You're all carrying your knives backwards!

I just took a quick look at the CM vid, and his method is the opposite of the more legally defensible and threat stopping philosophy expressed in the Mike Janich video in JParanee's post. Matt's advocating center mass thrusts as opposed to the MBC philosophy of "defanging the snake", and Janich talks about both the science and legal aspect, both of which indicate the MBC approach is preferable for 1) stopping the thread and saving your life, and 2) keeping you out of jail afterwards. Don't take it from me, listen to what Janich has to say for yourself. But long story short: just because a wound is fatal and will cause a person to bleed out, doesn't mean he will stop trying to kill you yet. But if you cut his wrist tendons, and the quadricep just above the knee, he literally cannot attack you or chase you, and you (hopefully) don't have to answer for causing the death of another person.

It's ready. I hope this clarifies anything my explanation above didn't do justice to.

@afishhunter I totally respect your experience sir, and I bet that I would look like a klutz if I tried to keep with you in any of your outdoor cutting tasks! Regarding martial arts, or more specifically modern, legally justifiable self defense, and how it ties in with the knife carry method I am advocating, I think you would enjoy a video recently posted by JParanee in PracTac.

The only problem with the video is that you carried the knife with the edge rearward..o_O

After taking a closer look, I guess it is edge forward. Poor video quality. I like my blade canted forward instead of straight up.

Yes, I believe Kydex sheaths for karambits need special care in their construction. That being said, if made correctly (i.e. molded so that karambit doesn't cut its way out of the sheath), I would also use the edge forward sheath orientation for a karambit, such as this little no-ring karambit I made:

To get this type of clearance, I simply cover the inner radius of the blade profile from the tip to the ricasso with cardboard, so that instead of an inner radius where the Kydex can press together, the cardboard keeps the channel clear and I end up with a sheath looking like it belongs to a wharncliffe instead of a karambit.
Awesome!

Turns out standard sheaths are all lefty! Hallelujah! Lefties the world over rejoice!

Seriously why are more sheaths not ambidextrous? It would give options whichever side you wore it on.

interesting idear I hadn't considered there..

I always liked the Charlie Mike (RIP) downward handle sheath setup for drawing. dont own one myself but seen in Matt's videos in the past and it sure looked pretty darn useful and exposed the knife for open carry to meet his state laws...least think he used to say that anyways....

Yep, I have one of his quick draw rigs with a 8" blade and just the handle sticks out below my jacket. It's a fast setup and the knife comes out of the sheath edge out and ready to cut. It covers my arm from my hand/wrist to just about my elbow. Matt was very good at what he did and I sure miss him.
RIP Brother,

This has become Prac-Tacky quickly. Whatever, I usually draw all my blades (whatever size) with the cutting edge forward. Totally utilitarian here. Big blades (worn scanted or tip down on the left for a total righty) : ready to cut. Small blades (worn left, right, vertical, horizontal or crossdraw) : business edge forward is always good. If need comes to hook, a quick rotation of the knife is easy.
I believe the main advantage of drawing spine forward is sparing the sheath. Especially with longer, heavier blades. Well, if you're not in a hurry, spine forward shouldn't be an issue.

Last edited:
I've worn a Buck 102 woodsman or my old puuko since 1969, and with all the fish and game its done, slicing bread and cheese and meat on campouts, and all those vicious tent stakes sharpened from sticks, and kabob sticks and hot dog sticks for the grandkids, I've never needed a reverse grip on a knife. I am not a martial artist of any kind, have never played one in movies or tv, do not carry a knife for self defense, but I have been soldier and been in combat. Our issued Camillus MK2's were carried on the right hip in a standard sheath, edge facing rear. To my knowledge, no soldier was ever killed or harmed by his knife facing backwards for some martial arts thing. No fish or game was ever not felt with because the knife was facing the 'wrong' way.

This needs to be moved to the Prac-tac area for the would be knife fighters.

Last edited:
I believe the main advantage of drawing spine forward is sparing the sheath. Especially with longer, heavier blades. Well, if you're not in a hurry, spine forward shouldn't be an issue.

This is pretty apparent. I can see the sheath slicing as the main reason for not doing it this way. In my case, anyways.

I have the Camillus Fisk OVB Bowie and it'd be a shame to slice this sheath up. I carry it IWB with the frog stud anyways.

The White River Sendero Pack knife (Fisk too!) is easier, but I'm dragging the blade across the kydex with each draw.

I suppose for the tac folks and duelers amongst us, this makes sense. But for me, I'll stay stuck in my rut.

Hey you, with the knife on your hip. Yeah, you! I see you're wearing it with the edge facing backward. You know that's actually the backwards way to carry your knife, don't you? It's better to carry it with the edge facing forward.

I'd agree, but for a different reason :) I'm right handed, but if I carry fixed it's behind my left kidney, edge forward (RH sheet). Why ? I carry a folder in my right front pocket anyways, and this way the fixed "disappears" when sitting in the car, even on long drives. I don't mind pulling the fixed with my left hand ....

I have one sheath designed to be worn on my right hip with the spine facing forward. It's one I made myself...by mistake:oops::p I wasn't paying attention and crafted it for a left handed person despite it being made for my own dumb right handed self;) The nice thing about it was that it was great for one particular job of drawing the blade in a downward reverse ice pick style and slashing open bags on the jobsite. draw, slash, sheath, dump the bag, etc.

I have always liked CM's (RIP) way of carrying his knives. I thought it was a clever way to stay compliant with his laws and still carry something that he felt was large enough for defensive work. As long as the kydex is well made, it shouldn't ever be a problem. Personally, I have carried defensive knives in a similar manner except I either carried a shorter knife or wore it higher on my hip with a more straight-down pull so it didn't bump out in front of me so far. Concealment legality is a non-issue for my neck of the woods.

I've worn a Buck 102 woodsman or my old puuko since 1969, and with all the fish and game its done, slicing bread and cheese and meat on campouts, and all those vicious tent stakes sharpened from sticks, and kabob sticks and hot dog sticks for the grandkids, I've never needed a reverse grip on a knife. I am not a martial artist of any kind, have never played one in movies or tv, do not carry a knife for self defense, but I have been soldier and been in combat. Our issued Camillus MK2's were carried on the right hip in a standard sheath, edge facing rear. To my knowledge, no soldier was ever killed or harmed by his knife facing backwards for some martial arts thing. No fish or game was ever not felt with because the knife was facing the 'wrong' way.

This needs to be moved to the Prac-tac area for the would be knife fighters.

This. Well said.

I USE my belt knives edge down, in a normal grip.

A blade-back handle-up carry makes sense for that.

Back