Your thoughts on the Benchmade Griptilian

For the past 3 years, I have been carrying a CRKT Apache as my main muti-purpose/ self protection balde, the problem with it is that the thumb stud is only found on the right side, and thus makes it difficult to open with my left hand, if my rght hand is busy. I'm thinking about purchasing a Benchmade 550 Griptilian with the sheepsfoot blade as my main multi-purpose/ self protection balde, any thoughts or comments.

Strength and Honor

Darren Laur

There was a recent thread on here about the MDP version of the Griptillian where I talked about mine at some length. You should be able to find it in the last couple day's threads.

Short answer is that I REALLY like mine!! Bought a Mini-grip 555s to go with it. Truely first class EDC utility and emergency defensive knifes that dont share the crap out of non-knife people. I am also planning on picking up one of the new purple Mini-grips as soon as my dealer can get one for me.

Purple mini-grips? This is news! Do you have a picture of this thing. I must say I love my 555. :)

Cedric

Nope, can't even get a pic to look at myself, but I have been told that they will be making the 555 and 556 with eggplant purple and dying-grass green handles.

If I can scam up a picture I will post it. Suprised that nobody commented on them from the shot show.

The only complaint I have about the Griptilian is the cheap looking scales. However, for a work knife, this wouldn't really matter.

I have both the 550 and 551 Griptilians, both with plain edge. I've had the 550 longer (about 7 months), and it's been either my main EDC or number one backup EDC all this time. I like the 550's blade better than the modified drop point of the 551, just personal preference.

The 550 is one of the best knife buys out there today, IMHO. It's tough, cuts like crazy, excellent blade steel (440C), and it's one of the smoothest-operating Axis knives I have (along with my 551).

If you get a 550 I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Jim

Found a picture of the new mini-grips!!

http://www.equipped.com/pp/pic793.htm

If that link doesn't work, go to www.equipped.com , click on the Shot Show 2002 link, and scroll down to the Benchmade section. They've got a full sized pic of the new red G-10 M-16s from CRKT. I love having a choice other than "basic black" for knives.:D

Flinx

PS: I usually carry either a Cold Steel Medium (3" blade) Voyager, or a Spydie Delica: How does the mini-grip compare to these two? (No one around here has one yet, so I haven't been able to hold one yet)

Flinx,

Good catch on the pics! I had checked equipped last week and he didn't have the SHOT review up yet and I had not been able to get back there. VERY cool.... Like the purple, and have two wwaaayyyy backordered! :D

I will scan you a comparison between the Delica (pink, frn clip, Mini-Grip 555s and the Calypso Jr. this afternoon sometime. I do not have an easy way of posting it here, but I will email it to you, or if anybody wants to host it I will send it to them so everybody can see.

Basically, the Mini-Grip and the Delica are very close in overall size open. The Mini-grip is VERY slightly shorter when closed, but not enough to make any real difference. Opening the Mini-Grip is easier for me; I can 'fire' the blade open with my thumb which is something that I cannot do with the Delica. The Mini-Grip feels slightly heavier, but not any real difference clipped to Dockers or jeans. The Mini-Grip feels much more secure in my hand due to the multitude of grooves and ridges.

The blades are very very close in overall length, but the Mini-Grip as a fraction more actually cutting edge. I prefer the Mini-Grip sheepsfoot blade profile to the very pointy blade of the Delica for general cutting. It feels like I have a little more control over the tip of the Mini-Grip for detail cutting and it seems to cut cardboard better when I push cut the tip vs the older hollow ground Delica that I have here (this may or may not be the case with the newer flat-ground Delicas). The Delica stabs into cardboard and such much easier (as you would expect) but since I slice much more than I stick with a knife this size this is not a big advantage to me.

I have not played with one of the 556 with the MDP blade, but I suspect it will be quite nice if you like pointier blades and thumb studs.

I no longer have a 3" CS Voyager, so I cannot really make a decent comparison between the two. Based on what I remember from the one that I had but traded off, the Mini-Grip's handle seems to offer a much more secure and easy to index grip.
Danny

Hey, that would be great Revolvergeek! And thanks for the concise comparison. I absolutely love my Delica, but I wish it came a little less "pointy". That's one reason I got so excited when I saw the first pics of the 555. I've wanted a plain-edged sheeps-foot blade for a while, but Spyderco won't make the Rescue JR in anything but Spyder-edge! :) I also appreciate your comment about having better control. I've noticed this when comparing my tanto Voyager versus my Delica; I seem to have more control with the Voyager when making small intricate cuts.

My email is flinx_72762@yahoo.com. My wife has a pink Delica, and I've handled a Calypso Jr. at the local sporting goods shop, so having those in the shot would be waaayyy helpful!

Thanks again dude!

Flinx

Ps: just in case the program wipes it out again, there is an underscore between "flinx" and "72762" in my e-mail address.

Cool, that worked out well then! I will email it to you from work in the morning (scanned them but forgot to put it onto a zip disc to bring home).

Glad to be able to help.
Danny

FWIW, I find the 550's modified sheepfoot blade reminds me more of a "modified spear point." There is a reinforced tip and there is a slight belly to the edge. Regardless what it's called, it's very useful.

Jim

True... I keep calling it a sheepsfoot for lack of a better name, but it is more like a dropped spear point maybe? Kinda reminds me of the old Terzuola Clipit from a few years back.

Darren, I bought an Apache about a year ago, and it has the dual thumbstuds you require. I also have the BM 550, and IMO the Apache is the better of the two for utility AND self-defense. So you might consider getting a new Apache, especially since you're used to handling/deploying it. Check e-bay for some great prices.

Wow! I'm psyched that the mini-Griptilian is coming out in colors. Too bad the lime green is kind of ugly and I don't care for the purple. Hopefully there are more on the way. If blue or maybe yellow or red is released, I will definitely have to get one.

I've had one since they were released
and because of the size ,i have used it for a all
purpose beater ,i don't abuse it but i don't care what
i cut or hack with it , the grips are as you would say
volupsuios (did i spell that right) Beaffy at best.
I love the blade design ,i wish BM would come out with
that sheepsfoot blade say 2 3/4 in a thin g-10 ,and then
i could add that to my collection hehe ;)

Hey, Revolvergeek! Thanks for the photo! After looking at it, I think I am going to order one. Now if I can just decide which blade style to get!:rolleyes:

Flinx

Voluptuous

I believe that's the correct spelling.

And as a 551 owner, I completely agree. I think I'm going to try a 556 next.

Greg

Benchmade has come out with several new models . You can get one with a thumbstud and clip point blade if you prefer . If it's for a hard using blade I'd stick with the sheepfoot's blade . It's much stronger at the tip . Regular model or the mini you'll be happy.;)

I was comparing my friend's 550s and my 555s last night and we noticed that the 550s has only partial steel liners the 555s has full length ones!

I would have thought that they would have done it the other way around, but I guess maybe they were trying to save an ounce or two on the big one? Does explain why the balance felt so different between the two knives though.

I am glad that the 555 is completely lined, 'cause now I can look into getting some custom scales made for it sometime in the future. Maybe some nice micarta for one and some old circuit board (ala the Camillus Cyber-cuda) for another one!!!:D

Back