Yvsa - Does anyone remember him or can help.

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Yvsa's Grandson, Aug 29, 2016.

1. Yvsa's Grandson

Yvsa's Grandson

Aug 29, 2016
    Hello to all! Thank you for adding me to this forum. My grandad, Yvsa Gigagei, was an active member on this site. He 'walked west' in 2012. He left me many of his prized knifes that I will pass to my son and so on. I am trying to learn about the knives he left. Most of them are custom khukuri with very unique symbols and initials. If anyone knew him or can help please reach out to me. Thank you.

2. Don Joe

Don Joe

Aug 12, 2016
    sorry buddy, wish i could be more help

3. Halador

Halador

Jul 6, 2013
    Your grandad Yvsa was an active member and customer of the Himalayan Imports sub-forum, or so I have come to understand. Those khukuries you that mention are likely from H.I. If you head over there and introduce yourself I'm sure you will receive a warm welcome!

4. Yvsa's Grandson

Yvsa's Grandson

Aug 29, 2016
    Thank you so much! You have no idea.

5. Halador

Halador

Jul 6, 2013
    I'm happy to be of help. Best of luck!

6. stonproject

stonproject

Nov 22, 2013
    If you have any obscure knives thay don't fit on a particular manufacturers/makers subforum here, and you want more info, head over to Bernard's knife identification forum, a lot of very educated members over there who can help tell you what you've got.

I hope your grandpappies journey has gone gloriously and full of great frutions! :D

7. fausto nasafiaschi

fausto nasafiaschi

Aug 6, 2000
    Yvsa was indeed one of the original forumites on the H.I. SubForum also known as the H.I. Cantina at the times when Bill Martino (HI founder and a most remarkable gentleman) was alive.
    One of their design a big bowie named Cherokee Rose (IIRC) was originally custom made for Yvsa after his design.

8. arty

arty

Oct 18, 2003
    Check the Hi forum archives. They go back to 2001. You will see posts by Yvsa there.

9. Yvsa's Grandson

Yvsa's Grandson

Aug 29, 2016
    I truly appreciate the information!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Dave Rishar

Dave Rishar

Oct 25, 2004
    Those symbols and initials on the khukuries indicate who made them. As others have said, you'll find what you're looking for in the HI forum.

Your grandfather was a good man. He's still missed.

11. Daniel Dorn

Daniel Dorn Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 21, 1999
    Sometimes you get hit by a brick. Hadn't thought of Yvsa in a while, and forgot he had passed. Now I'm sad all over again.

Hope you enjoy the journey of discovering the beauty of your Grandfather's collection. It is a precious gift to be able to share in his passion, and experience those things which he loved. A great way to feel close to him.