Your Traditional Knife of 2020

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Jack Black, Dec 12, 2020.

1. glocktenman

glocktenman

Jul 20, 2008
    Now this is very cool. Excellent looking knife.

Getting older and Ace Rimmer like this.
  2. glocktenman

glocktenman

Jul 20, 2008
    I’ve been carrying this 55 for about a year pretty steady. It was a gift from a member here and it’s my steady. It’s one of my all time favorites. I got the RR mini cotton sampler last year and began carrying it some too. It needs to be sharpened though. Maybe I’ll get it squared away tomorrow.

Attached Files:

akaMatt, Don W, aji1 and 7 others like this.
  3. hornetguy

hornetguy Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2015
    I've bought quite a few knives this year, with most of them being acquired with the intent of finding "the one". Several of them are high on my list of great knives, but, surprisingly, the one that gives me the biggest grin to "pocket" is this Case red bone humpback half whittler. It is just a great size, and has two very "usable" blades. A clip main, and a pen secondary. It has also surprised me that I care not a whit that it is the TruSharp steel, and not the CV. So far it has held a screaming sharp edge, with no touch-ups needed. The build quality is most excellent. I can find no flaws in it at all. The blades are swedged, both sides on the clip, and one side on the secondary.
    Adding to the "grin" factor is the price was just about half what a comparable GEC would be. (I got it 'used')
    It's rapidly becoming the go-to knife when I'm trying to decide which will occupy the front right pocket. This one is my surprise KOTY for 2020....

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Wharn

Wharn Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2011
    F4D32806-CA97-4461-A391-B6E96ACE2BC9.jpeg
    This 74 has been in my pocket since I received it. This is my first stag (that I can remember) and definitely won’t be my last.

5. RIP Dequincy Jynxie

RIP Dequincy Jynxie Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Jun 10, 2020
    Just so I understand, what is the cut off for when we acquired the knife in 2020?

Like, a month or two I acquired a mod opinel carbon 8 which would otherwise be a contender. Shortly before that I picked up a Cowboy from Horsewright which would also otherwise qualify as favorite 2020 knife. But what really takes the cake is the JK I recieved as part of JK's secret Santa thing.

So just wondering what the specific cut of? Apologies if you covered this already and I miss it.

Jack Black likes this.
  6. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    In large part, I think this is up to you, and if you feel you can nominate such a recently-acquired knife. It may be, for example, that you have spent years searching for a knife, and finding it is an absolute 'grail' moment for you, in which case I think you could argue that is your Knife of the Year. Otherwise, I think it is more difficult, but there is no formal cut off point :thumbsup:

7. RIP Dequincy Jynxie

RIP Dequincy Jynxie Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Jun 10, 2020
    appreciate your feedback Jack Black :)

Jack Black likes this.
  8. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    LOL! :D Great post Kevin, and a cool choice :) :thumbsup:

A beautiful choice Harry, that's some incredible stag :cool: :thumbsup:

That's very decisive Paul :) Love the pics :) :thumbsup:

Fantastic :) Glad you managed to find another :) :thumbsup:

A very thoughtful and enjoyable post Vince, and you have certainly acquired some nice-looking knives this year. Even with so many beauties, there isn't always one that stands out above all the others though is there? With your current predilection for traditional French patterns, I think this bike would be appropriate for you, as we both cycle off into 2020 my friend ;) :D :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

Tadeusz123, waynorth, RayseM and 7 others like this.
  9. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Good point Barrett, my Bradford Guardian 3 definitely should have an honourable mention, though I think the fact that I forgot about it rules it out as a KOTY :D It's certainly a fine blade, and one of the very few knives I acquired this year :) It's nice to be reminded about SCout's Scout, and @JohnDF 's generosity, as well as that of some of our other fine members :) Great post, and you kept us all guessing to the end! :D :thumbsup:

Prester John, JohnDF and btb01 like this.
  10. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Nice to find a great pattern that you like :) :thumbsup:

THAT's a Knife of the Year! :cool: :) :thumbsup:

Hey Jake, good to see you here buddy :) I'm getting by as well as my bad back will allow :rolleyes: I hope you're keeping well yourself :thumbsup: Wow, that's some incredible work, just a work of art :cool: :) :thumbsup:

Definitely a Knife of the Year :) :thumbsup:

Merry Christmas to you too my friend, I hope you're keeping well, and not working too hard :) That's special :cool: :thumbsup:

Good to see you here Randy, hope you're doing OK :) :thumbsup:

Nice knife :) :thumbsup:

11. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    A pleasure my friend :thumbsup:

12. dantzk8

dantzk8

Nov 1, 2005
    Jack,

Those guys riding a bike and selling onions in Great Brittain were not only French, they were Breton, and not only Breton , they were Leonad, from the Leon country, the north of the very very western part of Brittany. Don't confuse! I'm native from this area and we are known to be proud and susceptive about our origins. The British nicknamed them "Johnnies" probably because the breton first name "Yannig" was very common. Most of them spoke better english than french.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And now i'm homesick.

Dan.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2020
    Tadeusz123, pmek5, RayseM and 9 others like this.
  13. bflying

bflying Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 4, 2014
    For me, I may be picking low on the creativity scale, but it's got to be this years Forum Traditional. I don't think it's that the Viper Swayback is so Uber spectacular or technically advanced. But just a good combination of modern to traditional to good combination of components.

For me, it was simply the nicest traditional that I had purchased all year.....so, Bing Bing....we have a winner.

[​IMG]

Mines the Brunette. My boy got the Blondie.

akaMatt, pmek5, sbh06 and 12 others like this.
  14. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Wow! Why did I not know this?! Thanks for a fascinating post Dan :) I've never visited this part of France, but it looks very beautiful, and that's something I should address :) Apologies for my ignorance :thumbsup:

You're in! :) ;) :thumbsup:

Prester John and dantzk8 like this.
  15. dantzk8

dantzk8

Nov 1, 2005
    Jack,

You are forgiven. If you have the chance, take the ferry boat from Plymouth to Roscoff. You will see there a country which is as beautiful as the north west of Ireland or the Hebrid islands are. Do it before turism has done destroying everything.

Dan.

Jack Black and Prester John like this.
  16. JohnJorgen

JohnJorgen Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 29, 2020
    Last Christmas I gifted my father a Buck 303 Cadet, because he wanted a multi bladed knife. He loved it and carried it everyday until he died in a fishing accident in the start of April.

The doctors found the Buck I gifted him in his pocket when they emptied them, and gave it back to me, and it haven’t left my pocket since. I had it in my pocket when I carried him out of the church and when I lovered him into the ground. I had it in my pocket when, earlier this year, I found out that I myself, is going to be a father.

This will be my first Christmas without him, but guess what’s gonna be in my pocket, reminding me of him and keeping his spirit alive... You guessed it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 14, 2020
    navin74, Tadeusz123, r8shell and 21 others like this.
  17. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    That is the way I would like to travel Dan :) My girlfriend actually went to Brittany about 5 years ago on a work-related trip. She was taking her college students, and so I could not go, but I enjoyed seeing her photos. I have a Belgian friend who moved there with his Breton girlfriend about 15 years ago, and I have always meant to visit them. When I visited France regularly, it was a substantial detour though, and it definitely needs a trip on its own. Well maybe when life returns to normal I can go, I think we'll have all earned a vacation by then :) :thumbsup:

Tadeusz123, RayseM, aji1 and 3 others like this.
  18. glocktenman

glocktenman

Jul 20, 2008
    Thanks Jack! I've had a crazy year in 2020 but I keep rowing the boat hard and it's moving in the right direction now.

Jack Black likes this.
  19. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Glad to hear things are getting easier Randy, I hope your boat stays true to course :) :thumbsup:

20. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    "There are suddenly in this town many onion sellers appearing!" (First episode of 'Allo 'Allo)