Your Thanksgiving pictures

Happy Thanksgiving y'all!

ODEDw0c.jpg

FrjEw8g.jpg

hlyJx68.jpg

WaZ8WPF.jpg

Well, I haven't been around for a long while. I had a Field Knife and a EDC 2. thanks very much Comprehensivist!

Yin/Yang = Smart/Stupid.

Long story short, I had some life events, none bad mind you, just different. I moved twice inside of a year. Once from my rural Adirondack paradise to Semi-Rural northern northeast Pennsylvania. From there to The Sequoia National Forest of California.

I spent a year on one acre of overbuilt property. My wilderness experiences consisted of several fires inside a 16x20 raised bed garden area. I had a few folks searching for some Carothers goodness. so I parted with my blades.
Hind sight is 20/20 and all that, but it was a bonehead move.

Here is the driveway into the new place. (Not mine, I just work it)

It is private land inside the Sequoia N/F. Pretty cool spot to be.

Lots of work to do, and woods to play in.

That leads me to today. Our house is sort of half camp/half house. Nicer than your basic camp, but perhaps not up to normal home standards. Rustic may be a good word. Personally, I'm fine with rustic.

So, now that we're sort of caught up, on to today.

I was cruising this forum when I saw Nathan's Thanksgiving Photos post. The timing couldn't have been better. You see
I saw the error of my ways and recently acquired another Carothers from another Blade citizen. (What a cool guy)
My new knife is a FK2 (T&H). You folks sure like your initials!

I haven't really had the opportunity to use the FK2 much. But it's been on my belt here several days. I like the new nylon strap. The sheath has just the right amount of retention without it being difficult to draw or insert.

it was also good timing because as I was reading Nathan's post. My wife was telling me I needed to get off my butt and make the stuffing. Years ago I negotiated the stuffing job, because I knew it was easy and no one else really liked to do it.

I thought a great opportunity was staring me in the face. So I grabbed what is left of my camera and my new FK2.

I tossed a gob of Jimmy Dean Sausage into a hot skillet. and set about trying out my new toy.

First it was onions and celery,

The keen eye will notice there is crap everywhere. I usually try to take pictures devoid of useless clutter. But we are still unpacking, cleaning, storing and other useless excuses.

They were added to the sausage, as was some sage, thyme, rosemary, and parsley. I call it Simon and Garfunkel seasoning. Corny, but it works.

I must say it is beyond cool cooking on an oven older than I am. This old girl is cira 1946. I'm a '59 vintage.
This oven must have been amazing when it was new. It actually still is. Everything works except the clock.
It's just crazy cool to cook on. You guys can have the modern internet connected gizmos.

I wonder if any of the modern stoves will still be around and cooking 75 years from now?

Here is the stuffing ready to go. I also added some chopped apple to it.

That brings me to the next phase of this tale. We went to three different stores looking for a whole turkey last week. There were none to be had. That tied in nicely with no toilet paper, no whole milk, and no Spam. Covid I guess??

Since we couldn't find a bird, I by luck stumbled across this thing. A fully cooked 8 pound concoction of Breast Meat, White Meat and Solution! What the heck is Solution?? Is that like Soylent Green?

The keen eye will notice there is crap everywhere. I usually try to take pictures devoid of useless clutter. But we are still unpacking, cleaning, storing and other useless excuses.

So with not a lot to work with. I concocted this masterpiece, or scrap heap. Only time will tell.
I sprinkled it with salt & pepper, then covered it with bacon. Bacon and turkey seem made for each other.
Bacon has too much fat, turkey doesn't have enough. The beer was just to soften any let down when it comes out of the oven.

More later,
LV,

Last edited:
This is what came out of the old oven.

The FK2 made short work of it,

All the fixens, such as they are,

I was pleased with the outcome and my new toys performance.

Thanks Nathan for another cool performer.
LV,

P.S.
Another thing we couldn't source this year was pie plates. So the bride whipped up some mini Mince Meat and Apple Muffin Pies.

Last edited:
It's a tough time for a huge number of people. A time for thanks and gratitude is definitely in order, and although Canada technically 'celebrated' this particular holiday already, the sentiments are strong and my gratitude for you and Jo, and the crew, is real. Enjoy your food coma

Thanksgiving?

We just came back from cutting this bad boy down. Setting it up now.

It will look a lot better once I trim it up.

53AC411D-EE5F-4D27-A7FE-6E3C9361A40D.jpeg

Still have the little pumpkins in the background from Thanksgiving.

For many of us, 2020 was a year unlike any we’ve experienced before, but I and many of us have an unbelievable amount to be grateful for.

Looks like some great meals and memories.

First Thanksgiving in my 49 years that wasn't spent with extended family. Pretty much par for 2020 but my sister and her adult kids all have the Covid or were heavily exposed, and she was hosting this year so it was canceled last minute.

We had a great time in spite of the change. Went to the play ground, then saw the new Croods movie (first visit to an indoor theatre since February!) and had dinner Brazilian style.

tday1.jpg

tday2.jpg

tday3.jpg

Back