the 'spalting' was never ground off.
    I'd posts pics if I was home... but I also wanted to add if are unhappy with the result, 'Flitz' takes it right off.