yum yum...

whilst languishing in my unemployment I have taking up preparing the fambly meals. I am becoming quite the gourmet If I might say so myself. Tonight was simple fare though. Western Omelets and this treat which I have never made before. I thought I would give a whirl at making corn cake...it was yummy..

CrowdPleaserFamlyshot.jpg

Tomorrow...Stuffed Shells, Fresh bread and green salad with my own Vinaigrette dressing..

Last edited:
Should'nt it be mid-western omeletes?:D The corn cake looks great, keep up the good work!

That would go perfect with the venison chili I just made! :thumbup:

Do you ship to Washington? :D

I think an oven a little too hot makes the top crack like that,

how do I know? All my cakes do it.

Any chance you could post up the recipe?

Oh boy I love corn bread with butter on it, a couple of fried eggs and bacon.

Corn bread always brings back memories of when I was a consultant with a elite Marine Unit in route to a Atmospheric Processing center on LV426. We had lost contact with the colony and we were eating a last meal before we deployed when I learned one of our crew was an android...needless to say I was a bit upset. I threw a plate of cornbread at him ...

Corn bread always brings back memories of when I was a consultant with a elite Marine Unit in route to a Atmospheric Processing center on LV426. We had lost contact with the colony and we were eating a last meal before we deployed when I learned one of our crew was an android...needless to say I was a bit upset. I threw a plate of cornbread at him ...

I heard spinach, stewed spinach, was best for androids.

Maybe I heard wrong.

Looks great man! 'should be enough left over for breakfast. cold corn bread and peanut butter washed down with strong coffee. :) Now, KAWN BRED' AND FRYD CHIKIN MAKES a fine breakfast too! :D

So is that sweet corn bread, or the southern style that tastes like plain old corn meal?:p

In all seriousness though, it looks delicious.

Corn bread should be made with creamed corn, cheese, grated onion, bunches of chopped jalapeños and crumbled bacon.

Corn bread should be made with creamed corn, cheese, grated onion, bunches of chopped jalapeños and crumbled bacon.

Hmmm, could be really really good... or gross. Do ya gotta recipe by chance there, Mr. Peanut?

Ren... looks darn good! Make up some home-made honey butter and you will be in heaven!

Do ya gotta recipe by chance there, Mr. Peanut?
Ren may cook from scratch but I use those 6 oz. packages of yellow cornbread mix because the easy way is my way. If you want to make it from scratch you can google "mexican cornbread" and get all kinds of recipes. For me the only way to make it is in a cast iron skillet. The trick being to heat the skillet when you preheat the oven. Be sure and grease it really well with oil or lots of Pam spray. Be careful because that sucker will be really hot when you start messing around with it.
1 egg beaten
1/2 cup milk
1 6-oz package of cornbread mix
1/3 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1/3 cup cream style corn
1 tablespoon chopped onion
2 or 3 or 4 tablespoons chopped jalapeños
2 slices of well done crumbled up bacon (optional)
Heat oven to 400, if you are so backward you don't have a cast iron skillet you can use a greased 8 inch square pan. Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Pour the mix in preheated skillet and bake for 20 -25 minutes until golden brown. These amounts are right for an 8 inch skillet or just double everything for a 10 incher. I like to throw in a couple of cups of peanuts but that is just me and most folks wouldn't like it that way.;)

Please, whatever you do don't let on the boys over in the Traditional forum know that I am sharing recipes. They are a manly bunch and just wouldn't understand.

Last edited:
Nuh-uh. Maybe in Texas where you barbarians live, but in Tennessee and Alabama and North Carolina, cornbread is made with corn meal. No onions, cheese, peppers, although bacon is occasionally good (Fry some bacon in the cast iron pan and use the grease to cook the cornbread.)

That would go perfect with the venison chili I just made! :thumbup:

Do you ship to Washington? :D

Mmm yeah, when looking at the picture I was just thinking to myself, "That with a bowl of chili and I'd be a happy guy."

Back